: XTS platinum wheel corrosion/etching problem

another_lap
08-13-13, 10:34 PM
I have a new 2013 xts platinum (4 days old). I noticed that at the intersection of the polished inserts and rim (tire side of the insert) there is corrision or etching on the aluminum rim. this shows up on all four wheels and most inserts. The corrosion appears as a thin white lines of erosion of the top layer of coating thru to the aluminum. Then I went back to the dealer and saw the same thing on most other xts platinums that have been on the lot 4+ months. This does not polish off. Do others see this on their platinum wheels? Any ideas short of going to the dealer as a warranty issue?

cadillacricket
08-13-13, 11:49 PM
What did the dealer say? I haven't seen this on our stock inventory...

another_lap
08-14-13, 12:15 AM
They said it has to do with our wet humid climate (Houston) and that it is common. Seems to be some metallurgical reaction between the material of the rim and that of the insert. It shows up only in the vicinity of the insert, but looks terrible. Get close to the wheel and look very carefully. They are curving thin white lines on the aluminum rim originating at the base of the insert.

They started talking about refinishing the rim, but that sounds like a poor solution on a brand new car. I saw this on ten other platinums. Anyone have any experience with GM on this?

kipsts
08-14-13, 01:03 AM
They said it has to do with our wet humid climate (Houston) and that it is common. Seems to be some metallurgical reaction between the material of the rim and that of the insert. It shows up only in the vicinity of the insert, but looks terrible. Get close to the wheel and look very carefully. They are curving thin white lines on the aluminum rim originating at the base of the insert.

They started talking about refinishing the rim, but that sounds like a poor solution on a brand new car. I saw this on ten other platinums. Anyone have any experience with GM on this? Can you post a picture that shows it? I just went out and looked at SilverFox, a Platinum that is a year old. I looked very closely and used a super bright led shop light and could not see what you are referring to around the inserts. [I did notice a few areas I missed during my last cleaning :bigroll:] Since it was on all of their cars, is there any possibility that the marks you are seeing were caused by how the dealer washed the wheels and the solution they used? :cool2:

another_lap
08-14-13, 08:41 AM
OK I will post picture soon. BTW I have been to two dealers and saw exact same thing at both on total of ten cars.

another_lap
08-14-13, 09:54 AM
OK I will post picture soon. BTW I have been to two dealers and saw exact same thing at both on total of ten cars.

another_lap
08-14-13, 09:39 PM
attached is the photo of the problem. this is at the base of one insert. This appears on numerous inserts.

btw, i have seen this on ten cars now at two dealerships. it seems to show up on cars that were on the lot 4+ months. Mine was on the lot for 7 months.

the white lines are a small grove that extends through the finish down and into the top of the aluminum. It cannot be polished off.

Does anyone have this problem, and have any experience with dealer or GM response to resolve it?

nstar
08-14-13, 10:31 PM
May be when they install plastic chrome inserts they mar or scratch clear coat which lets moisture get under clear coat. If you can't feel them that could be what is happening.

another_lap
08-14-13, 10:41 PM
I can feel them. It is a subtle groove. A finger nail can "catch" in it.

nstar
08-14-13, 11:10 PM
I bet that's pretty noticeable and ruins look of the wheel hope you get this resolved.
I can feel them. It is a subtle groove. A finger nail can "catch" in it.

kipsts
08-15-13, 01:39 AM
Thanks for posting. That is unfortunate. I definitely do not have anything like that on my wheels. Hopefully they can find a good fix that resolves the problem on your XTS.

another_lap
08-15-13, 11:14 AM
this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of 5 platinums with this problem. that makes 14 out of 16 cars at three dealers in a couple days. Really none of you see this problem? that is starting to seem to me to be statistically unlikely.

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me.

RippyPartsDept
08-15-13, 11:24 AM
I would suggest that you contact Customer Care and see if they can convince your dealer that refinishing the wheel is not the way to go.

Seems to me you should be able to get new wheels under the B2B warranty

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-15-13, 11:45 AM
this AM I went to a third dealer and within one minute found 4 out of 5 platinums with this problem. that makes 14 out of 16 cars at three dealers in a couple days. Really none of you see this problem? that is starting to seem to me to be statistically unlikely.

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me.

