: Lean In Back

jackfoot
03-14-05, 03:05 AM
My 96 Fleetwood Is Leaning Is The Back. It's Lower On The Right Than The Left. After I Get Out Of The Vehicle From Driving The Air Pumps Runs For 10 Or 15 Minutes And Never Levels. Once I Jacked Up The Rear Right A Little And The Pump Went Off. I Let The Jack Down And The Started Going Again To Level The Vehicle. Do You Think The Shocks Are Bad Or The Springs? Or Is The Air Leaking. Any Help Please.

carguy16
03-14-05, 01:58 PM
I think the air goes in the shock, sounds like a bad shock...

When you jack it up, it shuts off because it thinks the car is level. And if you let the pump keep running, you might kill your battery(if the engines off) or worse, the pump...I dont know if you can kill the pump, I dont think its designed to run that long.

My 96 Fleetwood Is Leaning Is The Back. It's Lower On The Right Than The Left. After I Get Out Of The Vehicle From Driving The Air Pumps Runs For 10 Or 15 Minutes And Never Levels. Once I Jacked Up The Rear Right A Little And The Pump Went Off. I Let The Jack Down And The Started Going Again To Level The Vehicle. Do You Think The Shocks Are Bad Or The Springs? Or Is The Air Leaking. Any Help Please.

jackfoot
03-14-05, 11:00 PM
do you think i could be a leak some where. Also how hard is it to change the shocks.

DopeStar 156
03-15-05, 12:29 PM
Is it typical for these cars to sag in the winter months due to the cold?

scurling
03-15-05, 07:20 PM
Jack I changed my rear shocks a few weeks ago. I copied this from the posting.

Installation went ok with the normal rusty bolt issues. I'm glad I have small arms and hands, because you have to get an offset 13mm box wrench, or a small head ratchet on top of the two upper shock mounting bolts.

Also, the head of the bolt is a 10mm fitting, and the nut is 13mm. You would never guess the top nut is a different size from the bolt head. Being rusty also made the socket fitting deceiving because the removal is a blind operation. You can't see the top of the shock mounting bracket under the rear seat back.
It was a pain to say the least.

I would recommend using a "6-point" 10mm socket on the upper mounting bolts. I used a "12-point" and almost rounded off the rusty 10mm bolt nuts.

Good luck.

N0DIH
03-15-05, 08:24 PM
Just to be sure, you didn't just change one of the front swaybar links did you?

It will make the car lean and never be able to correct. My dad replaced a single broken link with a Autozone replacement. Never thought that there might be a difference in dimensions of the spacer. Gave us fits for a while. Well, ended up with 442 springs on all corners and 442 bars by the time were were done! It was pretty fun after that!

Tom

MrSmith
03-15-05, 10:48 PM
I just changed my rear shocks on Sat. My pump would go for about 10 minutes before it stopped also. after replacing the strut on Saturday, I heard my pump one time and thats all Ive heard from it. It doesnt look like Im sagging, but then again I dont know what the sag is suppose to look like. I see other 91 FWD DeVilles that look like there sitting higher than mine is and some lower.

How often should I hear my motor if I have new shocks. I never have any passengers and a completely empty trunk.

jackfoot
03-16-05, 12:32 AM
no I didn't replace any sway bars? I'm going to try and look for leaks this weekend

scurling
03-16-05, 10:12 PM
Mr Smith:

You shouldn't hear the air compressor cycle to often if the system is good and air tight. It is very normal for the system to charge after the new shock installation, because the new shocks have no air compression right out of the box.

If the '93 is like the next years Fltwds., the ride height is adjustable to a slight degree by adjusting the level control device mounted above the rear axle, just right of center, inside the upper control arm. There is an adjustable arm on the unit that can be moved up or down a half inch or so. Loosen the nut (10mm I think) in the middle of the arm and adjust it up or down as needed. Moving it down will cause the ride height to be increased and move the body up (you are telling the level indicator that the car is sitting lower, so raise it up). A little movement goes a long way.

So, it the system immediately charged and has been stable since then, it sounds like the ride height/leveling system is working fine.

MrSmith
03-16-05, 10:25 PM
Mine is a 91. Thanks. I heard it a few time for about 5 or 10 seconds at a time. no more than that. sometimes I hear it and I put my fist under the fender well and feel it lift. Pretty cool.

scurling
03-16-05, 10:47 PM
How often do you hear the compressor cut in? If you hear it a few times a day, I would inspect for a minor air leak in the new installation. Running the compressor too often will only lead to premature failure. I hear my compressor cut on about once or twice a week.

I would think that the old disk soap solution would be a good way to detect a leak at the shock connectors or the "T" connector.

MrSmith
03-16-05, 11:04 PM
I heard it once today when i parked on a hill. I heard it a few days ago when i changed the shocks. I THINK I hear it while driving but it could be something else. I havent narrowed it down yet.

scurling
03-17-05, 08:49 PM
Hey Smitty;

Doesn't sound too frequent to me. It shouldn't turn on while you are running, as a general rule. There is a delay in the cuton and cutoff of the compressor which should compensate for the general movement in the rear end while running down the road.

MrSmith
03-17-05, 09:29 PM
hope Im not hearing it while driving. But if so what??

They are pretty simple to replace so If I must I gotta exchange one.?

they ride fine, not sure how high im suppose to be, Ive see some higher than I and lower too

jackfoot
03-22-05, 09:53 AM
In changing the shocks was there any problems. Like do I have to support the springs or anything, and does the shock pop out after unbolting it?

scurling
03-22-05, 10:40 AM
Jack:

There's nothing especially difficult about changing the rear shocks. I find it easier to supot the rear of the car on jack stands, so I have the axle free to move with a floor jack on case I need to adjust the axle assembly to aid in dissasembly. The shocks can be removed with the vehicle weight on the rear wheels, but I find it easier with the axle hanging free. It also provides more hand and wrench room to get the old shocks out.

With the air suppy line disconnected from the factory rear shocks, there is no charge or pressure in the shocks, and they will not pop out as you have asked.

Rear my comments above for the issues I ran into, e.g. I recommend 6 point sockets for the 10mm and 13mm upper nut and bolt attachments. 12 point sockets may possibly round off rust bolts and nuts.

jackfoot
03-22-05, 12:27 PM
thanks a lot

MrSmith
03-22-05, 09:00 PM
Has anyone come across the rear strut mounts that have slots or groves?? My rear strut mounts have slots/grove in them.

I wanted to know if you were able too tighten your strut mount to the point were it was flush with the stut. I used my allen and wrench but I couldnt tighten it any farther than it looked on the original strut. Im not having any ride problems, just wondering.

OH!!

and yes. My leveling motor is coming on. no longer than 1 second at a time though. maybe after I get in and drive around for a little while Ill hear it come on then go off. I dont see it sagging at all though. is there a problem?? Keep in mind. I barely listen to music while Im in it, so I hear everything its doing.

MrSmith
03-30-05, 12:42 AM
Went and replaced the struts again. This time with Sensor Trac.

I havent noticed the pump coming on any more than 1 second while dropping my little boy off. Its usually comes on at the hill leaving the drive way. But Ive been hearing a tinging coming from the rear and my right rear/passenger side was leaning noticably. So I changed them. I dont hear the tinging and the rear anymore but the lean on the same side is the same.:helpless: any suggestions