: new generator-->ECM broken

ninafromfinland
08-07-13, 12:25 PM
Hello! Have anybody heard before, is that usual: I had to change generator to my 1996 Deville (4.6 Northstar) While the job was doing went engine control module broken. There was nothing wrong with the car but low charge before the charger replacement. What happened, did the mechanic something wrong? Really big bill is coming.

Submariner409
08-07-13, 12:59 PM
Hello, and Welcome !!!

Without knowing all the details of the alternator (generator) repair, I can only assume that some improper connection was made which caused a large voltage surge in the electrical system and that caused the ECM failure.

Your car has a built-in diagnostic trouble code system. It functions in the OBD-II data protocol. Use the proper sections of the sticky post just above this one - "How to pull codes" - to enter the system readout and find any fault codes stored. Write them all down, return to the sticky to open the link to lists of all code definitions. Write down your codes and their definitions found in your car's memory and post it all here.

maeng9981
08-07-13, 02:31 PM
What made you believe that ECM is bad?

ninafromfinland
08-10-13, 06:59 PM
Thank you. :) The repair shop had to order a new ECM after replacing the new generator. At the begining there was nothing wrong with the car but low charge. Ok, I have to check if there is any codes left in history after programming.

maeng9981
08-10-13, 11:50 PM
Low voltage condition can falsely activate service messages and alarms. It usually clears up when you fix the low voltage condition and clear the codes. Again, what's going on with the car that you believe that your ECM is broken?

ninafromfinland
08-15-13, 01:34 PM
...because they bought a new ECM to my car. The motor has runned but did not started.

----------

[/COLOR]
Low voltage condition can falsely activate service messages and alarms. It usually clears up when you fix the low voltage condition and clear the codes. Again, what's going on with the car that you believe that your ECM is broken?

Becauce they ordered a new ECM to my car. Now there is history codes:ac2255, ac2064, ac2146, ac2096 and current codes rs0038, rs0061, rs0065 and ac2146.