: radio prob

jsrey79
03-17-05, 01:58 PM
whats everyone im having probs with radio, onstar, and interior lights. whenever i start the car a fuse labeled clamp blows and none of the 3 things work. but when i turn off the car they work. what does that fuse control and how can i fix it. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance guys.

CateraSport
03-17-05, 02:28 PM
Ouch, sounds like an annoying problem. I wish I could help, but if I were you I would let the dealer take care of it.

stevehogan
03-17-05, 03:26 PM
I believe that you are refering to fuse 26 (there are a number of them described as CLAMP). Fuse 26 powers the radio and the interior lights. When the car is turned off , the radio receives power through an alternate path from fuse 8 (for a few minutes or until the door is opened). Fuse 26 feeds a lot of stuff, including exterior lighting - the front left and right side marker lamps, the middle tail lamp and the rear license plate lamps. It also feeds the transmission control indicator and the HVAC control. And it feeds the headlight switch where the dimmer control is located for the instrument console lights.

The fuse is blowing either because of an overload or a short. ASSUMING that everything in your car is OEM i.e. you did not recently add an aftermarket stereo with a 60,000 watt amplifier to this circuit, or replace the side marker lamps with new laser-bright bulbs, then you are looking for a short (possibly a pinched wire) somewhere. If any accessories were installed (by the dealer or anyone after the factory), inspect the wiring to those first. This includes the OnStar installation as many of those were done by the dealer.

If you know how to remove the headlight switch, do that as it will isolate a portion of the wiring. (It could be a short in the dimmer circuit of the headlight switch, but that is unlikely.) If you don't feel comfortable removing the headlight switch, turn the panel dimmer control all the way to "dim" and see if the fuse still blows. If so, it PROBABLY is not one of the instrument lights. (Could still be the headlight switch.)

Then inspect the exterior bulbs that I mentioned. It is possible for a bulb to fail in a shorted condition. If all bulbs check out good, then inspect the witing to the exterior lights. The middle tail light is wired through a harness that goes into the trunk lid along the side of the left (drivers side) trunk lid. Inspect that CAREFULLY for pinches or breaks. (I found a pinched wire in my car at that location and had to repair it).

This is a tedious process but eventually you will find the problem.

Hope this helps.

ErnieE
03-18-05, 09:32 AM
I just went through a similar problem with my 97 Catera. The radio would shut off for no reason but if I turned the car off and then back on the radio would work again. Turns out the wiring harness on the back of the radio was bad so I wired around it and then I also noticed the wires from the climate control were pinched behind the radio bracket. I was having problems with that also off and on so we will see if that helps.

stevehogan
03-18-05, 10:29 AM
Ernie makes a good point. Fuse 26 does feed the radio and the climate control. If either has ever been removed, the wires might be pinched in the mounting brackets. definitely worth a look. :banghead:

jsrey79
03-18-05, 09:41 PM
thanks for the info guys. ill let you know what happens, im going to start taking a look at it right now. keep your fingers crossed.

jsrey79
03-21-05, 12:52 PM
hey guys the fuse is not fuse 26, its fuse 10 labeled clamp, it seems to control the radio, onstar, interior lights and rear middle tail light on the hood. i replaced it and got it working for a few minutes, i checked the lights and radio and they all worked but then it blew again and the tail light when out with it. hmmm, i checked most of the wiring dont know where else to turn to except the dealer now. any suggestions. i appreciate it ahead of time. thanks.

jsrey79
03-21-05, 12:54 PM
what exactly does the BCM (body control module) control?

stevehogan
03-21-05, 02:06 PM
The BCM does a LOT of things related to lighting, the radio, etc. However, that is probably not your problem. Now that we know it is fuse 10, we need to take a different path. Fuse 10 does 4 things: 1) it provides an "Ignition ON" signal to the BCM, telling it that the key is in the ON position, and to therefore enable the radio and a lot of other stuff; 2) it provides a similar signal to the HVAC control head; 3) it provides coil power for the cooling fan relays; and 4) it provides the power to the Heater Water Auxilliary Pump. I suspect that the Heater Water Auxilliary Pump is drawing too much power, probably because it is siezed up or something like that. Try unplugging the auxilliary heater water pump connector and see if the fuse blows with the pump unplugged.

stevehogan
03-21-05, 02:25 PM
BTW, the Heater Water Auxilliary Pump is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side. It is mounted on the inside of the wheel well. It has two water hoses going from the front of the pump back to the rear of the engine. The connector is located at the rear of the pump.

jsrey79
03-23-05, 07:38 PM
gotcha man, i would have checked your message earlier but ive been working alot. ill keep you posted, thanks alot.

couter
04-19-05, 03:36 PM
yes same prob fuse 10 thanks

gofer
04-19-05, 08:15 PM
alright, how do you get the dang thing off and what happens if that is the problem. do you leave the pump unplugged. bear in mind that i am car retarded and the fact that i hate this pos with a passion doesnt help much.

gofer
04-20-05, 05:13 PM
Got mine fixed. The problem was that pump, however i dont think that it is a water pump. the mechanic that i talked to said that it had to do with emissions and therefore is not that important to have plugged in. the connector on the back of it was dang near melted together so it wasnt working anyway. put a 10 amp fuse in and it worked like a charm. hope that helps someone.