: seville or deville?

cadydaddy
03-16-05, 04:02 PM
Hey all,
new here and deciding between these two models.
i frankly like both. i think they both look good.
i would want the sts seville or the dts deville. as im looking for luxury and alittle sport thrown in.
2000 and up for the years.
looking to spend up to around 23k.

can anyone with experiance with both tell me alittle of the goods and bads of each of these cars.
thanks,Mark

airbalancer
03-16-05, 06:17 PM
I like the STS,
I like the lines of a STS
I would never get a DTS.

Blackout
03-16-05, 06:37 PM
DTS = Middle of the road car if not bottom of the road in the Cadillac fleet
STS = top of the line car

So it depends on what you want. The best or more economical in terms of pricing

cadydaddy
03-16-05, 07:30 PM
so the dts is under the sts in everyway?
from the outside the dts looks like it has the deffinate edge in size and room.
would it be a draw in gas economy?
what about quiteness and smoothness over the road,which is better?
id guess the sts edges the dts in accelaration,is this correct?
i know the sts is the 300hp n.s. but is the dts also 300hp?
thanks agian.

edit: btw, im talking about the 2000-2002 sts seville not the brand new sts. thanks

an01sts
03-16-05, 08:39 PM
When I was a Cadillac technician , it was instant infactuation with the STS when it first came out. I made numerous test drives, alternating between hundereds of the cars sevile/deville, so I had a good idea of the different charertitics of the cars. You cannot compare the cars against each other because they target different audiences, and Cadillac did a pretty good job at desigining for different audiences.

In 01, in the process of trading in my 99, I had been out of a Deville--DTS, whatever--for almost a decade. A dealer almost insisted I drive the DTS because the salesman claimed that the car had undergone many changes from the Deville. I hopped in and drove it about .3 mile, and brought it back. Everyone panicked when I returned in about 180 seconds, wanting to know what was wrong? I said, "I don't like it," as they started looking the car over carefully, even laying on the ground looking under the car. The bastards though I wrecked it and couldn't understand the simple fact that I'm not going to test drive something I have no intention of buying.

You mention a little sports thrown in. If you want a lot of sports and a lot of luxury, the STS. If you drive one for a bit, you'll discover that these cars haul ass, off the line until you reach whatever speed that makes your gonads hide under your tonsils.

Ranger
03-16-05, 09:14 PM
so the dts is under the sts in everyway?
from the outside the dts looks like it has the deffinate edge in size and room.
would it be a draw in gas economy?
what about quiteness and smoothness over the road,which is better?
id guess the sts edges the dts in accelaration,is this correct?
i know the sts is the 300hp n.s. but is the dts also 300hp?
thanks agian.

edit: btw, im talking about the 2000-2002 sts seville not the brand new sts. thanks
The DTS definately has the edge in size and room. I suspect they are probably even when it comes to quietness. If you want a smooth soft ride consider the DHS or if the Seville appeals more to you consider the SLS. Both have the 275 HP engine (more low end torque and higher final drive = slightly better gas milage). Just my opinion but I think the SLS would fit the " luxury and a little sport thrown in" discription.

turbojimmy
03-16-05, 09:24 PM
DTS = Middle of the road car if not bottom of the road in the Cadillac fleet
STS = top of the line car

So it depends on what you want. The best or more economical in terms of pricing

How do you figure the DTS is the 'bottom of the road'? Blue book for the STS and the DTS are pretty much the same for 2000-2004. Both the STS and the DTS are 'top of the line' cars. You'd pay roughly the same for either regardless of model year (except for '04 where there is no STS).

There's only a 20 lb. difference in curb weight and the same engine is in both cars with the same output. From a straight-line performance perspective they're virtually identical. The DTS has a longer wheelbase, more interior space and a bigger trunk. It really comes down to asthetics preference and intended use. The cars are aimed at totally different markets.

My 'rents have an '02 Deville and there's a night-n-day difference between that car and my DTS.

Jim

Dadillac
03-16-05, 09:51 PM
I am speaking from limited experience, but I own a 2002 Seville SLS, and have driven a 2002 Deville base. The Deville and Seville are two very comfortable cars to drive. My Seville has more ammenities than the Deville had. The Deville has the "land yacht" ride to it. It floats over anything smaller than a Ford. The Seville has a firmer, more sporty suspension, and I am talking about the SLS. I understand that the STS is even firmer. I could be wrong, but I believe the Deville DTS, is similar in ride, to the SLS. (If I am wrong on this part, I am sorry. Just going on what I have heard, as I have never driven a DTS). So, equipped alike, your choice really comes down to the ride you want. Do you want "land yacht" float, or firm, but plush, ride?

Don

turbojimmy
03-17-05, 05:30 AM
I am speaking from limited experience, but I own a 2002 Seville SLS, and have driven a 2002 Deville base. The Deville and Seville are two very comfortable cars to drive. My Seville has more ammenities than the Deville had. The Deville has the "land yacht" ride to it. It floats over anything smaller than a Ford. The Seville has a firmer, more sporty suspension, and I am talking about the SLS. I understand that the STS is even firmer. I could be wrong, but I believe the Deville DTS, is similar in ride, to the SLS. (If I am wrong on this part, I am sorry. Just going on what I have heard, as I have never driven a DTS). So, equipped alike, your choice really comes down to the ride you want. Do you want "land yacht" float, or firm, but plush, ride?

Don

I'm going to further muddy the water with my inexperience, too!

I've never driven a Seville in any trim level. But I have driven my parents base Deville and obviously my DTS. As I said before, there is a night-and-day difference between the two cars. The Deville is very land-yacht like in ride and handling. It's also as basic a Deville you can get so compared to the DTS it's pretty Spartan as far as options go, but it's still a nice car. You can't really compare a Deville to a DTS. In all honesty until I bought the DTS I thought they were essentially the same myself - after all they look the same except for the fog lights. But when you have an opportunity to put the two side by side, and drive both you can tell the difference.

The DTS suspension is firm and responsive. Actually, I've read that some DTS buyers have complained about the ride after switching from a regular Deville. I'm sure the 17" rims contribute to the firmer feeling, too. I've only put about 400 miles on the car so far, but I'm amazed by how 'small' the car feels in terms of braking and handling. The active stability control (standard on the DTS and I would presume the STS) is really cool. If you drive like me you get to see it work frequently.

I have to say that the comment on low-end torque is accurate. It may be the power of suggestion (since I know the DTS makes more HP as a result of having a flatter torque curve rather than making more torque), but it does feel a bit slower off the line than the Deville. Once it winds out, however, you get a kick in the pants. I hate to use the comparison but it's like when the variable valve timing in my 'Yota kicks in.

In any case, the question was posted in the Seville area so you'd have to expect to get pro-Seville answers (not that there's anything wrong with defending your choice in cars).

The easy answer is to get out there and drive both. I really love my DTS, but on the other hand I came by it quite by accident. I wasn't 'shopping' for one so I don't have any comparison experience.

Jim

cadydaddy
03-17-05, 01:43 PM
one think i really like about the dts is those rear tail lights. it seems like a small thing,but they seem way brighter and faster to blink.
are they led?
the only tail lights i like better are mark viii 97-98 but i would not get that thing.

how much would hid headlamps cost to outfit the sts or dts?
thanks for the help guys

turbojimmy
03-17-05, 01:58 PM
one think i really like about the dts is those rear tail lights. it seems like a small thing,but they seem way brighter and faster to blink.
are they led?
the only tail lights i like better are mark viii 97-98 but i would not get that thing.

how much would hid headlamps cost to outfit the sts or dts?
thanks for the help guys

The Deville tail lights (and HMSL) are LEDs. Not sure about the cost of an HID conversion.

Jim

cadydaddy
03-17-05, 02:42 PM
sorry for the ignorance,but what does hmsl stand for?

turbojimmy
03-17-05, 03:05 PM
sorry for the ignorance,but what does hmsl stand for?

Sorry - it's High Mounted Stop Lamp.

