: 79 coupe deville grill

afaia1978
08-13-13, 10:02 AM
i am just looking for some advice on painting the grill off my 79 deville. the original
plating that was on it was peeling off horrible so i stripped it all off. i was wondering
what color i should spray paint it since i can't afford having it chrome plated? not sure what would look best, a chrome looking paint or a silver? anybody got a suggestion?

Reverend Hearse
08-13-13, 11:15 AM
I've got a few extra chrome grilles , 78 and 79

deVille33
08-13-13, 11:49 AM
There is a chrome-like paint you could try. Available from Sperex which doesn't look too bad. It is one of their polyurethane enamels, part number SP525. Mask off the flat silver ( lot of work on that grille ) that was behind the front edge and just spray the front edge of the grill openings. ;)

bigm57ict
08-13-13, 11:55 AM
That sounds like a lot of work if you want it to look factory. Even then, it won't be the same.
I would just try to replace the grill.

cadillac kevin
08-13-13, 12:31 PM
That sounds like a lot of work if you want it to look factory. Even then, it won't be the same.
I would just try to replace the grill.

This. You will spend about the same on an original grille as you would (in paint and your time) trying to make yours look factory.

afaia1978
08-13-13, 02:27 PM
i'm not necessarily trying to get the exact factory look. i am on a very and i mean very tight budget and was
just hoping to get some options that have been tried before and would look good. i appreciate the replies
though. the grill has already been stripped down so i don't think the painting would be too much trouble.

----------

just curious, what are you asking for the grills? where are you located?

csbuckn
08-13-13, 05:01 PM
What color is the car? I'd try a cool color like black or the same as the car. If you don't like it, grab another grill. Spray painting chrome is gonna look rough after a year or so, the grill takes too much abuse. Maybe if you put a few coats of chrome on spraying at the right flash time, it may look good.

talismandave
08-13-13, 07:38 PM
What color is the car? I'd try a cool color like black or the same as the car. If you don't like it, grab another grill. Spray painting chrome is gonna look rough after a year or so, the grill takes too much abuse. Maybe if you put a few coats of chrome on spraying at the right flash time, it may look good.

You da man!:highfive:

That was the first thing I thought of when I read the question.

Pop up a picture of the car and our panel of experts will consult and come up with the perfect matching or contrasting color as is called for!:grouphug:

Trying for chrome will look cheap not just be cheap! IMHO

BigPoppaD
08-14-13, 10:28 AM
Color match it or if you want to try a fake chrome, use a real glossy black, then the chrome, helps deepen the look a little. But it still will look like a fine silver