: Removing the cat

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 08:24 PM
I have 126,000 on my 90 Brougham, and sometimes I get the feeling the cat is somewhat plugged. It feels like a little hesitation under acceleration and going up hills, but not too much. It also seems like the exhaust out the pipe is "weak." I'm not assuming my cat is bad, but it could certainly be getting old and plugged. If so, I'll just replace it with a piece of pipe. Any thoughts?

Brian

Big_Blue
03-13-05, 08:39 PM
If your going to replace your cat why not just get a Hi-flow cat in its place? They seem to be way cheaper then the OEM and perform 10 times better. I am not a earth lover but for the loud noise your gonna create with the cat removed and added polution. 100 bucks plus 8 bucks for two clamps will be the best money you spend.

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 09:30 PM
I would replace the cat, but frankly I just don't have the money to do so; a 18" pipe is 3 dollars at Fleet Farm, and I'm not too worried about the extra noise, I have a pretty fine aftermarket muffler that was installed 3 months before I bought her in December.

Brian

Big_Blue
03-13-05, 09:44 PM
I didnt know your money problem from the first post and thought you was upgrading since you assumed your cat was faulty. by all means I would do the same if it was that bad but for what its worth but I rather deal with the problem unless I know for sure its bad until I got the money.

I have a hole in my exhaust on the passenger side thats so annoying when stepping on the pedal and for the cost to get one for just one side is almost the same as buying hedders for my 307. I thought about buying used one for 20 bucks but just my luck it would leak in a short time anyhow. I rather go new then have to do exhust work again. But since I dont have the money to have someone custom fab hedders right now or find a fit from another car to work on mine I just deal with it. I know it wont be like this for another 3 months.

And yes I drive this car every day and I hate the noise but I know how good its gonna feel when its repaired correctly

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I don't know for sure it's the cat, and I can't really know unless I either take it out or do the vacuum gauge test thing, but I had problems just like this in my 85 Parisienne, so I've got the hunch. Of course, if I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have spent $410 at a shop trying to figure out why it wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds.....Oh well, live and learn.

Brian