: shocks

jackfoot
03-14-05, 10:11 PM
what do you guys think about the gabriel shocks from autozone for my 96 fleetwood

scurling
03-14-05, 11:25 PM
Jack:

I know a lot of guys here like the more exotic brands, but i went with the Monroe AirMax for the rear of my '94 Fltwd. I didn't see the Gabriel until after I had purchased the Monroe units, but they looked like a good set of shocks. You know, Gabriels have been around for many years. I didn't even know they were still being made.

You could do a search on shocks and find a lot of hits on this forum to see what others have used. Many Fltwd. owners have gone to the non-air adjusters for the rear when their air-compressor ride height leveler went bad.

I'm up in Herndon, but originally from South Norfolk. Still have a lot of folks in the Tidewater area.

ocjmakaveli
03-15-05, 01:34 AM
i've had a pair of gabriel air shocks in my caddy for about 12 months maybe more and they're still good. I only use my caddy casually though.Careful when routing the air line not to put it somewhere it can be pinched etc.

I've had gabriel air shocks in my 2000 suburban for about 9 months and it's gone through 60,000 miles with about 3,000 lbs. of towing in the back for all those miles and they're still working fine I only check the air about once a month and they usually go down very little.

for the 59.99 these are the best shocks I've ever bought compared to other heavy duty gas shocks i've had which usually go bad at 12 months with little mileage the air shocks give a good soft ride.

jackfoot
03-15-05, 11:34 PM
thanks for the info

N0DIH
10-23-05, 02:15 AM
Sorry for reviving the old thread....

But I just put on a set of 9C1 Gabriel Ultra shocks on my Fleetwood. Front only so far. But it rides awesome. But, in my experience, when a shock is new, it works great, and then after 500 miles or so, starts to settle down to be mediocre. I would have picked up Bilstiens if I could have picked them up before Sat. Everyone wants to give me a 5 day wait. Oh well....

We will see if these shocks hold up. They claim to have a leakproof piston. Hopefully they will hold up. I do 30K miles a year, so a few months will show a lot.

At least these are the cop car HD shocks. They had 3, the tiny shock for $12, the super firm one for $19, and then the Ultra for $29. I was concerned the $19 was too stiff, but it probably would have been ok, the Ultra was probably 10% softer in pressure, and rides great. Any Cadillac fan would appreciate. Solid and stable. Makes the car one of the best rides I have driven (And that is high prasise, as I am compariing 2000 S500 MBenz, #1 Prototype VW Phaeton, my 91 Deville, and a 97 Deville). I would rank this #1 at this time. Lets see if the shocks hold up performance.

vanaisa
10-23-05, 05:05 AM
N0DIH, can you wrote here part# for those super firm Bilsteins?
I must change front shocks soon, and i want little more stiffness, compared to original shocks...
´93 and ´94 FWB - they must be same parts, right?

N0DIH
10-24-05, 08:09 PM
There is the HD and the Sport.

Check http://www.theherd.com/articles/bshocks.html for more on the Bilsteins.

That is why I went with the Gabriel Ultras.

The super firm Gabriels were the 61555 for the stiff ones, the Ultra's were G63375, and the junk ones were 81713.

BlackLac96
10-25-05, 01:29 AM
I replaced my rear shocks with the Monroe I believe they are called hijackers. I am really pleased with the handling. The only issue that crept up was the fact that the compressor kept running. I then replaced the rear springs w/ MOOG ones (they were sagging) and the compressor hardly kicks in at all now.

N0DIH
10-25-05, 06:49 PM
I was wondering how the hijackers ride. Sorta concerning the compressor kept running, that would indicate a leak or it was too low (maybe the springs were weak already?)

Johnny Bravo
08-11-06, 11:46 PM
Sorry for reviving the old thread....

But I just put on a set of 9C1 Gabriel Ultra shocks on my Fleetwood. Front only so far. But it rides awesome. But, in my experience, when a shock is new, it works great, and then after 500 miles or so, starts to settle down to be mediocre. We will see if these shocks hold up.
N0DIH,

How did the Gabriel Ultra shocks work out?

My Monroe "gas-mastics" had a reasonably soft ride but started leaking oil after 12 months. Advance Auto exchanged them for a set of Sensa-Tracs but they rode way too firm for my taste.

Now the Auto Zone guy said the Ultras would give a softer ride than their cheaper shocks but I'm skeptical at this point.
I want the most comfortable ride possible, not high performance.

96Fleetwood
08-12-06, 03:33 PM
I have the bilsteins paired with Impala SS springs, Hotchkis sway bars, and UMI upper and lower control arms. Sometimes the ride is a bit harsh on unforgiving roads, but the performance difference is amazing.

easymoney$$$$
08-12-06, 06:58 PM
[.................................................. ......

mrpiercings
08-13-06, 11:17 AM
Hello I'm new to the Cadillac world and reading this forum has been a great help so far. I took my 94 Fleetwood to the dealer to have it looked at and they informed my that the rear air shocks where bad. One shock had the split and the other had rust. They want to charge me 500.00 for new OEM sir shocks, they said that aftermarket air shocks wont work. My compressor will check on when I turn my car off for about 1 minute and then it shuts off. I can't tell if the rear is raising up or not. So can I use aftermarket shocks is there anything other parts I need so the the aftermarket shocks can be hooked up to my car compressor?

easymoney$$$$
08-13-06, 12:10 PM
I am in the middlle of putting aftermarket air shocks on my 93 FWB now. I can't hook up my shocks to the air compressor. The lines are different on the ends. If you find any info on hooking them up please let me know, I couldn't find anyone here that could help me. You might be better buying the factory shocks and putting them on yourself. good luck. stranded for now. em