: Three 1987 Brougham questions...

Nosnikcoh
03-13-05, 10:37 PM
Hey group:

I have been trying to gather information to assist selling our 1987 Cadillac Brougham (58K original documented miles). Both the check engine light & cruise control are parts that have been assessed by a quality local Cadillac dealer-ship & other Cadillac dealerships throughout the life of the car.

(1) The check engine light periodically illuminates from time to time & then disappears. It
has done this since we inherited the car in 2001. Apparently when the car was new, it
also performed this act. The car was taken to the dealership & the light replaced (at a
co$t) only to return to it's reappearing act a few months later. Nothing was ever
determined as to the reason it did this.

(2) The cruise control prior to 2001, when activated, would steadily increase in speed well
past 80 (& probably would've kept on going had it not been deactivated). The local
Cadillac dealership quoted $400 to repair it. Any information you've either heard or run
across in regards to this malfunction would be appreciated. We received a letter in
2002 from a Cadillac member in PA saying that the '87 Cadillac was known for having
this problem. We've no idea where this information came from (other than someone
else's '87 experienced the same problem).

(3) From having read the previously posted inquiries regarding the opera
lights - this is something that I have wondered about back when I owned
my 1982 Fleetwood d'Elegance. Even those did not illuminate. These on
the '87 have not yet illuminated & I have no knowledge if they ever did or
not. The owner's manual lists what type bulb is required to replace the
opera light, but no information on how to access the bulb or how to
remove the plastic lens. IF it's a no-brainer, it's beyond me.

Any information you could provide would be a wealth of information to both us as well as to the inquiring patron.

For those of you who may be interested check out the following link:
http://www.geocities.com/alamobuickclub/caddyforsale.html

~Nosnikcoh

Spock
03-14-05, 03:16 AM
1. The check engine light deals with emissions so if it goes on and then disappears then it means the problem occurs, then is remedied. When it does happen, try to pull the code to see what exactly is the problem. I wouldn't worry about it though unless there is a noticable decrease in performance.

2. To my understanding this system is vaccuum operated and therefore could have a leak in the system. Defective in the cruise control is the cruise control servo bail bushing defect. That's the saftey recall that many of the broughams had.

3. They'll never work, the witchcraft of the day made the light quite complicated, I haven't removed them but I believe the operation is quite intrusive.

For further details, search the forums for previous posts regarding the subjects.

DopeStar 156
03-14-05, 11:25 AM
The opera light thing is a pain in the ass to do, but if you're feeling up to it, I've done it before and would be happy to give you instructions. You have to access them from the inside.

Nosnikcoh
03-25-05, 02:49 PM
ok, I'm game... how does one access the opera light(s) on a 1987 Brougham? :suspense:

Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanic - just a lover of land yachts!

~Nosnikcoh

brougham
03-25-05, 07:21 PM
You can try doing a search for it. There are a bunch of posts around here about those lights.

ChiTDI
03-28-05, 12:57 PM
The CEL on and off is customary for aged carbed V-8's, so I've been told. If you can grab a code, you can replace a TBS, O2 sensor, possibly a ECU and feel better. Until the light comes back later. Your $. A real problem will have the light on and stay on. You are not alone in your symptoms. Parts are cheaper (sensors anyway) than some new vehicles so it is good work and beneficial. Great riding car though isn't it?