: What Car Buying Criteria is Most Important to You?

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 10:02 PM
Just as there are many makes and models available today, there are equally as many criteria people use to purchase their cars.

So what was most important to you, when you bought your car?

Ralph
03-16-05, 10:06 PM
You are bored, you're not in the CI! :D

1. comfort
2. safety
3. options
4. style
5. performance
6. Price

What are yours Jeff?

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 10:40 PM
Styling is first and foremost on my list, no matter what the other criteria might be.

Performance is second and I see that I forgot safety. That's also important.

For this car, passenger seating and towing capacity played an important role.

Aftermarket support is also important.

With my last car, a '97 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, it was modified using the Japanese aftermarket since nothing was available for it then.

While I liked the utilitarian aspect of the wagon, the rear seat wasn't very comfy for driving clients around in.

Maybe that's me getting old, or getting less selfish.

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 10:42 PM
You are bored, you're not in the CI! :D

I'm tired of every schmoe recently using my participation in the CI forum as a bad thing.

If I'm going to be accused now of doing something wrong, then I'll do it here in the open for everyone to see instead.

slk230mb
03-16-05, 10:49 PM
Styling, Engine Performance, and that seductive creast and wreath.

Ralph
03-16-05, 10:53 PM
Styling is first and foremost on my list, no matter what the other criteria might be.

Performance is second and I see that I forgot safety. That's also important.

For this car, passenger seating and towing capacity played an important role.

Aftermarket support is also important.

With my last car, a '97 Subaru Legacy GT wagon, it was modified using the Japanese aftermarket since nothing was available for it then.

While I liked the utilitarian aspect of the wagon, the rear seat wasn't very comfy for driving clients around in.

Maybe that's me getting old, or getting less selfish.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a minivan!! Totally un-cool! Get an SUV instead.

illumina
03-16-05, 11:05 PM
I chose engine performance. I would also say the things associated with performance, such as braking, are also very important to me.

Also, if you're going to spend the money on something, ENJOY IT! There's nothing I can't stand more as when someone tells me that "A car is not meant to be enjoyed because they're the most depreciating investment you could make..."

No. Really jackass? (< Nobody here...Geezus)

Enjoy what you're paying for mister and/or misses marketing philosophy major and quit bitching!

Oh there I go ranting again :(

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 11:19 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T buy a minivan!! Totally un-cool! Get an SUV instead.

Funny you should say that...

I was driving my stepfathers mini-van moving a couch and commented to my bro how comfortable it was and how well it handled.

But I'd never buy an SUV or Mini-van. That's too soccer mom for me.

Now a '70's style van conversion would be my style. :D

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 11:22 PM
Also, if you're going to spend the money on something, ENJOY IT! There's nothing I can't stand more as when someone tells me that "A car is not meant to be enjoyed because they're the most depreciating investment you could make..."

I agree with both of those statements.

That's why I've finally adopted the used car only strategy.

I'll let someone else take the first hit, before I take over their fun to drive vehicle so they can buy another new one!

kmhebert
03-16-05, 11:48 PM
I agree with both of those statements.

That's why I've finally adopted the used car only strategy.

I'll let someone else take the first hit, before I take over their fun to drive vehicle so they can buy another new one!

Yeah, I might buy a new car once I'm independently wealthy (it can happen right? :) ) but used cars are such a better value. I chose luxury, styling, and passenger room as my criteria. Maybe I'm weird but I really don't know why everyone doesn't get themselves a Cadillac, it's so much better and you can get one cheap! As long as you don't mind a few years on it.