: N*--Built by ISUZU????

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-19-05, 09:56 PM
My father's coworker just bought a 1997 Seville, and my father heard from his coworker that the Nortstar is built in japan by Isuzu?!?!? I know on the engine cover it says "built exclusivly for cadillac by general motors", which could explain this. I always thought the N* was built in America by Cadillac. Is it true, a Cadillac motor built in Japan???

Spyder
03-19-05, 10:03 PM
Not true at all... don't know where that info came from, unless, of course, I'M mistaken... :)

danbuc
03-19-05, 10:29 PM
WHAT!!! :annoyed: . If any GM engine is built in Japan, it's probably those Ecotec 4 bangers they use in the Saturns and stuff. I hear they blow a lot of head gaskets.

Ranger
03-19-05, 11:07 PM
Northstar, made in Japan :histeric:
It's made in Lavonia Michigan.

BeelzeBob
03-20-05, 12:05 AM
I can positively assure you that the Northstar engine is currently, and always has been, manufactured in Livonia, Michigan. It is not made in Japan..... There was no involvement whatsoever with Isuzu on the Northstar engine.

The Ecotec engine is also manufactured in the US at Tonawanda, NY. There are several different versions of the Ecotec engine as it was designed as a global engine. It is also manufactured by Saab and in Germany for Europe. It is not made in Japan.

Possibly the Isuzu rumor started with the Isuzu connection with the diesel engine in GM trucks. The Duramax was a joint design and development project between GM Powertrain and Isuzu. The Duramax is manufactured in the US, also, but it obviously has an Isuzu/Japanese heritage of sorts.

Eric2203
03-20-05, 12:10 PM
To stay on the subject, I was once told that the N* was designed by Yamaha, which I found very strange, lol. Although I wouldn't know... but that'd be the first I hear of it.

BeelzeBob
03-20-05, 01:16 PM
To stay on the subject, I was once told that the N* was designed by Yamaha, which I found very strange, lol. Although I wouldn't know... but that'd be the first I hear of it.

No....it wasn't designed by Yamaha....nor Lotus....nor Oldsmobile....nor Cosworth...nor Mercury Marine....nor Warren Johnson...nor Ilmor...nor..... all of which I have heard at one time or another were "rumored" to have designed or developed or participated in the origination of the Northstar engine.

davesdeville
03-20-05, 02:37 PM

The Taurus SHO V6 was a Yamaha engine.... maybe someone was just very confused on which engine he was talking about.

caddydaddy
03-20-05, 08:26 PM
No....it wasn't designed by ....Oldsmobile....all of which I have heard at one time or another were "rumored" to have designed or developed or participated in the origination of the Northstar engine.

Really? Someone on here claimed that it was developed by Oldsmobile, but Cadillac "stole" it for thier cars!

So the Northstar is a purely Cadillac originated design?

cadydaddy
03-20-05, 08:49 PM
i herd john deere had a hand in building the n*

*rolls eyes*

eldorado1
03-20-05, 08:54 PM
Oldsmobile built a prototype "quad 8"... there are a few pics of it floating around, but it vanished into thin air. It has many simularities with the northstar, but I'm pretty certain they are different builds. Makes you wonder where the original quad 8 went though... http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/shhh.gif

BeelzeBob
03-20-05, 10:08 PM
The Northstar was a complete clean sheet of paper desing done solely by Cadillac Powertrain engineers. I can positively swear to this as I know the deisgners that did the orginal layout and architectural drawings and I was there when they were doing them. There was no involvement with Oldsmobile or any other division at the time. The Quad 4 or "Quad 8" design study had nothing in common with the Northstar. The Quad 4 was a cast iron block engine. The cobbled up Quad 8 had a completely different head design, different timing drive setup, etc... nothing in common nor was the Quad 8 even part of the original Northstar design study.

illumina
03-20-05, 10:29 PM
Bbob...You're wrong! The Northstar was made by BMW and you know it...:D

I also heard that the same designer/engineer that made the 4.9 liter hybrid/mule Northstar (remember that one?) is the one who made the current generation Northstar and the last generation Northstar...Like I said, they were made in Sweden by Volvo!!!

dkozloski
03-20-05, 10:50 PM
Wrong again, Bbob got the whole idea from the 1918 Peugeot.

morroccoz1
03-23-05, 12:14 AM
Lets face it, if it were built by Isuzu, it would never leak, burn oil, or blow gaskets. Considering that it does, we know it is GM. Hey don't get me wrong, I love mine, but the fact of the matter is.....

davesdeville
03-23-05, 02:47 AM
Yeah instead the timing belts would eat it, it wouldn't seem to burn oil but then it would seize from a lack oil, the ABS would quit..

Randy_W
03-23-05, 08:00 AM
Isuzu, perveyor of such great auto milestones as the Impulse!:rolleyes2 Built on Chevette platforms with underpowered oil guzzling engines, but at least they were really slow and ill handling!:histeric:

dkozloski
03-23-05, 11:14 AM
And then we have the most notable Isuzu of them all, Joe Isuzu!!! He's the guy that started the Cadilllac/Isuzu story.

Randy_W
03-23-05, 01:03 PM
And then we have the most notable Isuzu of them all, Joe Isuzu!!! He's the guy that started the Cadilllac/Isuzu story.

"This car gets 300 mpg" (Joe Isuzu) "This man is lying" (Unseen comentator)

Stoneage_Caddy
03-23-05, 01:09 PM
One of my heros ....
http://www.abraxasgroup.net/images/Joe_Isuzu.JPG

95Concours
03-23-05, 07:52 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/8576cadillac_deville_joe-thumb.jpg

Wrong AGAIN BBOB! A picture is worth a thousand words.. Face it, Joe was in that design room with you. I heard he's the one that made the call to go with a timing chain in lieu of a belt. ;)

NEPA_Z
03-23-05, 08:06 PM
None of this is nearly as disturbing as the use of a chinese communist-built chevy V6 in the Equinox.... :eek:

BeelzeBob
03-23-05, 10:18 PM
None of this is nearly as disturbing as the use of a chinese communist-built chevy V6 in the Equinox.... :eek:

At least GM gets to sell a lot of cars there......

BeelzeBob
03-23-05, 10:33 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/8576cadillac_deville_joe-thumb.jpg

Wrong AGAIN BBOB! A picture is worth a thousand words.. Face it, Joe was in that design room with you. I heard he's the one that make the call to go with a timing chain in lieu of a belt. ;)

NO...actually he was the one that insisted on putting the engine in there sideways.....LOL LOL

caddydaddy
03-24-05, 08:30 AM
DAMN YOU Joe Isuzu!!!!