: 2006 DTS Rad Flush

teckguy
08-08-13, 11:03 PM
Busy evening....after changing the Serpentine Belt I also decided to perform a static rad flush. I removed the lower pan and the air box but how the heck does one get there fingers to the lower rad hose at the outlet connection on the rad??? In frustration I removed the upper hose and the lower hose at the engine instead and then used the exhaust port on my shop vac to purge the rad. I hate to think about the day I need to change the lower rad house out....what is the trick down there?

billdaman
08-09-13, 09:37 AM
you cant use your fingers (been there done that) You will need to acquire 15 -17" pipe clamp pliers to get around the hose clamp, then fuss with the hose to remove it. Replace the lower hose and install a high quality worm gear hose clamp oriented in a manner that lets you access it from the engine bay to secure it. I had the dealer do it for me , but I now have the tools to do it

teckguy
08-09-13, 06:00 PM
Great tip thanks!

billbill1
08-10-13, 07:02 AM
I must disagree on type of hose clamp on your DTS. I've used both spring and screw clamps over the years.
My choice is the spring clamp, it self adjusts to the changes of an aging hose system.
There IS a reason Manufacturers use spring clamps, they work,for meany years.
I don't want to get into my missteps,but screw type clamps, will leek as hose ages.
Being as the hoses won't get better placement, in newer cars, YOU need to get the proper TOOL
to do your maintenance.
I suggest,Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers, from Amazon.com.It's NOT cheep, $40.
If your going to buy one, don't go cheep. There are several types,on the market.
You can remove a clamp, without seeing it, this can be a real advantage.

MoistCabbage
08-10-13, 12:16 PM
Manufacturers use spring clamps because they're cheap, and quicker to install, not because they "self adjust".

billbill1
08-11-13, 08:40 AM
Sorry " MOISTCabbage", just speaking from experience. With screw clamps, installation is the
BIG thing, I've had far more leaks with them, than spring clamps. I've NEVER seen a screw clamp
tighten, on it's own, after installation. I still say, "get the proper tool, and you'll love the spring clamps".
Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers, from Amazon.com.

MoistCabbage
08-11-13, 03:02 PM
I'm not talking about what leaks or doesn't, I was clarifying why manufacturers use spring clamps.

billbill1
08-12-13, 06:54 AM
Sorry !
Can you explain that ? Do we have a count on how meany Manufacturers, use Screw Clamps ?
AND if it LEAKS, it's " important".