Hello another_lap,

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with fixing your vehicle. I would like to look into this for you. Can you please private message me with a brief explanation of your situation, your contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name and location? I look forward to hearing from you and assisting you throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

cadillacricket
08-15-13, 12:48 PM
Reporting in from our dealership, I have confirmed that the one platinum I sold last year has absolutely no signs of corrosion on the wheels whatsoever.. I know this doesn't help you, but I thought I'd mention it. Sorry to hear that the climate down there is (apparently) ruining these rims?!? I'd say to definitely contact Cadillac Customer care and explain the situation....

kipsts
08-15-13, 02:30 PM

I am pushing this because the best way we can find a reasonable solution to this is if customers in mass start complaining to dealers and gm. My dealers notion of dismantling the wheel and refinishing it, with who knows what kind of result does not seem reasonable to me. My wheels look as good after one year as they looked when they were new. Absolutely no similar issues around the inserts at all on any of my wheels. :cool2:

another_lap
08-16-13, 11:55 AM
Kipsts, do you live in a predominantly wet or dry climate?

dennis93coupe
08-16-13, 03:54 PM
I don't think it should make a difference what the climate is. If I can't wash my car once a week then the wheels would have to not have the problem.

TulsaVic
08-16-13, 04:30 PM
I owned a '87 Riviera whose alloy wheels had a center cap that needed to be removed to access the lug nuts. Typically the mechanics would use a screw driver to pry the cap off. The marks on your XTS wheel look very much like the marks that I eventually got on the Riv. Wonder if someone was trying to see if they could pry off the chrome applique.

RippyPartsDept
08-16-13, 05:49 PM
yeah, but on almost all of the XTS's in Houston?

another_lap
08-16-13, 07:56 PM
There is no evidence of prying on my car. It would be noticeable on the insert side. Also, it is impossible that at the 3 dealers I visited and on 14 brand new cars someone tried to pry about 100 inserts on about 50 wheels.

I went to the dealer. The svc mgr took a photo and said he would talk to the gm regional rep. He said he never saw this problem. I told him it is on 4 more cars on his new car lot. More to come...

kipsts
08-16-13, 10:10 PM
Kipsts, do you live in a predominantly wet or dry climate? Vegas is uber dry, most of the year it is in single digit humidity. But I wash her frequently. I am meeting another XTS owner Monday from Toronto and I'll see if his wheels show the problem. :cool2:

CDN XTS
08-18-13, 09:52 PM
Yeah kipsts "uber dry" but it's presently raining here in Vegas. Hope your drive back from California to-day is not effected by the weather. Shouldn't have washed the car this morning. ha, ha, ha. Parked inside so I hope it's not raining tomorrow in order to take some pics of both cars. Anyway, presently no such problem an my XTS with those 20 inch rims, having driven them in bad winter weather for the first 3 months and lots of rain thereafter. (built date Jan 10) but my 1995 SLS had problems on it's alloy rims after a few years in loosing air do to pitting just at that area and they hat to take the rubber off and grind them. My 2003 STS came with very expensive 18 inch Chrome BBS rims (already dealer installed). Those had a real problem as the chrome flaked off after about 4 years. Said to be due to the snowy winters in Toronto. However, I later found out they had a widespread manufacturing problem, closed/bankrupt the company to avoid recall issues and stared a new company. So much for German quality by a previously highly regarded company. LOL So I was out of luck. Anyway I had them totally stripped and then silver painted and they looked good. I then used them for my (new) winter set purchasing new rims for the summer. So perhaps there is/was also a manufacturing problem with a given "batch" of those rims on brand new XTS's. They may well be made by a different company for GM.

joesboat
08-25-13, 07:28 AM
I have a new 2013 xts platinum (4 days old). I noticed that at the intersection of the polished inserts and rim (tire side of the insert) there is corrision or etching on the aluminum rim. this shows up on all four wheels and most inserts. The corrosion appears as a thin white lines of erosion of the top layer of coating thru to the aluminum. Then I went back to the dealer and saw the same thing on most other xts platinums that have been on the lot 4+ months. This does not polish off. Do others see this on their platinum wheels? Any ideas short of going to the dealer as a warranty issue?

If your rims are chrome or polished aluminum with clear coat on top of them then the rims have a 90% to start pitting/peeling/flaking and every dealer is going to tell you it's Mother Nature a.k.a. They won't do anything for you.

Look at every car with similar rims forms Kia to BMW, they all do it. I even went to the manufacturer and they still held the same stance. I'll never ever buy any sort of rim aside from raw aluminum for a garage queen or silver paint w/clear coat for a daily driver.

