: Help! Stripped wheel hub bolt

icaddy
08-05-13, 03:41 PM
So I ordered the McGaughy's 33047 lowing kit and start to work on front suspension last weekend... removed wheel hub center nut with no problem, while removing the three wheel hub nuts on the back of hub is pain ... end up with stripped bolt at 12 o'clock position. There isn't much room over there. Any good idea to remove that bolt?

----------

Here is the picture, not very clear though. it's 15 mm.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzZsy2Gr2AGAVTJtUkJHZ2F5UkU/edit?usp=sharing

BlueOvalKid
08-05-13, 05:11 PM
Take the entire spindle off and remove the bolt while you can get at it properly.

icaddy
08-05-13, 05:26 PM
Take the entire spindle off and remove the bolt while you can get at it properly.

what do I need to remove prior to removing the whole spindle assemble? tie rod? CV joint? ball joint?

Many thanks

bigirb2002
08-05-13, 10:18 PM
Since it's stripped. The best way to do this is get a old socket that almost fits over bolt. The hammer the socket on. Then remove bolt. Before u take bolt completelyoff wiggle back and toward to release the socket. Hers a alternative. Get a gator socket or stepper socket . They are readily available at hard ware stores

icaddy
08-06-13, 11:48 AM
Since it's stripped. The best way to do this is get a old socket that almost fits over bolt. The hammer the socket on. Then remove bolt. Before u take bolt completelyoff wiggle back and toward to release the socket. Hers a alternative. Get a gator socket or stepper socket . They are readily available at hard ware stores

The biggest issue is, as I said at the original post, there is not much space around the bolt that I can work with. I actually got a set of damaged bolt remover socket kit from Sears, but after put the socket on there is no space for a breaker bar...

I checked the spindle last night and I think I will start to remove tie rod, ball joints as BlueOvalKit suggested to remove the whole assembly.

wake
08-07-13, 01:41 AM
One item to remember for future jobs when you replace a hub is to heat the bolt prior to trying to remove it. They have Loctite on them and are much easier to remove if you heat them first.

icaddy
08-07-13, 08:20 AM
thanks everyone. Last night I got it off sucessfully:cool2:

What I did is to separate tie rod, upper ball joint, and lower ball joint from spindle, and got wheel hub and spindle off together. Now another stupid question: how to separate wheel hub from spindle? :hmm:

BlueOvalKid
08-07-13, 10:49 AM
thanks everyone. Last night I got it off sucessfully:cool2:

What I did is to separate tie rod, upper ball joint, and lower ball joint from spindle, and got wheel hub and spindle off together. Now another stupid question: how to separate wheel hub from spindle? :hmm:

Once it's unbolted the hub will slide out of the spindle. It may take some persuasion but it will come out. Basically the hub bearing race slides into the bore of the spindle and then is bolted together. Be sure to clean that bore well before reassembly and, since you stripped a couple, make sure you get new bolts and torque them down properly.

icaddy
08-08-13, 02:52 PM
Once it's unbolted the hub will slide out of the spindle. It may take some persuasion but it will come out. Basically the hub bearing race slides into the bore of the spindle and then is bolted together. Be sure to clean that bore well before reassembly and, since you stripped a couple, make sure you get new bolts and torque them down properly.

Thank you again. The hub got rusted so I spayed some WD40 and used a hammer to tap it out successfully. great~~~~~~~