Ok I ordered a new defroster grille from GMPartsDirect and it's sitting in my garage. Now what? Not much luck using search forum or the trusty Google. My original had cracked in three different places over the years. Anyone ever done a replace?
Are you talking inside the car or outide?
Inside below the windshield. The very front piece.
One last question. Driver or passenger?
It's the entire center piece. Part# 25772896 - GRILLE[COLOR="Silver"]
It's the entire piece next to #1. Has clips on the bottom.
08-09-13, 02:22 PM
You better take that to the shop. That's going to be a job.
08-09-13, 10:58 PM
Not that hard did my long time ago I think I pop out the speaker vent can't remember if there were screw are not but not hard at all, but I do body n paint for living.
I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic. She goes in for a new bumper Monday. I will ask the shop for an estimate since I already have the part.
I asked the service dept. assoc. about it last week at the dealership. She said they were a PITA.
08-12-13, 12:33 AM
Remove the A pillar trim on both sides by taking off the airbag logo revealing a 7mm screw. Then the defroster panel pops out with the clips. It is a tight fit, and you think you're going to break something, but there's no additional screws just lots of clips. Had mine off a few times looking for dash rattles.
Just like you said PNB; popped A pillar trims off, some clips broke on the way out, but snapped right in! 30 min job for even a noob like myself. Thanks again! No more cracked dash!
08-13-13, 09:02 AM
Cool, glad it worked out!
Understand this - 1. There 8 clips in front (towards you) and then some tabs that slide in under the windshield.
2. The side pillars come off after removing the little cover (clipped in) and the 7mm screw. At the bottom of the pillar are two tabs that slide into pockets of this panel we are removing.
3. Its is plastic. Mine shattered into several dozen pieces trying to remove it. In my case, the Texas sun has backed it for 9 years and it is brittle. The rest of the dash is OK.
4. One clip each is under the right and left speaker grill. Be careful.
5. I ordered a new grill - 85 dollars with the outrageous shipping.
6. Easy to reinstall, but use caution. The front tabs on mine has a cushion of tape to prevent rattles.
Question, when removing a pillar covers, did you disconnect the battery? If so, only negative or both?