: Installing a Low Pressure Switch on an older Caddy that didn't have one.

lacville78
08-09-13, 02:12 AM
After thinking I had a bad low pressure switch on my Caddy, I found I don't have one at all! I don't like the thought of not having one, one small leak could equal fried compressor.
I noticed I have two fittings on my Accumulator, could I stick a low pressure switch on that then wire it up to interrupt the compressor clutch? Has anyone done this before? Any tips?
If I am entering uncharted waters, I will be sure to map my voyage to those who dare to follow :D
Thanks,
Tom.

deVille33
08-09-13, 12:05 PM
I will have to check my info, but I believe there is a low pressure switch in that system. I believe it is connected to compressor (at the back plate?). :hmm: Been long since I messed with the AC side of the car.

turbojimmy
08-09-13, 04:02 PM
There has to be one somewhere to allow the compressor to cycle. I think deVille33 is right - it's mounted on the compressor.

lacville78
08-09-13, 08:09 PM
Nope, this is an early one. It uses a Thermostatic Switch. No low pressure switch at back of compressor or on line.

turbojimmy
08-09-13, 10:56 PM
Interesting. I've owned a couple of cars that old with A/C but never looked too hard at how they worked. Good luck in your adventure.