: What should I do with my Caddy

The83CoupeD
03-20-05, 03:00 AM
I have a 1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. It has the HT4100. Im trying to decide what I should do with it. Thoughts of swaping the engine have crossed my mind many times. I was thinking of going with a 350 Olds. The problem is im 16 and with gas prices as high as they are, it makes me just want to fix the valve cover leak it has and get rid of it. Dont get me wrong, I love how the car looks and feels but the exteme lack of power turns me away from it. Give me your opinons on whether I should invest in an engine swap or fix the small problems it has, sell it, and buy somthing else. Thanks.

Destroyer
03-20-05, 12:30 PM
I have a 1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. It has the HT4100. Im trying to decide what I should do with it. Thoughts of swaping the engine have crossed my mind many times. I was thinking of going with a 350 Olds. The problem is im 16 and with gas prices as high as they are, it makes me just want to fix the valve cover leak it has and get rid of it. Dont get me wrong, I love how the car looks and feels but the exteme lack of power turns me away from it. Give me your opinons on whether I should invest in an engine swap or fix the small problems it has, sell it, and buy somthing else. Thanks.
I remember being 16 and I have to say an old Caddy with a 4.1 just wouldn't cut it although it is probably the best thing for you (big old and slow). In your case the best solution IMO would be to get a decent import car that gets good mpg and is reliable, it will be faster than the Caddy no matter what it is.

The83CoupeD
03-20-05, 01:50 PM
Alright thanks, dont know if I want to go with an import, but definatly a smaller/quicker car.

90Brougham350
03-20-05, 03:19 PM
Well, if you're mechanically enclined, most pull-it-yourself junkyards sell complete engines pretty cheap, you could grab a 350 out of an old pickup or blazer for $150. If you wanted to take the tranny with as well, that is another option. Basically, engine swaps are not the easiest thing in the world, but with a little guidance, anyone can do it.

Brian

davesdeville
03-20-05, 03:19 PM
Get a motorcycle and keep the Caddy for when it's raining or too cold to ride. Not much gets better mileage than a motorcycle.

DPGC23
03-20-05, 03:36 PM
No no no

How can you tell him to get an import?????
whats wrong you with you man , ha

Sell it, get yourself something in the 90's era.

Keep it CADDY

DPGC23

The83CoupeD
03-20-05, 03:54 PM
Well I am pretty much mechanically enclined. I would need to rent or purchase and engine picker, but do you think its worth it? Also what engine/trans would you reccomend me going with? Thanks again.

Fred Fachman
03-20-05, 10:16 PM
If it's gas mileage you're concerned with, just about anything you put in the '83 will produce worse mileage than the HT4100. I would assume you get 20 plus MPG with it now and honestly thats about the best you'll get. I would keep the '83 and get an extra job to pay for the gas. The only other option is to get a smaller domestic car. I was 16 once and have always had a Cadillac, but gas was 50 cents a gallon when I started driving and I know I have had second thoughts about my Escalade purchase recently. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Destroyer
03-21-05, 07:14 PM
Well, if you're mechanically enclined, most pull-it-yourself junkyards sell complete engines pretty cheap, you could grab a 350 out of an old pickup or blazer for $150. If you wanted to take the tranny with as well, that is another option. Basically, engine swaps are not the easiest thing in the world, but with a little guidance, anyone can do it.

Brian
Yes he can probably pick up a motor from the local pull it yourself junkyard but ever wonder why the car in the junkyard is there in the first place? No telling how many miles on the motor you buy and how or if its even gonna run. I consider those motors cores for rebuilds.

Destroyer
03-21-05, 07:20 PM
No no no

How can you tell him to get an import?????
whats wrong you with you man , ha

Sell it, get yourself something in the 90's era.

Keep it CADDY

DPGC23Well I'm factoring in that he needs good reliability and decent mpg/performance. This is a young kid with limited cash flow remember. I just cant think of one small engined American car that I can actually recommend. Also, other than a Fleetwood I really cant think of an 80's-90's Cadillac that I could recommend. I never liked FWD for luxury cars and the Northstar motors arent the most reliable motors around and are costly on repairs. The 4.1 - 4.9 motors I dont care for either personally. I do like the '00-up Devilles though but I dont think he's going to buy one that new.

Kev
03-21-05, 07:28 PM
My first car at 16 was a '67 Bug.
Here's what I would do;
Fix the valve cover leak, tune, clean and maintian the car as best you can until you can:
Find a good small block and tranny to rebuild that will fit in it,
Mod the above to the limits of your pleasure and ability but keep in mind, you want to live to see the future! ("Don't be stupid!" lol )

My best buddy took a '63 Chevy II, swapped the original inline 6 and Powerglide for a menacing 350 in front of a TH400. He kept it white with stock steel rims, no hub caps. It was a beauty of a sleeper! Had a lot of fun in that car.

