: Bolt in Locker for 8.5 rear end

N0DIH
03-19-05, 09:36 PM
Summit, Jegs and Randys Ring and Pinion offer a bolt in locker for many common rear ends out there. Power-Trax Lock Right and Easy Locker are a couple names I have found. http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html

Anyone have any experience with them? Having a one legger sucks.....

It is $400 and you can bolt it in your car with common hand tools, no removal of carrier from the axle housing. The old name or a competitor was "Lock Right".

It locks if both axles are traveling the same speed. If one is FORCED to go slower or faster, the mechanism unlocks and allows differentiation. If you lift a wheel off the ground, then it remains locked. It only unlocks in when a wheel is FORCED to move slower than the other. i.e. it has to be on the ground...

Tom

90Brougham350
03-19-05, 11:10 PM
8.5 inch huh? That would be Coachmaster Package and Tow Package I think, didn't regular Broughams and Coupe DeVilles come with the 7.5" Well, I'm interested, I don't mind the limited slip, but 2 driving wheels are better than one.

Brian

N0DIH
03-19-05, 11:26 PM
I know the HT4100 cars were 7.5's (3.42's std, 3.73's high alt, yes guys, cheap upgrades!), and with Oldsmobile division, the 7.5 in was standard on the Delta 88 in 1985, and optional 8.5 was available, with the 307 Olds engine.

I assume with te 350's std after 91 (weren't they?) the 8.5 was back for all. I have a V4P car (7000 lb tow), so I would be VERY surprised it if wasn't an 8.5 (or 8.6, as it was later upgraded to).

I don't care what anyone says, the 7.5/7.625 is a tough rear end as long as you don't put slicks on or put a 500 CID torque on it and it hook up. I have seen them take a phenomenol amount of abuse.

Consider this, all 82-up Z28/Trans AM's had with the Aussie 9 bolt or the 7.5/7.625 rear end. It can take a lot.

The PowerTrax unit is available for the 8.5/8.6 and 7.5/7.625.

Tom

scurling
03-20-05, 12:25 AM
The Fltwds. are 8.5 inch.

The Powertrax looks very interesting. Any idea what they cost? I didn't see any prices on the web site, or literature.

Night Wolf
03-20-05, 02:36 AM
This would work with the 8.5" 10-bolt in my '79?

How exactly is this different then a Posi then? you can disable it right? when doing a brake stand or accelerating from a stop, woudln't 1 wheel be forced to spin faster then the other?

what about turns?

N0DIH
03-20-05, 04:11 AM
This would work with the 8.5" 10-bolt in my '79?

How exactly is this different then a Posi then? you can disable it right? when doing a brake stand or accelerating from a stop, woudln't 1 wheel be forced to spin faster then the other?

what about turns?

Nope, that is only if you are in a turn. As long as both tires are turning the same ,and at the same speed, then it is locked. Even if one is off the ground, it is locked. But if you are in a turn, tight enough that there is speed differential of the 2 tires, then it unlocks to allow you to navigate the turn.

Remember, the only reason a one legger does one leg is the engine turns clockwise (as you look at the fan, which is why we eat drivers side engine mounts) and that goes through the trans to the rear end that way, and than we learn about for every action is an equal and oppposite reaction. The axle housing also wants to turn same way, so that wheel is lifting up, but the body is pushing down and the power is returned to the engine through the body to the engine mounts. The axle also wants to nose up, and the pinion wants to climb the ring gear. A lot of forces at work here.

You can do what Charley, "Oldsmagnet" did, add airbags in that spring and preload it and then it won't be able to lift and it will hook up much better, or get a real posi. He had his dialled in to near posi equal traction in the back.

The cost of the power trax unit is around $400 at Summit. Some variance in price, but that is average.
Tom