: Tips for removing / disassembling Magnaflow exhaust system?

AAIIIC
08-13-13, 10:17 PM
When I was doing my engine replacement last year I ended up with my Magnaflow exhaust just propped up under the car. I wanted to remove it to have a crack welded up, but lying on my back under the car I had zero luck trying to get any of the joints separated. I would like to remove the system in the near future, but I don't know what tips / tricks there may be to get the slip-fit connections apart after they've been clamped in place for a few years.

Any suggestions?

StretchASU
08-13-13, 10:27 PM
Any chance in just removing it from all the hangers, disconnecting it from the headers and sliding the whole thing out the back of the car so you have more room to work on it?

Id hit the joints with PB Blaster overnight or two and see if that helps. Maybe a little love from a rubber mallet too.

Scott2012
08-13-13, 10:45 PM
Throw some heat at it and a rubber mallet

AAIIIC
08-14-13, 08:17 AM
Now that I think about it, Stretch, I did do that last time - the car was in the garage and I dragged the exhaust out (put cardboard boxes under it to slide on) into the driveway to try to work on it. I tried PB Blaster and banging on it last time without much luck. As I recall, my problem was that there's really no way to get any good leverage to pull the pieces apart.

One thing I did not try was heat, so that would definitely be on the list to try to help loosen up the clamped connections.

jclayc
08-14-13, 10:23 AM
pbblaster, rubber mallet and i rocked mine side to side to get things started

barrok69
08-14-13, 06:11 PM
I had to use an oxy/acety torch on my corsa to get the slip fits apart. I heated up the joints until it was red hot then hammered/pried with a long pry bar with another person pulling and wiggling it....and this was on a hoist. There were no signs of corrosion on it either. And I drove the car in "hot". It definitely goes in much easier than it comes out!

H-town_V
08-15-13, 07:54 PM
This is why I like a saw-zaw and a welder.

lollygagger8
08-16-13, 09:26 AM
Idk how Magnaflow is, but on my B&B, they usually have a flange somewhere where I can get my feet on. I'll lay longways with they piece, and pull with my arms, and push with my feet if it is sticking. Pops off everytime.

If it refuses, cut it.