: 1973 Deville Coupe, cannot open trunk with key

CADYRAT
08-08-13, 10:42 PM
Anyone know if this model has an access, or actual release lever/button for the trunk? Sounds stupid, but my key access just broke today. Turns loosely and doesn't feel like it's engaging anything.

If no lever/button, is there any way, or does anyone know any tricks on going forward with this?

Thanks for you time!

cadillac_al
08-09-13, 08:14 AM
No power trunk button? If you have to bust it out, try to be careful. I would probably try drilling it out but I have never had to do it.

outsider
08-09-13, 08:32 AM
I bet you could take the back seat out and crawl into the trunk. There you may be able to release the locking mech manually?

CADYRAT
08-09-13, 02:44 PM
I may have to try that.
Where would the trunk mechanism be?
Very unfamiliar with this car.

carnut
08-09-13, 03:36 PM
Cadillacs have a button, usually yellow, in the glovebox. Ignition must be on to power it. Did you try pressing down hard on the trunk lid as you turn the key? all else fails get a small child!! to climb into the trunk with a flat blade screw driver to turn the latch.

CADYRAT
08-09-13, 04:03 PM
Just got this vehicle not long ago.
Will look for the button when I get home.
Yes I tried pushing and pulling on the trunk. No difference. It feels like something is detached when turning the key. There is no drag/feel at all.

outsider
08-09-13, 04:35 PM
pull the back seat off (should be easy) and you shoudl be able to climb in there with a flashlight and a flat screw driver and look where the lock mech is on the inside. (center of the trunk lid, right where the lid meets the body) and you should be able to release the latch using the screwdriver.

carnut
08-09-13, 05:16 PM
Are we about to see a thread about "how do I remove the seat"?

CADYRAT
08-10-13, 12:01 AM
Well no release button or lever.
Took seat out. No entrance, at least not for anyone of human size that can operate a flathead.
I left the rear side markers out. Tried getting through the marker holes. Cannot reach.
Luckily for me!
Rust hole in trunk floor! Mother Nature has helped on this one!
Thanks everyone!

cadillac kevin
08-10-13, 12:16 AM
Well no release button or lever.
Took seat out. No entrance, at least not for anyone of human size that can operate a flathead.
I left the rear side markers out. Tried getting through the marker holes. Cannot reach.
Luckily for me!
Rust hole in trunk floor! Mother Nature has helped on this one!
Thanks everyone!

Next time, borrow a neighbors 5 year old. Much easier. :)

talismandave
08-10-13, 12:47 AM
Hi neighbor, can I put your five year old in my trunk?:suspect:

I don't know, but I get the feeling that this could end badly?!:cop:

deVille33
08-10-13, 11:13 AM
I had a post here that explains how I solve this problem. Can't find it now. I use a long rod ( 3 ft. ) with a flat on one end. With the back seat removed, place the flat into the rectangular slot in the trunk lock. Turn counter clock wise and the latch will release. The last time I tried this, I got a surprise. The original latch had been replaced and there was no slot to set into. So, I used another rod and ground a 1/4 inch square on it and fit it with a 1/4 inch socket to fit the latch mounting bolts. Then, I turned out the bolts and, voila, trunk open. :cool2: