: Boggy Accel

FryBread98
03-16-05, 04:43 AM
(98 STS)

When I kick my car down from a stand still it does nothing. It boggs down and then finally kicks down and takes off. Now when my SES light is on because of my MAFS (P0101) it takes off like a bat out of hell, chirping the tires and taking off the like the performance machine that she is.

What is my problem Im currently waiting for my new MAFS to try and fix this problem. Well I hope it is just the MAFS...........

caddydaddy
03-16-05, 08:26 AM
That would do it! Also could be the MAP sensor, but that wasn't throwing a code when it was bad on my STS.

mcowden
03-16-05, 02:36 PM
The MAFS could certainly do that. It works better when the SES light is on because the PCM at that point recognizes that the MAF data is invalid and it uses some pre-programmed default values that work better than what's coming from the defective MAF but aren't quite optimal. So it's working when it uses the table values but not when it uses the data coming from the MAFS. Replace it and all should be well again.

Let us know how it works out when the MAF is replaced. You might be able to just unplug it and avoid the hesitation until the PCM does its test.

FryBread98
03-17-05, 01:46 AM
Good, I hope it does work. Ill just have to sit back and for it to come in. Another question on MAF's what do they range in price from stock to performance. I have read alot about these granetilli or whatever they are called. I do want up my performance a little bit. My car has 134k on it and I want to give it a little more power. I have been thinking about doing to modified air box as described on CaddyInfo.com.

Any ideas or tips would be good. 134k and she still runs great, she burns the about a quart of oil approx. every 3k miles. Which i have read is normal. I remeber my first oil change when i got my car the guy that did it was all freaked out because he put 5qts in and it was not reading on the stick :D . I told him that it takes about 7 to 7.5 qts to top it off.

zonie77
03-17-05, 09:04 AM
Because the MAF only flows air it doesn't hurt bottom end power to go somewhat bigger (unlike a carb). The power difference won't be huge though. May not justify too big of a cost difference but worth it if close in cost.

mcowden
03-17-05, 11:10 AM
www.rockauto.com has the AC-Delco MAF for $195 and you'll get $66 back when you return the bad one. I wouldn't use anything but the stock MAF as the computer values were calibrated for that unit. I don't think you can really squeeze any performance out of it with a MAF, but I'm open to a logical explanation if somebody else thinks it is possible.

As for the air box, unless you're planning to run the thing at WOT a lot, it probably won't help you noticeably, and I'm quite sure you wouldn't notice anything using it as a daily driver. There's not much restriction in the intake system, and what is there only matters when you have your foot on the floor. Not worth the time and frustration investment, IMHO. If you want to squeeze a few more horsies out of it, look at a cat-back exhaust system.

Good luck with the MAF. Let us know what you do and how it turns out...

Snyder81
12-05-05, 03:12 AM
www.oehq.com indicates this part is also known as part # 88961010. GMPartsDirect.com has that part for $106.57 + $23.45 shipping plus a $60 core charge, so it comes out cheaper through them. Is it really the same part?

Mfgr Part No Description Price Core O/H Ord Qty Select Picture
AC DELCO 213-1616 [Mass Airflow Sensor (Reman)] (Same as: ACD88961010) 133.87 66.00