: Consumer Interest in Full-Size SUVs Waning

HotRodSaint
03-18-05, 02:50 PM
Consumer interest in full-size SUVs has dropped substantially over the past year, according to new-vehicle retail transaction data from the Power Information Network. (http://www.ai-online.com/industry_detail.asp?id=774)

Playdrv4me
03-18-05, 06:45 PM
Every large SUV from GM, including the Avalanche, Suburban, Escalade (all forms), Hummer H2 and Denali all have at least 1500.00 in cash back plus financing incentives right now.

Elvis
03-18-05, 08:36 PM
GM dramatically cut production of the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban line late last year. I think the deals will probably go away by the end of this year. It's the gas prices, I'm sure.

That's a damn shame.

davesdeville
03-19-05, 03:27 PM
I like it. I want less SUVs on the road. Less SUVs means less gas used which means cheaper gas for my Caddy. Plus if I'm in an accident I want to be the bigger vehicle.

majax
03-20-05, 02:18 AM
This is a good insentive for GM to make better cars, I am glad people are buying less.

Rolex
03-20-05, 09:33 AM
I agree it's a good incentive for GM to step up and become a player in hybrid technology. Or perhaps they could begin using the technology that shuts down some cylinders during normal driving, and kills the engine while stopped to help gas mileage.

slk230mb
03-20-05, 10:18 AM
I agree it's a good incentive for GM to step up and become a player in hybrid technology. Or perhaps they could begin using the technology that shuts down some cylinders during normal driving, and kills the engine while stopped to help gas mileage.

They do, it's called Displacement on Demand (DOD). Some of the 2005 vehicles have it, even more for 2006. I know my dad's 05 Yukon XL has it.

Elvis
03-21-05, 05:49 PM
see also: 8-6-4, circa 1981.

ben72227
03-21-05, 05:59 PM
see also: 8-6-4, circa 1981.

Yeah and we all know how well that turned out:histeric:
It was supposed to be GM's big innovation. Unfortunately, the computers that controlled the cylinders (or were SUPPOSED to control the cylinders) didn't work so well:thumbsup:

Hopefully this DOD stuff works and GM learned their lesson;)

Playdrv4me
03-21-05, 06:02 PM
Actually, I dont know that displacement on Demand works entirely like 8-6-4 did at all. DOD actually kills the entire engine when the vehicle coasts to a stop. A special device added to the engine then maintains all the electrical devices and compressors running as necessary, when you need to go again, DOD fires up the cylinders again. So it doesnt actually cut off individual cylinders as far as the way it was originally designed to work.

Rolex
03-21-05, 07:50 PM
They do, it's called Displacement on Demand (DOD). Some of the 2005 vehicles have it, even more for 2006. I know my dad's 05 Yukon XL has it.

It just seems to me they would advertise this more. This could be a strong selling point with the prices of gas nowdays. I never found one full size GM suv with this technology when I was car shopping.

RobertCTS
03-22-05, 09:49 AM
I think the SUV will be replaced by the more efficient Stationwagon. Dodge has started it on the American shores with its Magnum. My wife just got one. Did you see the CTS wagon concept?

caddydaddy
03-22-05, 09:55 AM
If they put an LS1 in it, it will be a Magnum Hemi killer!

Playdrv4me
03-22-05, 09:57 AM
I highly doubt that would be produced, it would be cross-shopped with the SRX too much, and in the end hurt the SRX's already somewhat weak sales... too much of a gamble.

RobertCTS
03-22-05, 10:00 AM
I highly doubt that would be produced, it would be cross-shopped with the SRX too much, and in the end hurt the SRX's already somewhat weak sales... too much of a gamble.

But it's the way to go if America grows sour on the SUV and gas prices keep going up. Looks pretty cool to me:yup:

Chevrolet also did a concept stationwagon based on it's old 2dr Nomad.

Playdrv4me
03-22-05, 10:19 AM
But it's the way to go if America grows sour on the SUV and gas prices keep going up. Looks pretty cool to me:yup:

Ill give you that, it does look pretty cool, and Id probably drive it. But aside from that, the only other wagon I could stomach is probably a fast Volvo Wagon. They just arent me.

HotRodSaint
03-22-05, 10:29 AM
Did you see the CTS wagon concept?

I never saw that one. It rocks!!

I am a fan of that Nomad concept. But more for what it's potential could be.

Imagine GM with a sub-compact RWD platform that could produce a this, the Solstice and a 2/4-door sedan model range.

They'd quickly own the sport compact market. RWD is better for drifting and drag racing.

BeelzeBob
03-22-05, 10:41 AM
I was considering an Escalade but once I saw 13/17, my muscles involuntarily walked me out the door...

Jesda
03-22-05, 12:23 PM
I celebrated mildly when I achieved 18.2 mpg last week on Friday. My best mileage ever. If I slowed to 65 and closed the sunroof, perhaps I could crack 19 or 20. Wouldnt that be nice?

An extra few hundred bucks a year wont stop me from driving what I love.

RobertCTS
03-22-05, 12:36 PM
I celebrated mildly when I achieved 18.2 mpg last week on Friday. My best mileage ever. If I slowed to 65 and closed the sunroof, perhaps I could crack 19 or 20. Wouldnt that be nice?

An extra few hundred bucks a year wont stop me from driving what I love.

Jesda,
I don't make it to lounge forum very often because I'm obsessed with the CTS. But when that forum gets slow I wander over here. A couple of questions for you if you will. It appears that you do not own a Cadillac but yet you are a moderator.
How are you able to bring in depth knowledge of the Cadillac to the Forum? Please understand I'm not challenging you, only interested how that happened. In the CTS & CTS-V Forums the moderators own and are experienced with the cars as well as being forum policemen.:hmm:

davesdeville
03-22-05, 05:33 PM
Actually, I dont know that displacement on Demand works entirely like 8-6-4 did at all. DOD actually kills the entire engine when the vehicle coasts to a stop. A special device added to the engine then maintains all the electrical devices and compressors running as necessary, when you need to go again, DOD fires up the cylinders again. So it doesnt actually cut off individual cylinders as far as the way it was originally designed to work.

I do know that it works like the 368MD. DOD shuts down 1/2 of the cyls. Like the 8-6-4 it keeps the valves on the cyls closed, it just does it with special lifters rather than through the solenoid controlled rocker arms of the 8-6-4. DOD does not kill the engine.

Playdrv4me
03-22-05, 05:37 PM
Well, then I have the terminology wrong. DOD in other words is not a form of hybrid at all, its just a an improved economy thing like the MDS in Chrysler vehicles.

The project I am speaking of, is a special accessory fitted to the engine that is a very light duty hybrid technology. It only does its job when the vehicle coasts to a full stop, thereby cutting the engine and running all electrical devices, and returning the engine to operation when the throttle is pressed again.

kjd03842
03-25-05, 12:46 PM
I think the SUV will be replaced by the more efficient Stationwagon.

I believe SUV's took off in sales because station wagons affected the CAFE numbers too much. SUV's, since they were 'trucks', were subject to different standards. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy).

Most SUV's are just 4wd station wagons anyways.

RobertCTS
03-25-05, 01:02 PM
I believe SUV's took off in sales because station wagons affected the CAFE numbers too much. SUV's, since they were 'trucks', were subject to different standards. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy).
Most SUV's are just 4wd station wagons anyways.

The SUV's now are rated as cars. They are big, they are heavy and very poor aero and mpg. That's why the SUV is waning and "stationwagons" are starting to surface..Dodge Magnum and Volvo being the leaders.