: bye bye sts-v

boomys10
08-08-13, 09:17 PM
just did a compression test on the car. all cyclinders are low. according to specs they shouldn't be running lower than 140psi, the highest I have is 120. two cyclinders are at 90. I know its the rings, we dropped small amount of oil in each cyclinder and they jumped to almost 200psi. the car is most likely going to be traded based on this information gathered today, however, does anyone know what kind of work is involved in replacing the rings on the pistons? any input would be appreciated, thanks yall!

ChurchSTSV
08-08-13, 09:59 PM
Ouch

TimmyC
08-08-13, 10:11 PM
Drop motor out bottom, remove heads and oil pan, swap rings, hone cylinders, reinstall. It's not that bad really.

1madstsv
08-08-13, 10:28 PM
Lsx swap time. Make big power then.

boomys10
08-08-13, 11:11 PM
I cant do the work tim and have alrdy spent the premium once to have it removed and have the seals replaced, WHICH will have to be done again if I decide to fix it.

----------

if the swap was that easy ryan, itd be done. looks like ill be dropping another LARGE amount on the car IF I decide to keep it. has anyone figured out the ls swap yet?

TimmyC
08-08-13, 11:17 PM
You won't have to replace any seals that were already done but labor is expensive.

No one has done an lsx swap that I know of. I know I could do it but that would be expensive too. I think it could be done with the stock wiring harness and computer repinned for the ls motor.

carter's_sts
08-09-13, 09:42 AM
That Sucks. What do you think caused it? I thought our engines were bullet proof.

PGA2B
08-09-13, 11:26 AM
Yeah but he drives his car like he stole it!:D

1madstsv
08-09-13, 11:49 AM
Just off it and buy my car its going online after this Saturday. Not cheep but has lots of life left in it. On 11,200 on it.

boomys10
08-09-13, 07:16 PM
what are you selling yours for ryan? im thinking about ls-f lexus.

youknooow
08-11-13, 09:41 PM
What symptoms prompted the compression test?

boomys10
08-12-13, 09:25 PM
inconsistency, I would race one car one day then the next with completely different results. I knew something was up but the car wasn't doing anything that screamed anything out. so, called a friend he brought his test kit over and I have my answer. I slightly wonder if mine is the only one, I think im the only one that has done a compression test on it. lol

Dave G
08-12-13, 10:19 PM
what are you selling yours for ryan? im thinking about ls-f lexus.

You'll like it. Such a fun car. I drove two before settling on the V. It was my 2nd choice.

boomys10
08-14-13, 01:10 PM
I drove the isf today, great feel very tight car. only problem is finding one now. lol. I loved the caddy, as witnessed by the amount of time I have put into it. just time for something more reliable for me. I drive a lot and typically harder. i think the lexus will hold up better to me than the caddy did.

todrules
08-15-13, 12:23 AM
You can't go wrong with an IS-F. My best friend had one and sold it now that he has a family. I was amazed at the resale value of those things. He sold it about a year ago and still got 40k for it with 50k miles. This guy has always been lucky finding suckers though. Good luck in your search.

Fierofiend
08-15-13, 10:14 AM
I can lie, I just started taking mine to jiffy lube and having a friend do it. Only costs me 35

Related?

boomys10
08-15-13, 11:19 AM
not at all. oil wont affect the top rings. I still use good oil, just their filter and their labor.

Fierofiend
08-15-13, 12:01 PM
Are you going to demod?

boomys10
08-16-13, 10:31 AM
I have all the stock stuff, but then have to retune and all that. to much hassle. id rather just sell the car piss cheap and get the new one honestly. I would take 13-14k for it and not bat an eye. if I had the time to pull the engine myself I would and keep it. but don't have the time or resources. even if you spend 3k rebuilding the rings, your still getting a great deal on a car with ALOT of new stuff. lol

rbzstsv
08-16-13, 01:38 PM
Miles?

boomys10
08-16-13, 03:15 PM
currently, 96k. I do still drive it though. brand new tires, brand new brake pads all around, brand new rotors up front (drilled slotted) have the timmyc 2.4 pulley and belt brand new never installed. fresh alignment. (has 1000 miles on it.) brand new front lower control arms, brand new sway bar links not installed yet. upgrades are timmyc heat xchanger, intatke and 2.55 pulley. amazing tune by DSX tuning, car runs amazing and pisses a lot of ppl off. not to mention, the engine was torn down last year and ALL seals were replaced, new water pump, and several other things.

boomys10
08-19-13, 09:50 AM
1badcat, clear your messages. I cant send you a PM..

boomys10
08-28-13, 10:37 PM
just because im stupid, thinking about rebuilding the caddy, AGAIN. opinions?

carter's_sts
08-28-13, 11:15 PM
I say do it and you're not stupid.

