: Transmission shift a little rough...

ErnieE
03-18-05, 12:00 PM
I have a 97 Catera with about 76,000 Miles on it. When the car is cool and you start to drive off down the street the trany is shifting a little rough into second gear. When I say rough I mean sometimes I dont think its going to shift into second because the RPM's are climbing a little high and then it goes into second. The wife is the only one that drives the car so its just regular driving conditions. After the car warms up it seems to shift fine. Anybody have any ideas because this is not normal.

Thanks,
E

stevehogan
03-18-05, 12:16 PM
Here's what GM has to say about cold shifting in the Catera:

Document ID# 773783
1998 Cadillac Catera Info - Cold Shift Pattern (Normal Condition) #01-07-30-001 - (01/16/2001)

Cold Shift Pattern (Normal Condition) 1997-2001 Cadillac Catera

with Hydra-matic 4L30-E (RPO ML4)

Some owners of the above vehicles may comment on increased or higher engine speeds when the vehicle is driven immediately from a cold start. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) software contains a function that modifies shift speed speeds when the engine is cold. When activated, this feature will delay the shifts 10 to 15 km/h (6 to 9 mph), depending on the throttle angle.

The cold shift pattern enables if all of the following conditions exist:

The engine has been running for 5 seconds.
The engine temperature is between -40C and +30C (-40F and +86F).
Vehicle speed is 0 km/h (0 mph).
The cold shift pattern is disabled under any of the following conditions:

60 seconds after activation.
If throttle angle exceeds 60.5 percent.
Vehicle speed exceeds 50 km/h (30 mph).
This is a normal condition, no repair should be attempted.

-------------------------------------------
So unless you are experiencing something significantly different that described in this bulletin, there is nothing wrong. Hope this helps.

ErnieE
03-18-05, 12:27 PM
Steve Thank You, you dont know what a relief that is to hear. Or maybe you do :) Im afraid Im going to be a regular on this forum as Ive had all the known problems and then some.

Thank You !!