Jim

Blackout
03-17-05, 04:35 PM
How do you figure the DTS is the 'bottom of the road'? Blue book for the STS and the DTS are pretty much the same for 2000-2004. Both the STS and the DTS are 'top of the line' cars. You'd pay roughly the same for either regardless of model year (except for '04 where there is no STS)The DTS is the top of the line car from their entry level sedan. So it would be like comparing the top of the line Sentra to a top of the line Maxima

turbojimmy
03-17-05, 07:55 PM
The DTS is the top of the line car from their entry level sedan. So it would be like comparing the top of the line Sentra to a top of the line Maxima

The Seville is the Sentra, right?

The comparison is ridiculous. There's a $10,000 difference between the Sentra and the Maxima.

I'm not sure how you define 'entry level', but if it's the price of a new one then the CTS is the entry level sedan. Then the Seville, followed by the Deville. The Deville is the most expensive sedan Cadillac offers - a new DTS stickers at more than a CTS-V (not sure who in their right mind would buy a DTS over a CTS-V, but hey I'm not the target Deville demographic).

The pricing difference between a used Seville and Deville at all trim levels is negligible, though the Seville does have a bit of an edge on resale value. Devilles take a particularly hard hit on resale value.

Jim

ben72227
03-17-05, 09:55 PM
Then the Seville, followed by the Deville. The Deville is the most expensive sedan Cadillac offers

No no no! :tisk:The Deville is the middle of the road Cadillac, inbetween the CTS and the STS. The Deville has always been below the Seville, which was designed to be the "European" style Cadillac. The Deville on the other hand, has ALWAYS been the old folks Cadillac, its the AMERICAN luxury car.:thumbsup:

cadydaddy, I would recommend the STS since you said you want luxury and sporty. HOWEVER, I tend to think that the '98 to '04 models looked too much like a toyota camry:suspense: for my likes. Look into a '96 model if you want something thats REALLY sporty. They also seem to have the best reliability of all the years as well...

turbojimmy
03-18-05, 07:06 AM
No no no! :tisk:The Deville is the middle of the road Cadillac, inbetween the CTS and the STS. The Deville has always been below the Seville, which was designed to be the "European" style Cadillac. The Deville on the other hand, has ALWAYS been the old folks Cadillac, its the AMERICAN luxury car.:thumbsup:

Alright, I'll give you that since I don't know anything about Caddy history. I based the positioning on price, which is typically how manufacturers define their 'levels'.

Frankly I don't really care where the DTS sits in the pecking order, like I said the DTS was really an accident. The Sentra thing bugged me though. I hate to see people misled (whether it's by me or anyone else). When I got my car, there were 2 Sevilles in the mix (the lot of flood cars) but I wanted the bigger car so I picked a DTS. Plus, to the untrained eye (mine), the Seville looks dated (versus 'frumpy' of the DTS - I picked frumpy over dated). I can't tell the difference between a mid-90s model and a new one.

Jim

cadydaddy
03-18-05, 02:50 PM
after looking at tons of pictures and reading things i kind of like the dts. but minds still not made up.
plus,i just seen the movie be cool and chili palmer(john travolta) has a deville in the movie,in the beginning intell it gets shot up lol.
but i did not check if it was a dts....funny really the rental car brings him a honda insight...and he says....i asked for a cadillac,what is this thing.
the guy says...."this is the cadillac of gas mileage" lol

ben72227
03-18-05, 05:23 PM
I think the post 2000 Devilles look quite sexy and not so much of old geezer car. Maybe it was the redesigned headlights that i liked? Not quite sure, but they do look nice.

Jesda
03-19-05, 01:00 AM
I'm also a fan of the DTS. My only wishes would be for the wheels to be further out to the corners and a spruced up interior (which will be in the new model).

Night Wolf
03-19-05, 01:08 AM
The DeVille has been around since 1948 (or '49?)

The Seville has been around since 1975

Both are different cars... once 1985 hit, the DeVille and Seville had alot in common, but before that.. very different.

I don't think the Seville is *above* the DeVille... and the DeVille isn't the lowest model either.. it used to be the Calais, then the Cimmarion, then the Catera and now the CTS (the "C" family :) ) and when talking luxury, I would consider the DeVille higher then the Seville.....

I HATE on newer cars how the tires are pushed to the corners.. epseically on a full size luxury car... why in the world would anyone want the tires pushed more to the corners? man I hate that... looks ugly and isn't what an American luxury car is about...