----------

yeah, but on almost all of the XTS's in Houston?

It's not the screw driver or anything like that. As you said ... On all XTS's????

It's the crappy rim itself.

eperon
08-25-13, 08:00 AM
I have the exact same problem on my XTS which just crossed over 2,000 miles -- yet a baby! I brought the issue to the attention o my salesman. He said he'd ask the body man about it and get back to me. That was a month ago. I'm still waiting....
I live in Columbus, Ohio, which can also get very humid... but I'm suspecting that humidity has nothing to do with it.
It is indeed a disappointment in this brand new car. But then, I've got bigger issues... I'm taking her back in Monday to get a bad wheel bearing addressed....

Oh, sigh.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-25-13, 05:03 PM
I have the exact same problem on my XTS which just crossed over 2,000 miles -- yet a baby! I brought the issue to the attention o my salesman. He said he'd ask the body man about it and get back to me. That was a month ago. I'm still waiting....
I live in Columbus, Ohio, which can also get very humid... but I'm suspecting that humidity has nothing to do with it.
It is indeed a disappointment in this brand new car. But then, I've got bigger issues... I'm taking her back in Monday to get a bad wheel bearing addressed....

Oh, sigh.

Hello eperon,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you as part of the Cadillac family. I am sorry you are experiencing issues with your XTS. I see you are bringing your vehicle into the dealer for your bad wheel bearing. Are you planning on discussing the wheel corrosion issue with your service advisor? I recommend this since you will already be at the dealer and due to your salesman not getting back with you. Please let me know how everything goes. I am happy to further discuss any questions and concerns with you. I can be reached via private message or by email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

another_lap
09-02-13, 05:24 PM
Its been 10+ days now, still no response from my dealer who was in communication with the regional Cadillac rep. Guess its time for me to follow up again.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-03-13, 12:28 PM
Its been 10+ days now, still no response from my dealer who was in communication with the regional Cadillac rep. Guess its time for me to follow up again.

Hello another_lap,

I am sorry it's been many days since you have heard from your dealer in regards to your situation. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us, please reach out via private message. Include your contact information, VIN, current mileage and name and location of the dealer you are working with. I look forward to hearing from you and seeing how I can assist you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

goblue123
09-13-13, 09:57 PM
My dealer replaced 3 of my 4 rims after I pointed out the corrosion on my 2013 XTS Plat. rims. Not a single issue in replacing them! Great service.

another_lap
10-09-13, 10:26 PM
I started this thread 2 months ago. After a long process involving the regional cadillac rep, I now have four new rims. They first confirmed that other cars at other dealers had the same corrosion/etching problem.

They did a nice job. The new rims were not damaged in any way while mounting tires or rims to the car. It is better balanced than before, the car it totally smooth now.

kipsts
10-09-13, 10:32 PM
Glad to learn you got the corrosion issue resolved. :cool:

RippyPartsDept
10-10-13, 02:12 PM
thanks for the update
glad it got sorted out

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-10-13, 09:59 PM
My dealer replaced 3 of my 4 rims after I pointed out the corrosion on my 2013 XTS Plat. rims. Not a single issue in replacing them! Great service.
Hello goblue123,

I am glad to hear that your dealership replaced 3 out of your 4 rims when you brought this concern to their attention! Be sure to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I started this thread 2 months ago. After a long process involving the regional cadillac rep, I now have four new rims. They first confirmed that other cars at other dealers had the same corrosion/etching problem.

They did a nice job. The new rims were not damaged in any way while mounting tires or rims to the car. It is better balanced than before, the car it totally smooth now.
Hello another_lap,

I apologize that it was a long process, but I am glad to hear that you received four new rims due to this issue. I am also happy to see that the vehicle is better balanced and rides totally smooth now. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this concern. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

420sun
02-25-14, 03:28 PM
I have a 2013 XTS platinum. My wheels have corrosion on them as well. The car is only 6 months old. They blame it on the salt up here in NY state. I am ready for a battle on this. I had a similar problem with my GMC Denali. My GMC dealer made it right though. My Cadillac dealer doesn't seem to be very supportive at this point. They are trying to brush it off. For 65k + that's not going to happen!

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-26-14, 10:39 AM
I have a 2013 XTS platinum. My wheels have corrosion on them as well. The car is only 6 months old. They blame it on the salt up here in NY state. I am ready for a battle on this. I had a similar problem with my GMC Denali. My GMC dealer made it right though. My Cadillac dealer doesn't seem to be very supportive at this point. They are trying to brush it off. For 65k + that's not going to happen!

