: Two arrested trying to stop GM from junking (EV1) electric cars

HotRodSaint
03-15-05, 01:07 PM
"Baywatch" actress Alexandra Paul and another woman were arrested Monday after blocking the path of trucks hauling General Motors Corp.'s pioneering EV1 electric cars to Arizona to be destroyed, police said. (http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/15/autos-117822.htm)

The company said the cars never became popular enough to turn a profit, and that they must be destroyed because there isn't a large enough supply of the car's 2,000 parts. That could make the vehicles unsafe and lead to lawsuits, GM contends.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-15-05, 01:26 PM
been watching this , its such a same GM decided to destory one of the most advanced cars it has made in 30 years .....

someone needed to step up and buy these cars and setup a parts operation , a whole industry could spring up maintinaing EV1s, electric rangers , eletric S10s ,and chrysler Epics ....

such a shame , i bet it could have been avoided with GM doing a simple legal document where the owners assumes all liablity for the vehicle ....

But really is that the reason there being destoryed , or is it that GM doesnt want people to maintin them or find out how they were built , i bet there are secrets in the desgin that can be found by others if the car had no legal attachment to GM....(read custody)

Jesda
03-15-05, 01:31 PM
There's probably long term design flaws that would create a liability.

HotRodSaint
03-15-05, 01:55 PM
There's probably long term design flaws that would create a liability.

That's what I think too.

They know it's a liability, waiting to explode. Maybe even literally!

Ralph
03-15-05, 02:22 PM
Personally I don't care if they are destroyed or not. When these hybrids really "catch on" just watch the price of gas double or tripple because the oil companies want the lost profits back!!

We are paying a new record now at $1.09 for a litre of Premium and I'm really pizzed!

kmhebert
03-15-05, 02:27 PM
Personally I don't care if they are destroyed or not. When these hybrids really "catch on" just watch the price of gas double or tripple because the oil companies want the lost profits back!!

We are paying a new record now at $1.09 for a litre of Premium and I'm really pizzed!

Yeah, it sucks. With the huge and growing rise in demand for oil, the sinking U.S. dollar, and the shrinking supply, it's like a perfect storm of events to drive price up, and up, and up. And you're probably right, a big move away from oil will result in increased costs as the oil companies try to make up a loss. However, with the increasing demand -- especially from China -- the odds are good that it would take a HUGE move away from oil to make this kind of price increase happen. In the long run we'll have to find another way to make our cars run other than petroleum. There are many costs incurred because of our dependency on foreign oil and not only just dollars leaving your wallet. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/shhh.gif

Ralph
03-15-05, 02:34 PM
Yeah, it sucks. With the huge and growing rise in demand for oil, the sinking U.S. dollar, and the shrinking supply, it's like a perfect storm of events to drive price up, and up, and up. And you're probably right, a big move away from oil will result in increased costs as the oil companies try to make up a loss. However, with the increasing demand -- especially from China -- the odds are good that it would take a HUGE move away from oil to make this kind of price increase happen. In the long run we'll have to find another way to make our cars run other than petroleum. There are many costs incurred because of our dependency on foreign oil and not only just dollars leaving your wallet. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/shhh.gif

I honestly believe there is enough petrolium to run our cars for the next 150 years, at least! I never buy into that "shrinking supply" theory because oil companies use it to hike the price. Up here they are still discovering HUGE reserves but they are not developing it! Off coast they are discovering patches the size of Texas!! And in my province alone!

'The number of barrels of proven Oil reserves in Canada is 180 billion; second only to Saudi Arabia (U.S. Department of Energy). Actual reserves may be 315 billion barrels alone in Canada's Tar Sands Oil Field according the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers."

http://www.canadianally.com/ca/about/facts-res-en.asp

You are correct about China starting to buy cars in record numbers. It's already effecting our prices for fuel and steel, etc. and we helped them develop their economy! :rolleyes2

Rolex
03-15-05, 02:36 PM
I was shocked to find out about some of the vehicles manufacturers will crush. Quite a few of these vehicles heavily modified with aftermarket parts for shows like SEMA, end up going to the crusher because of liability issues. It's a real shame.

kmhebert
03-15-05, 03:45 PM
I honestly believe there is enough petrolium to run our cars for the next 150 years, at least! I never buy into that "shrinking supply" theory because oil companies use it to hike the price. Up here they are still discovering HUGE reserves but they are not developing it! Off coast they are discovering patches the size of Texas!! And in my province alone!

