: Straight ahead CAI...without 90* bend

lollygagger8
08-05-13, 03:20 PM
I'm on a mission to get a CAI that doesn't have the HP killing 90* bend in it.

This led me to.....
http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=182&Itemid=54

I emailed them and they said:

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 1:18 PM
To: lollygagger8
Subject: Re: CAI question

Shane -

We would need the car here for fabrication and testing. It would need to be here for a while.

Steve - New Era Performance

They are in Rochester NY. Who's willing to be a guinea pig?? There is some substantial gain to be had from a kit like this.

I've heard talk of someone that used to make these for V's a while back, but can't find anymore info than that.

Andringa
08-05-13, 04:19 PM
I haven't seen the G8 GT/GXP engine bay to compare but their description says that they tilted the radiator back 2" to create enough room. When I swapped in the Alradco radiator it didn't seem like the stock unit had anywhere near 2" of play, and the Alradco unit has about .01" of clearance. (Water pump to fan shroud is basically touching)

I think that your best bet to get the over the radiator air flow that you want would be to have Alradco build you a radiator that allows for it. Alradco was discussing how this may be able to be possible a couple months back, but I don't think anyone was willing to be a guinea pig.

rand49er
08-05-13, 04:29 PM
^^^ Yeah that.

With the Magnuson heat exchanger squeezed in there, too, I don't see it happening for us maggie guys without an entirely new rad/HEX design.

Dan_Gurney
08-06-13, 01:39 AM
This has been discussed with Allradco before on one of the forums. once you get past the radiator it is still going to be hard to get the filter in front of it. Look at all the metal support in front of the radiator. It would take a lot of time/money to make this work. we almost need a Firebird ram-air type hood/filter arrangement as a cheaper/easier option

RyRidesMotoX
08-06-13, 03:09 AM
^^^ So true but I haven't seen any ram air hoods for our cars... let alone a hood that looks good that will fit.

lollygagger8
08-06-13, 08:20 AM
Sunuva!!!

Somebody from NY needs to let them borrow the V over the winter so they can figure something out then.

We need this!!

Becker
08-06-13, 08:41 AM
seems to me that the Price per HP gain on this is way out of my league....I dont know how I feel on a V having a ram air hood... but then again it probably would look sick haha...

lollygagger8
08-06-13, 11:11 AM
Does anyone have the link to the thread about the Alradco radiator possibly being made?

I'm not getting a ram air hood, but I think a shorter radiator would work, which I might be willing to try.

shadybx7
08-06-13, 11:42 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/113286-otrcai-done.html

you see this lolly, from a while back.. this guy was hilarious before he got banned. I like the idea it just seems like there is no room for it without major rad modifications or a new shorter rad. I DD my V so i cant be the guinea pig

nikdsctsv
08-06-13, 12:08 PM
So...why all the negativity? If someone would let them use their car lets see if they come back with a product, or a no-go.

lollygagger8
08-07-13, 02:03 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/113286-otrcai-done.html

you see this lolly, from a while back.. this guy was hilarious before he got banned. I like the idea it just seems like there is no room for it without major rad modifications or a new shorter rad. I DD my V so i cant be the guinea pig

Thanks man.

Somebody in NY has got to NOT drive their V in the winter....cmon!

RyRidesMotoX
08-07-13, 03:31 PM
In the famous words of the clarkson, "How hard can it be?!?"

Scoop up a stock Corvette intake and drop the radiator...... What really ought to be looked into is alradco possibly making a radiator with an area of the top made for like a say 3inch intake tube to go through lol... Seriously though that would be pretty badass.

platinum_V
08-07-13, 09:40 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/242774-my-f1c-pro-charged-cts-v.html

That guy put a z06 radiator and aftermarket fans, and was able to get it down low enough to what seems like enough space to put the intake facing forward. Sure you'd have to cut into the radiator/core support to fit the tube but you can reinforce it like he did and just attach the rest of the intake tube to that welded tube. Just have to get around the hood latch, but it'll be a lot less of an angel as opposed to the 90. ( I hope I explained myself well enough haha).

Does the 90 bend really kill that much HP? How much of a gain do you guys think can be seen if a straight cai would be made?

If it'll be worth it, then I'd like to give it a try.

lollygagger8
08-08-13, 09:10 AM
I guess I'll have to try and find a stock Vette intake to try and mock something up.