: Ill 5L50E update

mckellyb
08-05-13, 10:21 AM
I put the new valve body in this weekend...no significant change. I can say the 1-2-3 shifts are firmer, but 4-5 is hosed, and 4 is now starting to slip.

I'm going by a trans shop on the way home to have them diagnose, but I'm also considering a junkyard trans, $500 out of a supposedly 53K mile car, but I'd have to have someone install it. I don't think I can physically do that, anymore. My right arm isn't 100% and I feel about 40 years older than I am due to doing a hobby very, very wrong one time.

Still, $1K is better than $3K.

Adding insult to injury, I'm likely getting madtuner's new ECM/TCM file, today, but I'm limited in how much I can enjoy it.

People are telling me to sell it, but that's tough to do when you just put $2K into it for tires/struts and there's not a thing wrong with it, otherwise.

Ludacrisvp
08-05-13, 11:26 AM
If you go for the junkyard car would it be worth finding the 6 speed and swapping that in?
(No idea how involved it would be)

mckellyb
08-05-13, 12:31 PM
I can only imagine the computer nightmare that may cause. Don't get me wrong, I entertained the idea for about 90 seconds earlier today.

Those are 2007- machines, right?

As it stands, the $500 53K mile tranny, if I go with a one year parts/labor (they'll pay $50/hr to whoever I have working on it) warranty on it for $125, with tax, about $680.

Found a place pretty close to the house who said $800 (well, like $771.83, or something like that), to swap them out...all my parts (fluid, everything, totally fair). The junkyard wants the core for $75, but the valve body is worth three times that on ebay...pass. The yard will also send said trans to the shop here in Fort Worth.

I'll see what the rebuild places say later today.

edit: Erk. The 6-speeds be 'spensive!

Guy.Seminerio
08-05-13, 02:42 PM
Yes 2007+ on the v8 for 6 speed. What's the price difference? And yeah seems like a computer nightmare.

1BadCadSTS
08-05-13, 04:44 PM
Differences in 07+

TCM/ECM and wiring
Speedometer
Shifter and shifter plate

Stick to the 5 speed. We're quicker and weigh slightly less.

6 speed has top end and mpg.

mckellyb
08-06-13, 08:03 AM
The price difference, Guy, is at least $600...more like a grand, though, for comparable boxes.

I'm going to have my '05's rebuilt at a local shop. Two year warranty, they've been around a while, and the grizzled old guys in the shop had the right 'patina'.

While I wanted to go used, there's too much risk, being this is my DD and all.

Thanks 1BadCad, I knew it'd be unpleasant, but that sounds borderline nightmarish to attempt. Top end, I could not care less about, and what might you gain, 1.5 MPG...maybe?

1BadCadSTS
08-06-13, 08:32 AM
The price difference, Guy, is at least $600...more like a grand, though, for comparable boxes.

I'm going to have my '05's rebuilt at a local shop. Two year warranty, they've been around a while, and the grizzled old guys in the shop had the right 'patina'.

While I wanted to go used, there's too much risk, being this is my DD and all.

Thanks 1BadCad, I knew it'd be unpleasant, but that sounds borderline nightmarish to attempt. Top end, I could not care less about, and what might you gain, 1.5 MPG...maybe?

Fathers exact same car (07 sts awd 1sg) averages 18 mpg. My car (and I drive more aggressive and run 93 while he runs 87) nets 14 mpg.

We have nearly the same commute.

mckellyb
08-06-13, 08:47 AM
Yeah, but driving style accounts for a HUGE portion of MPG's.

I consistently manage about 20.5, though not the past few weeks, where it's been mid-teens. Using 4th as top gear will do that, and I shudder to see what the next tank will be, using 3rd much more often.