: a few questions i have.

cadydaddy
03-17-05, 03:50 PM
one question is this:
i have been researching cadillacs to make a good buying decision,and in my search i see that reliablity is all over the board.
i have reseached,using the search function,the infamous headgasket epedemic and alot of people blow them with 30-50k on the clock?
then i seached for high milelage and alot of guys are getting 180 to 200k plus with no major things going bad.
is the avg somewhere inbetween or do you all think it has to do with how the car is drivin?
ive herd 1/4 miles runs and nitrious? lol did i walk into the civic forums?
id have to think that stuff could contribute to failur?

also,if i buy a used cadillac,im guessing around 30-40k miles,and its from a dealer,can i buy a full warranty?
what if i buy p.p. and not a dealer?
what would a warrant cover? bumper to bumper? and what is the cost?
lets say a headgasket went at 3-4k a pop thats horrible,would the warranty cover this in full?

thanks everyone who can provide these answers.

caddydaddy
03-17-05, 04:11 PM
The warranty whether from a dealer or private is 4 years or 50,000 miles. Dealers usually have "Certified" cars that have up to 100k miles. And yes, the warranty would cover anything that happens to the car.

cadydaddy
03-17-05, 04:23 PM
what would the warranty cost? suppose would depend on current mileage on the car?
im sure the 4yr/50k would be cheaper on a 25,000 mile car over a 50,000 right?
the cert cars from the caddy dealer would be alot higher priced i assume?

CADDYDADDY,DANG YOU...I TRIED TO USE THAT EXACT NAME,BUT I SEE NOW WHO HAS IT. LOL

caddydaddy
03-17-05, 04:31 PM
The factory warranty is free, comes with the car. Aftermarket or extended factory warranties that go up to 100k miles cost extra. And yes, the lower the mileage on the car, the cheaper the extended warranty. The certified Cadillacs are more, but have full coverage usually up to 100k miles.
I bought my 2000 STS in 2003 with 44k on it. The factory warranty covered all the repairs up til 50k miles. I bought an extended warranty from American Auto Warranty that covers an additional 4 years or 100k total miles. So far, they've paid for a replacement fuel pump, so that was $600 I didn't have to spend!

I've been the CaddyDaddy here for over two years! You're trying to steal my name!

cadydaddy
03-17-05, 04:40 PM
so the 4yr/50k mile is the standard one. is that fully transfurable between owners. must be i guess.
so then,i can buy a extended from anywhere? sounds like good insurance just to do that then. thanks.

cadillacmike68
03-17-05, 05:25 PM
one question is this:
i have been researching cadillacs to make a good buying decision,and in my search i see that reliablity is all over the board.
i have reseached,using the search function,the infamous headgasket epedemic and alot of people blow them with 30-50k on the clock?
then i seached for high milelage and alot of guys are getting 180 to 200k plus with no major things going bad.
is the avg somewhere inbetween or do you all think it has to do with how the car is drivin?
ive herd 1/4 miles runs and nitrious? lol did i walk into the civic forums?
id have to think that stuff could contribute to failur?

also,if i buy a used cadillac,im guessing around 30-40k miles,and its from a dealer,can i buy a full warranty?
what if i buy p.p. and not a dealer?
what would a warrant cover? bumper to bumper? and what is the cost?
lets say a headgasket went at 3-4k a pop thats horrible,would the warranty cover this in full?

thanks everyone who can provide these answers.

There have been some 2.1 MILLION (maybe more) Northstar engined Cadillacs built since 1993. That's qute a LARGE number of vehicles out there. :eek:

Regarding "extended warranties" My advice is to ONLY get either a "Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned" car - available only from Cadillac dealers, or a General Motors Protection Plan - Majorguard policy. Either can be purchased as long as the basic 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty has not expired.

The so called "aftermarket" polices are for the most part nightmares. :banghead: Read on edmunds forums about extrended warranties if you have any doubts.

kjd03842
03-17-05, 05:31 PM
Speaking of warranties, I am looking into an aftermarket warranty by the Great Lakes Warranty Corporation. www.greatlakeswarranty.com

It is an unlimited mileage warranty, of various terms. I put approx 30k/yr on my car, so unlimited mileage for 36 to 48 months is very appealing. The 3 yr/36month most companies offer would only last me about 15 months.

Has anyone here ever heard of this company? It seems to be on the up-and-up from what I have researched so far.

Thanks
KD in NH

caddydaddy
03-17-05, 05:31 PM
so the 4yr/50k mile is the standard one. is that fully transfurable between owners. must be i guess.
so then,i can buy a extended from anywhere? sounds like good insurance just to do that then. thanks.

Yes, it's fully transferrable. There are aftermarket warranty companies to look out for, but there are good ones.

NewCaddyFan
03-19-05, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=caddyda There are aftermarket warranty companies to look out for, but there are good ones.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody know of which companies these are? Actual dealings or links would be most apppreciated.

Ranger
03-19-05, 06:16 PM
There are some specifics given near the end of this thread (2nd page).
http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5405