: Leaky Roof!

scrapper
08-08-13, 12:45 PM
OK I would like to pick someones brain for the lack of mine , My hearse has developed a leak in the roof when it rains , what product can i buy in Canada to stop this leak ? I was thinking of a paint thats rubberized for vinal roofs , now the roof is getting cheesey been on there since 1986 , but not sure any help would be appreciated thanks ,I think its leaking where the fiberglass roof meets the orig steel one , just under the chrome .134241: Doug ! PS:: see pic below

talismandave
08-08-13, 03:03 PM
Beautiful hearse!:inlove:

jayoldschool
08-08-13, 03:08 PM
The problem will be that one of the screws holding the fiberglass top on the steel has caused the steel to rust, allowing water to get through. The only way it's going to get permanently fixed is to pull off the vinyl, take out the screws, remove the fiberglass shell, body work the steel, and put it back together. A major job.

You might be able to remove the headliner to see exactly where the water is coming in, then try and seal using silicone from the back.

cadillac kevin
08-08-13, 04:24 PM
The problem will be that one of the screws holding the fiberglass top on the steel has caused the steel to rust, allowing water to get through. The only way it's going to get permanently fixed is to pull off the vinyl, take out the screws, remove the fiberglass shell, body work the steel, and put it back together. A major job.

You might be able to remove the headliner to see exactly where the water is coming in, then try and seal using silicone from the back.

This.
While, I do not own a hearse, I own a conversion van, and they have the same premise. Chop the roof off, and run sheetmetal screws into the body everywhere. Those sheetmetal screws break the paint and expose the bare metal, and depending on location, that invites rust. On older vans, much like your hearse, the rust pops out from under the fiberglass where it meets the steel roof due to poor sealing of the top to body as far as sheilding the metal they put sheetmetal screws into goes.

To correctly fix it, you are going to have to unscrew the fiberglass top and take it off, treat the rust, then reinstall the top with better sealing (if possible). It is not a job for the faint of heart or someone with a light wallet.
Like Jay suggested, depending on location, you might see if you can take apart the interior and put some silicone on the leak from the backside and see if that stops it. It won't fix the rust issue, but it may stop it from raining in the car.

cadillac_al
08-09-13, 08:06 AM
Since it is such a big involved job to fix it correctly I would be inclined to seal that seam with clear silicone and try to do it neat enough that it is barely noticeable. I might even invest in one of those cheap plastic scraper tools that is supposed to smooth out a caulking bead. It sure looks nice.

cadillac kevin
08-09-13, 08:49 AM
Since it is such a big involved job to fix it correctly I would be inclined to seal that seam with clear silicone and try to do it neat enough that it is barely noticeable. I might even invest in one of those cheap plastic scraper tools that is supposed to smooth out a caulking bead. It sure looks nice.

Your finger works just as well/ better than those cheapo tools :)

And when you get caulk, get one of the little squeeze tubes, not the big one you need a caulk gun for.

scrapper
08-10-13, 02:06 PM
Thank you I like it :)

The-Dullahan
08-10-13, 05:55 PM
I agree to go with silicone now and when you can fully assess the issue, determine how you would like to tackle it fram there.

So uh...

Let's see more photos of your Superior. Which rear layout do you have?