: Steering Wheel Removal

DopeStar 156
03-13-05, 10:19 PM
Can anyone tell me what's involved in the removal process of the steering wheel from an '89 Brougham?

Big_Blue
03-13-05, 10:29 PM
1. remove the wheel spoke cover by loosing the screws in the back of the steering wheel.
2. pull the cover off carefully and disconnect the wire for the horn switch
3. remove the steering wheel retaining nut and make sure to mark the postion of the steering wheel to the hub.
4. use a steering wheel puller and remove the wheel from the hub aka steering shaft
5. reverse the order in putting steering wheel back
6. Your done (blow the horn)

Night Wolf
03-13-05, 10:39 PM
You also need a lock plate remover....

the actual wheel itself is pretty easy to remove.... really once you have done it a few times it is a simple process.... no air bag helps too.

DopeStar 156
03-14-05, 11:19 AM
A steering wheel puller? I don't have one of those. Maybe I should have my mechanic do it for me?

Big_Blue
03-14-05, 01:17 PM
steering wheel puller should cost no more then 20 bucks at a local auto part store. You really dont need it cause I seen it pulled without one but it makes it easier. Dont go buy some expensive Mack and Snap on steering puller cause you only need it once or twice unless you doing alot of steering wheels in your lifetime

DopeStar 156
03-14-05, 08:32 PM
Oh all right. I'll have to pick one up. I'm just looking to replace the wheel on my Brougham because the leather's all cracked and such. I wanna find one that's in better shape.

kmhebert
03-14-05, 09:27 PM
Oh all right. I'll have to pick one up. I'm just looking to replace the wheel on my Brougham because the leather's all cracked and such. I wanna find one that's in better shape.

Yeah, mine's kind of dirty also. I was thinking of getting a newer one with a thicker grip. Can you put any kind of steering wheel on or do you have to use the same kind?

Scottie in Alabama
03-14-05, 09:53 PM
I want to look into having mine leather wrapped. Anyone had it done?

IndyBrougham
10-22-07, 06:45 PM
What do you all think of this in a FWB?

There is nothing so elegant and classy as a Nardi. Will this work do you think?

jayoldschool
10-22-07, 09:08 PM
Most parts places will loan you a steering wheel puller. I believe NAPA and Autozone loan tools.

Night, what's the lock plate tool? I have done wheels on both my 71 Pontiac, and my 95 Impala SS, and only used my steering wheel puller. Is there something different on my Caddy? I have a factory leather wheel to swap on, so I appreciate the advice. I also have the FSM sitting right next to me, so I'll check what it says and post it up...

Jason.