Heh, well tell them to hurry up and refine it and sell it to us here in the US! It is true though, so far supply has kept up with demand over the years. And if the dollar wasn't dropping so precipitously we wouldn't have to trade 55 of them for a barrel of oil. Still, some prominent energy analysts are suggesting that this time Chicken Little might be right:http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/ill.gif
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/03/15/herold/

majax
03-15-05, 04:45 PM
We know how to make a gas engine that gets 60mpg + in town and that has lots of power. The oil industry is so corrupt:rolleyes2

CoupeDevilleRob
03-15-05, 05:08 PM
We know how to make a gas engine that gets 60mpg + in town and that has lots of power. The oil industry is so corrupt:rolleyes2

I remember my dad telling me about the electric trolleys they used to have in some parts of New York in the 40s. By the the 50s the oil companies bought out the electric trolley companies and disbanded them so the city would have to buy more buses to make up for the loss of trolley service. More buses meant more gas which meant more money for the oil companies. Greedy bastards. I'm sure they did this in other cities too, it was an evil, brilliant plan.

90Brougham350
03-15-05, 07:04 PM
Exactly. Look at Standard Oil buying the rights to the original Hemi. Look at the super carburetors in the 80s. The technology is there, but so is OPEC. But let's be honest here, adjusted for inflation, the price of a barrel of oil from the very early 80s is what, just above $90.00? In 1973, the first crisis brought about the advent of lean-tuned carburetors and thousands of imports from Japan. Did we adapt new technology? No, we just dealt with it. 1979, the second crisis. Did people stop buying Broughams? Of course not. By the mid 80s, prices had fallen again. It just takes time. And don't we get 80% of our oil from you guys in Canada anyways? I think I've heard that somewhere before. Just drill in ANWR, and release some more damn barrels already! Those fine chaps in Arabia are the richest people in the world. But just because we are faced with a crisis does not mean that new technology will be adapted. There are too many factors working against that happening.

Brian

Ralph
03-15-05, 08:16 PM
Exactly. Look at Standard Oil buying the rights to the original Hemi. Look at the super carburetors in the 80s. The technology is there, but so is OPEC. But let's be honest here, adjusted for inflation, the price of a barrel of oil from the very early 80s is what, just above $90.00? In 1973, the first crisis brought about the advent of lean-tuned carburetors and thousands of imports from Japan. Did we adapt new technology? No, we just dealt with it. 1979, the second crisis. Did people stop buying Broughams? Of course not. By the mid 80s, prices had fallen again. It just takes time. And don't we get 80% of our oil from you guys in Canada anyways? I think I've heard that somewhere before. Just drill in ANWR, and release some more damn barrels already! Those fine chaps in Arabia are the richest people in the world. But just because we are faced with a crisis does not mean that new technology will be adapted. There are too many factors working against that happening.

Brian

Ya, they are opening more and more wells. You Yanks demand the upcoming V10 Escalades, so something will have to be done! ;) Alberta is smart next door. they let the American drilling/oil companies come in and take all they want, and the province doesn't spend any money on it, but they reak the benefits. Thats what MY Province NEEDS to do but I have a feeling they would rather get tax dollars from people, meanwhile Alberta is debt free and figuring out what to do with the extra money!! They are talking of eliminating income tax all together!!! Then again, it might be wise to use up Saudi Arabia's supply before we exhaust our own. :shhh: Who knows.

BTW, your link won't work and there were about 3 pop-ups on it.

Playdrv4me
03-15-05, 08:53 PM
I was watching 4X4 on the Power Block with Danica Patrick on Spike Saturday, and they did a retro show looking back at some of the greatest build ups of past shows. On the first shows, the MFR's were providing the vehicles to be modded out. Everything from fast street trucks to off-road trucks. Every last one of them ended up at the crusher because of legal liability reasons, so they quit taking vehicles from the manufacturers, and started doing private owner builds.

