: Want high performance exhaust but still has to be a date car too. Ideas??

coltmckinney
08-11-13, 06:40 PM
Hello,
I just finished putting new new pads, drilled rotors, and tires on my '04 CTS-V.
I have been thinking about putting cutouts in the exhaust because I'd love to have more HP. I don't mind a throaty exhaust sound when I'm on the pedal but I don't want the car to be loud if I'm going out on a nice date....any suggestions on what to do to increase HP by modding the stock exhaust? Hi-flo cats? IDK...
If I DID put in cutouts, I heard that they HAVE to be downstream of the cats or I will get a "check engine"...

CTSVLSX
08-11-13, 08:24 PM
Corsa exhaust with high flow cats and X-pipe (with resonators). It's loud when you step on it but relatively quiet while cruising because of the resonators.

Dan_Gurney
08-11-13, 08:32 PM
Date chicks who like loud cars.... I have the Corsa on my car ( no high flow cats yet) and agree, it sounds great outside, but can be quite when you want it inside (i have no problems on long road trips with it)

sgtdestruction
08-11-13, 08:37 PM
+3 on Corsa. I have magna flow with high flow cats and it is loud all the time. Have heard Corsa and it is a small rumble other that at WOT.

BigDaddy-V
08-11-13, 09:37 PM
I am going with Corsa too! I have mine on and like it! About to put an x pipe in to give it a little more bark and some high flow cats as well! It has good mellow tone but you can hear it when you are on it!

You can always do cut outs too but I have some friends that didn't like them after awhile.

BDV

coltmckinney
08-11-13, 09:43 PM
OK, so if I put on Corsas, how much horse power would I expect to gain? Maby 15 HP? Do you get them at Summit or where?
thanks for the input!

BigDaddy-V
08-11-13, 11:55 PM
I couldn't tell you that. Mine was on the car when I bought it and never dynoed mine yet to see where she is at! I know my wife like the sound! If that helps at all. Not sure what will happen when I do the high flows and x pipe as far as sound goes but I am sure I will like it!

BDV

RyRidesMotoX
08-12-13, 12:12 AM
Just do long tubes and 3 inch pipes all the way back. If she doesn't like loud cars then leave her at the valet line.

Course I HAVE been drinking so that idea may be bit skewed.

lollygagger8
08-12-13, 09:36 AM
If the girl doesnt like loud cars, then trade her in for one who does.

JFensty
08-12-13, 11:06 AM
HP gains with catback are negligible. Gains generally come from header and/or high flow cats.

Muffler delete is quiet while cruising but gives you a good rumble at WOT. And by far the cheapest exhaust.

heavymetals
08-12-13, 11:47 AM
You have a car that is the equivalent of FOUR HARLEYS.

It should sound (at least!) as loud as one.

HAMSTAR
08-12-13, 03:51 PM
I've got magnaflow muffs with anti-resonance j pipes. Result is a very low pitched burble at idle, roar st WOT and NO DRONE. Looking to sell and go back to stock muffs. Let me know if you're interested.

rand49er
08-12-13, 08:32 PM
Don't expect much hp from any cat back. Just enjoy that beautiful music.:cloud9:

Scott2012
08-12-13, 08:36 PM
Corsa
Don't worry about hp until you add headers, intake and tune it properly

barrok69
08-12-13, 08:41 PM
I have longtube headers, hiflow cats and the corsa catback and it sounds awesome.
Quiet just bumbling around town, but hella loud when you step into it.

I have to put plastic bags on the passenger seat when my gf sits shotgun :yup:

Perfect date car combo :)

Naf
08-13-13, 02:28 AM
Ok, you want a nice growl, but quiet enough to hear your dates...

Headers with cat and a stock catback.

You will gain good power a nice growl and you dont have a LOUD car...

Corsa is a bad call for a date car, its loud. I should know i have own three different kits on three different cars and they are all loud.

If you want gut out the rear mufflers for a little more growl but not noise...

HAMSTAR
08-13-13, 04:26 AM
On an uncammed car, headers with stock catback just gives you the typical header valvetrain / truck noise. It doesn't sound special at all.

lollygagger8
08-13-13, 09:21 AM
Funny how everyone wants a quiet car for dates, but once they put a ring on 'em, they want a loud car so they can't hear 'em talk.

sssnake
08-13-13, 09:57 AM
Between my stereo and my exhaust I almost never have to listen. Damn I love road trips.

coltmckinney
08-13-13, 10:06 PM
Scott2-12, Not what I wanted to hear but I know you are right.

Barrok69, that sounds perfect!

Naf, that sounds good too.

BTW, what size are the stock pipes? 2.5"?

StretchASU
08-13-13, 11:04 PM
Stock pipes are 2.5"...For what you are looking for I would just do cutouts.

Check out this setup...He's claiming no drone on the highway with stock resonator. Seems mellow but just a little more muffled than a straight up muffler delete. Dynomax Bullets in place of stock mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnEhaE_FBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9XgYPO4qtk

I have gone through tons of threads on the web about CTS-V exhausts and it all seems to be a crap shoot. Find something you're happy with and roll.

Naf
08-14-13, 04:19 AM
stock is 2.5"

253ctsv
08-14-13, 05:12 AM
Hello,
I just finished putting new new pads, drilled rotors, and tires on my '04 CTS-V.
I have been thinking about putting cutouts in the exhaust because I'd love to have more HP. I don't mind a throaty exhaust sound when I'm on the pedal but I don't want the car to be loud if I'm going out on a nice date....any suggestions on what to do to increase HP by modding the stock exhaust? Hi-flo cats? IDK...
If I DID put in cutouts, I heard that they HAVE to be downstream of the cats or I will get a "check engine"...

I have kooks headers, cat delete, corsa with h pipe. If I get on it its super loud, but under 3k rpm not bad. Its also my "date" car I suppose. Took a girl out Friday. She said it sounded fast (I stayed out of it) but its not like we were yelling over engine noise or anything

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-14-13, 10:04 AM
Even with headers, no cats and cutouts you can still carry on a conversation at normal volume levels.

D.K
08-14-13, 12:27 PM
Kooks headers + custom catless Borla catback = surprisingly quiet.
Nice low rumble, no raspiness, gets loud when you step on it but not in that screaming bloody murder kind of way. No drone, and only slightly more audible over stock when inside the car.

RyRidesMotoX
08-14-13, 01:55 PM
I'll trans a video of my setup when I go to work this afternoon. It sound MEAN but its not bad at all inside.

EDIT: Here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmZ_SCZ4uOk&feature=youtu.be

lollygagger8
08-16-13, 10:00 AM
B&B headers/xpipe/catback + cam. Car alarms have no chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwYtr5GKBvk

RyRidesMotoX
08-16-13, 10:33 AM
Car alarms have no chance.

I always kind of feel bad because I get off work at night and even if I am lugging the motor by this one car on my street it makes the alarm chirp a few times... I literally have to coast by the damn thing.