: Replacement wheel core charge question

TomD1951
08-13-13, 08:59 PM
Hello,
My XTS was slightly damaged on the right rear quarterpanel when a young driver cut it too close parking next to me.
The wheel sustained enough damage to warrant replacement. I told the collision manager at my Cadillac dealer I wanted the old wheel. I thought if this happened again I would have a spare tire so the wheel could be sent out for repair instead of springing for a new one (no spare tire, just an air pump).
He told me that there would be a core charge in addition to the $628.00 for the wheel.
Has anyone heard of this? I have but it was for generators, ac compressors and the like, not wheels.
Thanks for any info.

Tomko
08-13-13, 09:28 PM
GM started this several years ago.

I've been charged core on my aluminum wheels going back five years.

The last one I bought from eBay. And although it was labeled as first quality, GM overstock, what I received was brand new but obviously a production second that could not be sold as new. It had obvious flaws in the chrome that can be seen from ten feet away.

I regret being greedy and trying to save a dime by going eBay. Lesson learned - again. I will return my wheel business to the dealer where I can be assured of first quality.

TomD1951
08-14-13, 08:28 AM
Thanks Tomko,
I suppose there is always some new creative way to separate us from our dollars.

ddawson
08-14-13, 10:32 AM
That's what life is about, "how can I separate you from your money".