: Nothing wrong with Tranny but!!!

MrSmith
03-16-05, 10:38 PM
It has 159,000 on it and I doubt its ever been changed. {the fluid}.

I searched the forum and came up with the same thing they say about my Acura. No Flushy. There for we Drain and fill our tranny 3 or 4 times in order to get most the old fluid out. We have drain bolts on the Legends. Now Im Driving my DeVille out of town in a few weeks and Im thinking about drain and fill. Of course theres no drain bolt, so this could get messy. Is this a good Idea to yall. to drain and fill, drive a week or two and do it two more times every other week.

Or is there a way to get all the fluid out at one time? Someone said I could drain the pan, then start the car and change gears to force the rest out.<---what cha think???

90Brougham350
03-16-05, 10:49 PM
Some people take the pan off, drill a hole in it, and put a drain plug in it. That way draining it is possible in the future, but I don't know about the putting it in gear thing, I mean, don't transmitions run off fluid pressure? I don't wanna see you hurt your tranny dude.

Brian

MrSmith
03-16-05, 10:52 PM
don't transmitions run off fluid pressure? I don't wanna see you hurt your tranny dude.

Brian

Me either. I aint doing it. I dont think I wanna drill either. Ill be concerned about the filter {FWD/4.9} 1991

BroughamOnChrome
03-16-05, 10:58 PM
Dont start the car if you take off the pan that would not be a good idea.

The only way to get out the fluid with out taking off the pan would be to stick a long hose down the dipstick tube and pump it out. Assuming your not gonna do that. If you are going to sevice the trans you should replace the filter in the pan. Therfore you would have to take it off. The new filter kit should come with the gasket. Yes it can be messy you should take off one side of the pan bolts to let it drain then take the rest off and let it drain slowly. Then you will replace maybe like 4-5 qts this would be the best idea I would think, because if you replace it all at once it may make the tranny slip being that there are so many miles on it and it hasnt been done regularly. If it was a ford in the same circumstance I would say not to do it at all. When you add the fluid make sure you start it and put it in each gear as your parked to get an accurate reading also make sure the car is on level pavement too it is better to have too less then too much.