: Changing Power Steering Fluid

carguy16
03-14-05, 11:38 AM
I am in the process of changing some Power steering fluid right now.

I took a turkey bayster and sucked the old fluid out, and put it in a milk container, it is now 1/8 to 1/10th full, I will put some new fluid in, and start the car and hope fully cycle it through.

The old fluid is milky, pitch black in color, and has a bad odor.

Parts:

$2.99 Turkey Bayster
$2.00 EACH for a quart of power steering fluid, 2 quarts of cheap Advance Auto Part's Fluid. They had Maxlife, but I figured its just power steering fluid, new fluid is better then old fluid...

EDIT: The new fluid is clear as day, its a night and day difference. I have already sucked 1 quart of old fluid out, and put in one quart of new fluid. I would suck some old out, put new fluid in, start the car, turn the wheel left and right several times, then shut down, repeat the process. The fluid still circulates black when I suck it out, but, I still have about another quarter of new fluid to put in, so we shall see.

carguy16
03-14-05, 03:38 PM
Finally done with the flush. In the end, the fluid level has change to a lighter color within the reservoir, after being driven around. Gone is the bad smell of what was probably burned fluid. I feel a little better now. Probably stock fluid.