I swear, lawsuits are one of the few shitty things about this country. Lawyers are rich, medical care is expensive beyond logical reason, and awesome cars are crushed here, all because of lawsuits.

Ralph
03-15-05, 09:07 PM
I was watching 4X4 on the Power Block with Danica Patrick on Spike Saturday, and they did a retro show looking back at some of the greatest build ups of past shows. On the first shows, the MFR's were providing the vehicles to be modded out. Everything from fast street trucks to off-road trucks. Every last one of them ended up at the crusher because of legal liability reasons, so they quit taking vehicles from the manufacturers, and started doing private owner builds.

I swear, lawsuits are one of the few shitty things about this country. Lawyers are rich, medical care is expensive beyond logical reason, and awesome cars are crushed here, all because of lawsuits.

Do you know about the Trans Am crushing a few years ago? There was a nice TA I was looking at and the salesman told me it's not for sale because about 2500 of them had SLIGHTLY twisted frames or chassis or? So they were sent to be crushed. They could have GIVEN it to me!! :crying2:

Stoneage_Caddy
03-15-05, 09:33 PM
Do you know about the Trans Am crushing a few years ago? There was a nice TA I was looking at and the salesman told me it's not for sale because about 2500 of them had SLIGHTLY twisted frames or chassis or? So they were sent to be crushed. They could have GIVEN it to me!! :crying2:
LOL try living down here , the junkyard i freqent is the end of the line for VW ,and Audi pre production protypes , ive seen tham all crushed ...got pictures(not digital) of 25 "New Beetles , all silver ,all brand new all 100% complete ...all crushed ...these were taken 5 months before the car was to be introduced to the public ....ive seen A4s there and one lone Audi A3 wagon ...

A freind of mine got a first generation Audi A3 for free from VW when he promised to use it as a racecar , which he did , the car was pretty compeditive...

if any of you get the chance to got o the vette museum youll get the chance to see not only one but two corvette prtottypes (c5) that didnt get crushed ...i do have didgcam pics of these somewhere ...so not allthe cool stuff get crushed but most of it does

davesdeville
03-16-05, 12:25 AM

So... how do we do it? Especailly without raising vehicle prices by a mile?

Ralph, reek means smell. Reap is the word you're looking for.

HotRodSaint
03-16-05, 11:53 AM
So... how do we do it? Especailly without raising vehicle prices by a mile?

Honda already markets their 60mpg 2-seater.

Make it light weight and aerodynamic (skinny tires and skirts).

But the buying public doesn't want light weight car's, that they equate with being nothing more than tin-cans.

slk230mb
03-16-05, 01:20 PM

But the buying public doesn't want light weight car's, that they equate with being nothing more than tin-cans.

We're in America, bigger is better. My family has 3 SUVs and it's all total overkill, why? I have no idea.

There used to be a station to charge the EV1s not to far from my house, it was cool to see them out there.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-16-05, 01:36 PM
I really want one of the EV1s ....but id want to remove the total electric and build my Diesel hybrid drivetrain ....

Dad wants to run one with a Tubrine Hybrid setup ...

either rate ..GM id like two please , minus your drivetrain ...

make that three , i think a northstar might fit ...

Stoneage_Caddy
03-16-05, 01:39 PM
By the way theve been crushing them for awhile ....check it out if you can stand it ....

yah i know...but i like them ....
http://ev1-club.power.net/archive/031219/jpg/after2.jpg

http://ev1-club.power.net/

Jesda
03-16-05, 02:56 PM
God, those things are ugly as sin.

Playdrv4me
03-16-05, 03:07 PM
They look like baby Saturns.

davesdeville
03-16-05, 06:08 PM
I meant a regular car, like an Impala sized thing that can still keep up with traffic. Not that POS insight.

Rolex
03-17-05, 06:42 AM

I'm ok with driving a tin-can, as long as everyone else is driving the same. I just don't want to be the one driving the tin can coliding with the soccer mom in the 5000 lb suburban:( . tin can vs. suv = suv wins every time:yup:

HotRodSaint
03-18-05, 11:44 AM
Not that POS insight.

I think they could be modified for Bonneville pretty easily. :thumbsup: