: Tip a mechanic? or not...

powerglide
03-17-05, 12:54 AM
Are you supposed to tip your mechanic?

ClickandClack says ofcourse, but others say maybe.....what do you guys think.

PS I just did tip my mechanic. It was good fair service and they were cool.

I also gave a couple bucks to the guy who gave me a lift home/and back.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-17-05, 01:03 AM

yah i always got myself a beer when i was done...

but really , i never heard of it ...but you know itd probably be the right thing to do to tip the tow truck dude ....but the mechanic ... i dunno for sure ...there ussuly makeing a killing on parts and labor ...but if hes a employee of a shop and not a owner or something liek that then yah it might be right to get him a tip , cuz by the time the money from your bill gets to a guy on the floor of a midsize shop it might be small pay

Kev
03-17-05, 01:06 AM
I'll tell you, if you start tipping and then forget once, don't go back! :helpless:

Jesda
03-17-05, 02:04 AM
Tip them with doughnuts and gift certificates. Dont tip with cash. Cash tips are intended to boost the incomes of those who depend on gratuity. Mechanics do not depend on gratuity, as shown by their hourly rates.

DopeStar 156
03-17-05, 02:27 AM
Seeing as you pay for parts and labor, wouldn't the labor charge be his tip? You are paying him for his time.

90Brougham350
03-17-05, 11:05 AM
That's true, but I'm not really sure what I should do. Fleet Farm busted my hood ornament off last weekend putting a new battery in, and they offered to put the new one on for free, so I'm having it done tomorrow. They're paying for the $70.00 ornament and the time it takes, so should I tip in this situation?

Brian

DopeStar 156
03-17-05, 11:17 AM
That's like going to a restraunt and they accidentally dump a buncha salt on your dessert. I wouldn't tip them, they screwed up and are making peace with you. Just thank them and make sure they know that it's no big deal. People make mistakes. I'm sure some guy just leaned on it wrong and it snapped, not like they were trying to tow your car from it. Just tell them as the latinos say, "'s cool homes."

90Brougham350
03-17-05, 12:52 PM
Yeah, the technician caught it with the inside of his coat. But it sure was funny to watch the way they perked up and gave me the royal treatment when the dude walked back in with it in his hand. I saw it in his hand, my jaw dropped, and I just kind of moaned the way someone who crashes a rental car without rental insurance might. He looked right at me and said, We're very sorry, Mr. Lundquist, we'll order you a new one right away! Please excuse our mistake." And then the guy started telling me how much he liked my car and to just let him know if there was anything they could do for me, it was like a family member had died, lol. I didn't care that much, it happens, but with 9 other customers, it was fun to suddenly become priority #1.

Brian

evilrussian
03-17-05, 02:04 PM
If it is some young kid who does oil changes and brakes, I'd say tip him. If it's a master mechanic or shop foreman, I don't think it's apropriate.

MEJIA
03-17-05, 02:10 PM

Yes I agree, I always tip mechanics cause I know them for a long time and they always do their best on my trucks...

Mejia

slk230mb
03-17-05, 03:52 PM
I tip my service advisor and the mechanic that works on my truck. Since I started to tip the mechanic the same one always works on my truck, funny how that works...lol

Kev
03-17-05, 03:54 PM
Well, there you go, if it improves the service you get then it is worth it.

slk230mb
03-17-05, 03:55 PM
Small price to pay in my book.

Adumb
03-17-05, 04:05 PM
if i went to sears or a big chain i dont think i would tip, but if it were a local place, and the people were cool, or something, and if they didnt gouge me already id probably tip

tru504187211
03-17-05, 09:40 PM
Sorry, but I barely tip after I eat...except if they were just an outstanding waiter/ waitress.

Roswell256
03-18-05, 12:18 PM
I used to tip pretty good before. I've stayed 30 days in a hotel in Thailand, and always left a couple hundred baht on my pillow for the cleaning crew. The level of service you get after doing that a couple of days is the BEST.

Now I deliver pizza's and know that getting stiffed sucks. Especially if the guy can OBVIOUSLY afford it. So now I tip eveyone and in return they get to know you and give you better service.

-Robert-

P.s. I have a friend I know has tipped up to $30 for a $15-$20 bill. But he gets approached by the hot waitress at a club and asked to dance, because they recognize him. Ol' boy dumps MAD tips into places. But gets LOTS of phone numbers for it.

HotRodSaint
03-18-05, 12:35 PM
Now I deliver pizza's and know that getting stiffed sucks.

My pizza gets here fast and hot. :burn:

I'd tip the first mechanic I felt who wasn't an incompentant snake.

I'm still looking for one who loves what they do. But I infrequently need them, so how do you pick the right one when the time comes?

Jesda
03-18-05, 01:28 PM
I tip my service advisor and the mechanic that works on my truck. Since I started to tip the mechanic the same one always works on my truck, funny how that works...lol

Thats weird. What do you do, walk up to him and hand him 20 bucks?

slk230mb
03-18-05, 11:43 PM
Thats weird. What do you do, walk up to him and hand him 20 bucks?

At my dealership it's all open and when the work is done the mechanic comes over to the service advisor to tell him what he did and the like. I walk over with a 20 folded in the palm of my hand and give him a hand shake and ask him what he found out. Sometimes I'll walk in the garage area and greet him with a handshake there. Not hard at all...

BANK
03-19-05, 12:50 AM
As a former wrench I think the best situation is to develop a relationship with your mechanic and the service writer. Some shops may restrict customer/mecahnic contact. When I worked in the trade I made a reasonable living, a tip was more of a gesture of thanks given by customers that I knew and who knew me.

The trade has changed and I think finding a good mechanic is difficult. A few years ago a trade magazine indicated that the best mecahnics are now in their 40s, if they were still in the trade at all. A lot of the good mechanic went back to school to be lawyers, doctors or dentists in the early 90s. This was because the industry went through a period of flat wages and poor training, that attracted the wrong crowd(remember we got the "Techs: that only knew one or two jobs.) The talented guys had options and moved on. I believe it's changed over the past few years as wages have increase and a good mechanic in a good shop can make a resonable living.

While I don't think tipping necessarily helps get better quality workmanship, it may position your car in front of a good mechanic.