1madstsv
08-28-13, 11:24 PM
Go buy a BMW can't go wrong.

TimmyC
08-28-13, 11:53 PM
Go buy a BMW can't go wrong.

How do you figure that? Plenty of expensive parts to go bad on a bimmer!

bigburban
08-29-13, 12:16 AM

Me thinks perhaps he was being a bit flippant. Ps if you love the car and there is nothing else wrong IMHO think it is not stupid to correct the problem.

Guy.Seminerio
08-29-13, 12:24 AM
+1 to fix it!!

----------

The name of this thread upsets me.

1madstsv
08-29-13, 06:44 AM

I was just giving him a hard time. But my v12 BMW was not any more expensive than the Stsv when it came to buying parts. It was BMW shop rates that killed me. $115 hr. caddy dealer is $98. There owned by the same man.

parkeraire
08-29-13, 07:05 AM
+2 for fix it!:)

boomys10
08-29-13, 09:49 AM
so it seems the ppl want it fixed. lol. next question, while its being fixed and torn apart, explore the forge options? I have found pistons, that was easy, connecting rods is a damned nightmare. you think its even worth it?

rbzstsv
08-29-13, 11:11 AM
What are your goals for the car?

boomys10
08-29-13, 12:55 PM
prolly around 500wheel horsies. nothing to big at all honestly. just enough to piss ppl off. I promise this, while the heads are off I will be exploring porting/polishing and bigger valves being put in. that's a promise. also, will get the blower rebuilt and ported/polished, and might throw the smaller pulley I have at the house on and get a new intake made that isn't 4inches so it fits a lot more easily

TimmyC
08-29-13, 01:06 PM
prolly around 500wheel horsies. nothing to big at all honestly. just enough to piss ppl off. I promise this, while the heads are off I will be exploring porting/polishing and bigger valves being put in. that's a promise. also, will get the blower rebuilt and ported/polished, and might throw the smaller pulley I have at the house on and get a new intake made that isn't 4inches so it fits a lot more easily

If you have the heads ported, make sure they flow test them before and after. I'd also like to see a dyno test with no other mods so we can see how much difference that makes by itself.

boomys10
08-29-13, 01:34 PM
well that wont be possible, alrdy have the tune, pulley and intake and those wont be coming off. lol. however, I have the dyno sheet with those mods so that can be fairly easily figured out. plus or minus a few hp.

----------

keep in mind, this is my daily and only car. I will be renting IF I rebuild it this time for a few weeks. dotn want to extend the renting for much longer, starts getting way to expensive and takes money away from building car.

TimmyC
08-29-13, 02:08 PM
Just the dyno before and after the ported heads will be enough. Doesn't have to be stock.

boomys10
08-29-13, 02:20 PM
that's good, I wont be. lol :) however, I will most likely be adding the headers, and smaller pulley all at the same time. the car will be COMPLETELY torn apart, including interior. want to put new factory foam and seat covers on it for the rear seat and drivers seat. rear cover is just tiny wrinkled and driver seat, well im fat. oh, and fix the damned lumbar that decided to not work as good last night. the car will be essentially brand new when im done doing this if I do, and will be about 20k worth of stuff if I can add right, including labor.

1madstsv
08-29-13, 04:06 PM
Man you might be better off just selling and getting another Stsv if you still like the car. That's a lot of things to get done in a very short time. And you will never get the $$$$ back out of it. It's still just going to be a 15-17k car. I would need to think long a hard on that plus with I being a dd that's even worse.

boomys10
08-29-13, 04:17 PM
i know ryan, hence why im thinking about it. if I did this it would just be a project to accomplish. I cant throw 50k into a car I want right now and don't want a car for 25 so trying to get it worked out.