90Brougham350
03-21-05, 09:30 PM
Yes he can probably pick up a motor from the local pull it yourself junkyard but ever wonder why the car in the junkyard is there in the first place? No telling how many miles on the motor you buy and how or if its even gonna run. I consider those motors cores for rebuilds.

In my book, there's 2 types of vehicles at the junk yard. Those that are there for drivetrain, and those that are there for total. I believe (this is just my opinion) that if you can clearly see a vehicle has been totalled in an accident and the engine/trans look fine and the mileage isn't 400,000, the swap is worth it. It's the vehicles at the junkyard with a few minor scratches and dents that scare me engine/trans wise. However, all a matter of personal preference.

Brian

The83CoupeD
03-21-05, 10:42 PM
Ok, thanks guys. Looks like im going fix the small problems and ride it how it is untill I can find an engine and trans or save up some for another car. Thanks for your suggestions and keep them coming if you have any others. Other things I would like to know is what engine size/engine make/transmission I should look into if I go about the swap.

evilrussian
03-22-05, 07:17 PM
Just get a Chevy 350 and drop it right in. Use a carb instead of FI, to keep things simple. Everything else bolts right up without a problem. You can do it by yourself under a grand, motor included.

The83CoupeD
03-22-05, 08:55 PM
alright thanks. Im not saying your wrong but, I thought i read somewhere that a 350 Chevy wouldn't bolt up to that trans. Could you or somone verify this and wont I also need new motor mounts?

Kev
03-22-05, 09:06 PM
Motor mounts shouldn't be too much of a problem. You may even be able to bolt the right ones in without too much difficulty.
Not sure if the 350 would mate up with your original trans, that's why I suggested getting an engine and tranny together. But, see what others have to say.

evilrussian
03-23-05, 12:43 AM
If it's a 200_4R tranny it will bolt up, it has both Chevy and BOP holes on the bellhousing. Yours is a HT4100 and you should have 200_4R.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-24-05, 11:55 AM
How about a 1991-96 Park Avenue Ultra / Park Avenue or an 1991-96 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight or Toronado/ or a Pontiac Bonneville or a Buick Riviera. These cars are quick, safe, good on gas (21 mpg on a naturally aspirated 3800 or about 18 on a supercharged 3800) and they are the next best thing to a cadillac. i almost bought one for the exact same reason you are shopping for a new car-- fuel economy, at the time i had a 1995 Roadmaster Limited with the 5.7 LT1-- about 12.9 mpg average, i went out and bought a 1992 Sedan Deville with the 4.9 and now i get about 15.8 avg. but those 3800s are some of the best motors to ever come out of GM. 200k miles easy im actually thinking if fuel prices stay above $2.50 a gallon for regular octane for more than 6 months i might go out and buy a car with a 3800 or a Honda Accord, the only reason i would go with the accord is that i would like to have a stick shift and they get like 26 mpg. and im going to college in a half a year so i need to save as much money as possible.

ShadowLvr400
03-24-05, 12:11 PM

You could do a strange engine/drivetrain swap. Could take a truck deisel, run some extra mufflers to tone it down, etc. With decent gearing, one of the many deisel truck motors could make for an interesting overall ride. Dodge's Cummins deisels are relatively compact at 6.0L Turbo I6. Or go to GM's new Duramax's. The additional bonuses are insane torque, solid horsepower, durability, and some interesting power mods these days. I've had some plans to do a performance deisel build for some time, but my funds currently limit me a lot.

jaykeMURD
11-15-05, 11:02 AM
I've been pondering on the ol FWD 4100. I love my 85 Eldorado Coupe, I just hate that HT4100. I'd love to drop a Chevy 350 in it. I've got mechanical experience with Chevy engines. As far as trasmissions, mine is shot, so if I did do an engine swap, I'd need a new one. Could a TH350 or TH400 or similar fit in place of the stock FWD trans? I'd love to buld somewhat of a "sleeper" out of my eldo...that would be so wicked.

caddieboy
11-15-05, 11:34 AM
How much do yuo drive? Try www.fueleconomy.gov

You can calcluate fuel economy, change gas prices and km driven per year to your liking. I found the difference between a 307 and a 350 to be $100 a year if driving 15,000 miles. I drive much about two thirds that, so it's hardly a difference. I'd go with the 350.

The83CoupeD
11-17-05, 11:56 AM
Thanks, i forgot to update but i did end up going with a 350. Its out of a 68 buick skylark, which has almost 300Hp stock. The swap has kinda been slow cuz its extremely cold here in Michigan. I do have the engine/trans pulled but still workin on gettin the new one in.