: wiper woes

sleekster
03-15-05, 08:52 AM
my 1985 fleetwood bro ham windshield wipers stop in the middle of the windshield when i use delay, when they are on low med or high they work fine but as i said when i use delay they come off park position make a wipe and stop in the middle of the windshield instead of parking at the bottm as they should, when you turn them off they park at the bottom. any idea what is wrong and what needs to be replaced? i am not sure if the delay function is a separate module or what?

pimpin88
03-17-05, 09:55 AM
i have the same problem with mine. if you pop the hood and look at the wiper motor. there is an arm that goes to both wipers. loosen the nuts and change the position of the wiper. tighten the nuts back up, run the wipers and see if they stop where you like them.

sleekster
03-17-05, 10:04 AM
actually they park where they are suppose to it is just when you use delay they pause in the middle of the w/shld instead of the bottom, i have been doing some research and from what i have found it seems like it is the wiper relay switch i believe it is located near or in the motor housing i still have to find out.

kmhebert
03-17-05, 12:50 PM
Mine do something weird too, sometimes I'll run the washer and when it's finished with its cycle the blades kind of jerk up and down about one inch 3 or 4 times before finally settling down. Any ideas?

pimpin88
03-18-05, 03:34 PM
i'll look at mine more closely, but i wont be able to get back to you guys until after the weekend cuz i am goin out of town

The Ape Man
03-20-05, 11:22 AM
One thing to remember. If you land up replacing the wiper motor with a used one: They don't keep well. I've got a stash of these which have been removed from various wrecks back in the '80's. I tested them before removal. Every one which has been pressed back into service has had some problem. There are a few electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board which probably fail after non-use for some years. If you find yourself in the wrecking yard, make sure to have an understanding with the person who takes your $25.00 that you can exchange any duds. Here are my thoughts on repairing wiper motors. $%##%@%^&^%$W#@@@%%%^(. :banghead:

sleekster
03-22-05, 07:36 AM
well i had good intentions of fixing my wiper motor but after taking it apart there were no visible damaged parts there was a printed circuit board and a relay and no local parts store had a clue as to finding replacement parts so i just went ahead and replaced the whole darn thing and now everything works. i was thinking though i should have tried to find someone to rebuild mine as mine was the original one that came with the car.

Katshot
03-22-05, 07:53 AM
usually, this symptom is caused by an improperly assembled timing cover assembly. When the cover is installed the pin in the motor must properly align with the groove in the timing cam, on the cover. If you get the pin improperly aligned, it will stop the wipers in the incorrect position, yet still not affect the parking of the blades.