: Intake Manifold leaking oil at rear, Crazy Fix idea.

lacville78
08-10-13, 04:46 AM
So it turns out the rear of the intake manifold gasket is leaking oil when the engine is running. The leak is very small and the oil very slowly comes from a small section in the back of the manifold. Like a line of oil.
I grabbed some intake sealant and brake cleaner and cleaned the area up a bit and tried shoving the sealer in the area. I will check things out tomorrow to see if it works. I kind of doubt it will, but there is no real pressure, as the oil just barely seeps out.
If this doesn't work I'll be pulling the manifold.
This might be crazy :bonkers: but I figured it can't hurt anything to try it.

brougham
08-10-13, 10:08 AM
It probably won't work/last too long but hey it's worth a shot and beats pulling the intake.

lacville78
08-11-13, 12:37 AM
After letting the sealant cure, I ran the car for 1/2 an hour. No Leak at all! :cool2:
This might buy me some time, until the weather cools down and I can do it properly without getting a heat stroke.

The Ape Man
08-11-13, 10:47 AM
RTV silicone applied over a hospital clean joint allowed to cure for 24 hours works great. Done it many times on fleet vehicles with tons of blowby.

This is however an unusual spot to develop a leak unless the manifold has been off and the gasket job was in trouble.

If the leak comes back take a good hard look at the oil pressure sender.