Hi 420sun,

I can see how dealing with wheel corrosion would be frustrating and I would be happy to look into it for you. If you would like, please PM me your VIN, contact, and dealer information and I will get right on it. If you are unable to PM me, please email me at socialmedia@gm.com with "Attention: Austin" in the title. Have a great day.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

420sun
03-03-14, 07:49 PM
Austin,

I sent you an email regarding this my wheels

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-04-14, 09:18 AM
Austin,

I sent you an email regarding this my wheels

Hey 420sun,

I received the email and have responded. Keep an eye out for it and we can continue our discussion that way.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

newopp
03-10-14, 04:40 PM
My xts is 1 1/2 years old with 45,000 miles on it. They replaced 3 rims 6 months ago because of the corrosion problem. Now 2 more are bad. that means 5 out of 8 had corrosion problems. They have never had a problem replacing them. But I now have a 60K (that is now worth 35K) car that I have had for 18 months that is about to go out of warrenty. They will not put different rims on it. I think I am screwed!!! How was your problem taken care of. I am from WV so they will try to blame it on the salt!!

420sun
04-01-14, 09:39 PM
Austin J,

I sent you a new email tonight. My dealer is not very supportive. I brought it to their attention 3 times now. Nothing is going to be done by them. Please see what can be done from your end. This is going to be an ongoing problem, it is a design flaw, Plastic wheel spokes attached from behind is not a good design. Any road grit gets trapped behind the spoke and etches away the chrome finish on the aluminum part of the wheel.

Bill Z.
04-01-14, 10:08 PM
My 2013 XTS platinum is exactly one year old, and is getting 4 new wheels tomorrow due to corrosion at the juncture of the wheel rim and the false inserts. No hassle at all from the dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-02-14, 09:41 AM
Austin J,

I sent you a new email tonight. My dealer is not very supportive. I brought it to their attention 3 times now. Nothing is going to be done by them. Please see what can be done from your end. This is going to be an ongoing problem, it is a design flaw, Plastic wheel spokes attached from behind is not a good design. Any road grit gets trapped behind the spoke and etches away the chrome finish on the aluminum part of the wheel.

Got your email, 420sun. We can further discuss your concerns via that medium.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

ptcummings
04-02-14, 09:58 PM
Out of curiosity, for the folks that have had the rims replaced: Do they replace them with an improved rim so the same thing won't happen again? or with the original type so it will be a recurring problem?

Bill Z.
04-03-14, 06:44 PM
I got four new wheels yesterday for my 2013 XTS Platinum, under warranty. Although they are the same design, it appears that they are a little different in that the chrome false spokes do not touch the outer diameter of the wheel. The mounting tab just leaves the chrome a hair away from the aluminum rims, to prevent the corrosion by dissimilar metal. Hope this works.

Lizbill
04-04-14, 04:22 PM
I looked at the picture on page 1 of this thread and them looked at my rims (19"). I don't see any separation between the "spokes" and the rim; it is all one piece. What plastic are you talking about? That little round thing in the center of the hub?

Bill Z.
04-04-14, 07:01 PM
This thread is about the 20" wheels on the Platinum XTS. I don't think it applies to the 19" wheels.

Griff39
11-21-14, 08:32 PM
I just bought a 2013 Platinum, before I drove it off the lot I pointed out this same corrosion. (Car has 10,000 miles!) The dealer ordered me 4 new rims! I really hope this is not going to be a recurring problem. He said it was because the previous owner probably used some after-market cleaners, which I don't believe. Another person told me that it's from brake dust and the new pads are high in metal or acid or something and that's what's causing it. I will be keeping my rims clean, hopefully that will prevent it in the future.

kipsts
11-21-14, 08:47 PM
I just bought a 2013 Platinum, before I drove it off the lot I pointed out this same corrosion. (Car has 10,000 miles!) The dealer ordered me 4 new rims! I really hope this is not going to be a recurring problem. He said it was because the previous owner probably used some after-market cleaners, which I don't believe. Another person told me that it's from brake dust and the new pads are high in metal or acid or something and that's what's causing it. I will be keeping my rims clean, hopefully that will prevent it in the future.

I think it has more to do with a bad batch of wheels then how one cleaned them and definitely not brake dust... SilverFox has 13k miles and not one spot of corrosion or any other problem with the original Platinum wheels.:cool2: