: dreaded oil leak...?

juiceE
03-18-05, 01:10 PM
so yesterday i had my mechanic put on my slotted rotors and the greenstuff pads, an i asked him to take a look @ a lil leak i have under there.

... so he tells me that the leak is coming from the back of the engine by the tranny, telling me the job would cost over $300 because he would have to take out the tranny just to get to the prblm...:hide:

i think i remember readin some posts about this or something close to this, is this a common occurence?... shit id much rather look into alternatives, or maybe even try to tackle this my self (and ruin my car :yup: ) ...regardless, any one got similar experiance:confused:

scurling
03-18-05, 07:25 PM
Juice,
Sorry, can't say I've had oil leak problems with my '94s except from hoses. How bad is it leaking? Are you sure it's oil and not trans fluid? How did he deterime the leak source/location.

I did have a trans. seal wear out at the rear shaft output, where the cone shaped extension is located on the back of the transmission. That was only a $100.00 bill.

89fatb
03-18-05, 09:19 PM
most likely he is talking about the rear main seal. it is at the back of the crankshaft. you do need to remove the transmission to replace it. yes they are very common. pretty much every GM v8 leaks there. as for alternatives just try some cheap oil stop leak.

ocjmakaveli
03-19-05, 02:20 PM
DON'T try oil stop leak they are garbage and will do more to ruin your engine than to stop that leak I would rather have a leak and just fill in the oil weekly than use the oil stop leak.

in 2 years that I tried radiator stop leak and engine oil leak stopper and transmission oil leak stop ETC. NONE HAVE WORKED only way to get it to stop is to actually fix the problem.

I really don't trust them because after I used some radiator stop leak in a friends minivan we had to replace the radiator because it got clogged up and the minivan overheated.

Real bunch of crap those are gimmicks for the QUICK-fix that DON'T exist.

cmgrafmc
03-19-05, 05:06 PM
Yeah, stay away from Bars-Leak and similar products. I have to use it in my Seville, GM requires a couple of tabs in the radiator every now and then, and it's prevented lots of problems that other people have had with their 1980's Sevilles ('80-'85). As for your car? Steer Clear.

carguy16
03-19-05, 11:04 PM
I have an oil leak on the front of my 94 FWB engine, just deal with it, add oil, like i do. I put a couple roofing shingles under my car, so they leak on it, and they wont blow away.

Im thinking of using Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic, supposedly it has stuff that will help your seals, but I dont know if it will work...

TripleBlackCadillac
03-20-05, 04:04 PM
I have an oil leak on the front of my 94 FWB engine, just deal with it, add oil, like i do. I put a couple roofing shingles under my car, so they leak on it, and they wont blow away.

Im thinking of using Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic, supposedly it has stuff that will help your seals, but I dont know if it will work...

It only helps if you use it before you have the leak, you'll just be throwing away your money.

thepitboss
03-26-05, 12:37 PM
As far as the quick fixes go I will say that I had one product that worked well, it was gunk bearing seal. I had a rear main leak that I put this stuff in about 5 yrs ago and now the only leak that I have is where I am missing a bolt on the oil pan. IF you follow the instructions that is on the product you have a better chance of the product working. I know that I get a lot of customers that come in and want the quick fix and I simply tell them that they are for temp use and may not always fix the problem. If you are wanting to temp fix a problem then fix it later I would try it, also if you get to know your guys at the auto parts store and find someone that has a good working product knowledge.

carguy16
03-26-05, 08:44 PM
Wait a minute, how are you brakes with the slotted rotors and green stuff pads? I want all the details, I want to get this done to the front.

so yesterday i had my mechanic put on my slotted rotors and the greenstuff pads, an i asked him to take a look @ a lil leak i have under there.

... so he tells me that the leak is coming from the back of the engine by the tranny, telling me the job would cost over $300 because he would have to take out the tranny just to get to the prblm...:hide:

i think i remember readin some posts about this or something close to this, is this a common occurence?... shit id much rather look into alternatives, or maybe even try to tackle this my self (and ruin my car :yup: ) ...regardless, any one got similar experiance:confused:

juiceE
03-28-05, 12:33 PM
the rotors are power slot and i only put about 300 miles since i had em on, so they'v been really good, but i want to see how they hold up, because i havent even put my rims on yet, an tomarrow might be 70 degrees out so i might put em on then, then the real test will be how long b4 these warp

N0DIH
03-28-05, 02:36 PM

Synthetic will likely make the leak worse. Avoid. The ester/diester base stocks are much harsher on dirt and will clean up any sludge and make it leak worse.