: Rattling noise when starting 2005 Escalade

thadonger
08-06-13, 11:06 AM
I have a 2005 Escalade and every time I start the engine within 10-15 seconds of being on, I have a rattling noise just above the rear driver's side tire. The rattling just last for about 5 seconds but I was just curious if anyone can shed any light on this. Truck runs great and I'm pretty sure it isn't anything I should worry about since I've had the car serviced before and no one brought it to my attention. I was wondering if this is a common thing. I can try to take a picture of where I think the noise is coming from and post later.

BlueOvalKid
08-06-13, 01:09 PM
It's the autoride air compressor most likely

the cadillac man
08-06-13, 02:17 PM
I second its the auto leveling compressor

thadonger
08-06-13, 05:53 PM
Thanks. Is it supposed to make a noise like that or is it something that I should worry about?

the cadillac man
08-06-13, 06:10 PM
Thanks. Is it supposed to make a noise like that or is it something that I should worry about?

Mine makes brrr noise
Just how bad is it making the noise?

If it is loud enough to hear it real clear over the engine then it is in need of replacing soon

Make sure you check the shocks for leaks before you replace the compressor as leaky shocks can burn up the compressor quick

thadonger
08-19-13, 11:00 PM
Ok now the compressor rattles longer than a few seconds and even comes on while I'm driving. About how much is this going to cost to get fixed or is this something that I can do on my own?

the cadillac man
08-20-13, 01:25 AM
Ok now the compressor rattles longer than a few seconds and even comes on while I'm driving. About how much is this going to cost to get fixed or is this something that I can do on my own?

Sounds like the shocks are leaking and both them and the compressor needs replacing

The price depends on where you get the parts from

thadonger
08-20-13, 03:35 PM
Thanks, I think. So when driving the car today, the compressor has returned back to its normal operation from last week. Rattles for about 5-7 seconds when I turn the engine on and shuts off. I think I'm going to have to take it to my mechanic to make sure what the issue is but am hoping its not bad/costly news...

How can I tell if the shocks are leaking?

the cadillac man
08-20-13, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I think. So when driving the car today, the compressor has returned back to its normal operation from last week. Rattles for about 5-7 seconds when I turn the engine on and shuts off. I think I'm going to have to take it to my mechanic to make sure what the issue is but am hoping its not bad/costly news...

How can I tell if the shocks are leaking?

Mix up some soap and water and spray the shocks while working the rear bumper or turn the key to run and watch for bubbles