: Video: Lincoln Armored Town Car

Ralph
03-13-05, 05:42 PM
http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewer.php?segment=5&episode=204&searchStatus=1&keyword=&keywordcall=no&segtitle=Extreme%20Drives

You won't believe the price.

Playdrv4me
03-13-05, 05:58 PM
BMW made a lightly armored version of the 740 and 750iL sedans for awhile, denoted as the "Protection" package. They were pretty pricey but didnt sell too terribly well.

My dad has been in security for decades, and at one point he worked in Armored cars. First at a well known (featured in many news programs and Beyond 2000) company in San Antonio called Executive Armoring Corporation (then owned by Ron Kimball, who was in the news himself for a few things at least), and later in other ventures. Those cars were something else. Me and my dad would take drives to California to drop the cars off (though he wouldnt take me to the "real" drop off points in Baja California for example, hed leave me in the hotel, who knew what kinda crazy stuff went down at those dropoffs) and I remember some of them had additional features like Oil Slick, Shock, Smoke Screen, Ports to shoot from, and a PA systems so the big-wig in the car could talk out to the bandidos. One time we drove an armored Suburban all the way to Guatemala.

By far the most popular cars to armor were the Chevrolet Suburan, Lincoln Town Car, and Mercury Grand Marquis (and in the early days of Armoring, the Jeep Grand Wagoneer). They had to be big, because the armoring would put a HEAVY toll on the vehicle it was placed on in weight alone.

Pretty crazy.

Ralph
03-13-05, 06:03 PM
BMW made a lightly armored version of the 740 and 750iL sedans for awhile, denoted as the "Protection" package. They were pretty pricey but didnt sell too terribly well.

My dad has been in security for decades, and at one point he worked in Armored cars. First at a well known (featured in many news programs and Beyond 2000) company in San Antonio called Executive Armoring Corporation (then owned by Ron Kimball, who was in the news himself for a few things at least), and later in other ventures. Those cars were something else. Me and my dad would take drives to California to drop the cars off (though he wouldnt take me to the "real" drop off points in Baja California for example, hed leave me in the hotel, who knew what kinda crazy stuff went down at those dropoffs) and I remember some of them had additional features like Oil Slick, Shock, Smoke Screen, Ports to shoot from, and a PA systems so the big-wig in the car could talk out to the bandidos.

Pretty crazy.

Interesting. According to Dagmar, BMW still offers the option? I like how Lincoln made the point of stating they try to make them look like any other TC because otherwise people might get curious as to who's in it. I remember the first pics of Bush's armored Deville and judging by the thickness of the front windshield and how it fit to the roof, it was obviously armored.

Playdrv4me
03-13-05, 06:10 PM
Oh, Im sure BMW probably still has the option available. It didnt sell too well, but then it was a pretty limited group of individuals who it was marketed toward.

That WAS always one of the other issues with Armoring, that Im sure has gotten ALOT better over the past few years, which was the fact that the glass was pretty much STRIAGHT FLAT, which made it pretty obvious what it was, and also either completely eliminated or great reduced the ability to roll ANY windows down. It sucked at the drive through, thats for sure :p

I remember he took an Armored RAM to school to pick me up once, everyone went nuts over it, it was pretty cool.

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 08:06 PM
Dontcha just love the scripts these people have to read......

"...to high powered, high velocity assault rifles, like a 9mm sub-machine gun."

almost like

"to a high powered, high velocity automobile, like a Pinto."

:helpless:

Brian

Ralph
03-13-05, 08:55 PM
Dontcha just love the scripts these people have to read......

"...to high powered, high velocity assault rifles, like a 9mm sub-machine gun."

almost like

"to a high powered, high velocity automobile, like a Pinto."

:helpless:

Brian

Ya, I noticed that. I would call a 9mm somewhat higher velocity, say, compared to a .45, but I would not call it high powered. At least she knows that a "SUB" machine gun means one that fires a pistol-cartridge.

Night Wolf
03-13-05, 09:48 PM
I remember eading about that in a mag.... $150k is resonable though

Ford, although did not do anything to the drivetrain, and the extra weight takes it's toll... I know the gears in the rear end were swapped to a little lower ones to help it accelerate better, I think the brakes were upgraded too... but the enigne was left alone... 0-60 was something like 14seconds... but, racing the car wasn't the main goal there....

I think that would be neat with the Cobra engine... armored car that hauled :)

Elvis
03-14-05, 10:18 AM
Dagmar was making me dizzy walking around in a circle like that. I liked the Navigator in the background. It came around twice.

NewCaddyFan
03-14-05, 01:28 PM
Interesting Dagmar

Hey Ralph, don't you think she ranks up there near Nat baby? She's pretty hot and is a bit of a gear head too!;)

Sorry about being redundant. I just read the Boss Hog thread.

Ralph
03-14-05, 03:41 PM
Hey Ralph, don't you think she ranks up there near Nat baby? She's pretty hot and is a bit of a gear head too!;)

Sorry about being redundant. I just read the Boss Hog thread.

OH NO! Heaven forbid I don't turn another thread into one about Natasha. ;) :histeric:

Dagmar's up there, for sure. I am considering replacing Nat but here are my ranking for favs:

1) Supa ( :D you know that's obvious) more pics to come!
2) Nat
3) Dagmar would do (she makes men dizzy regardless Elvis) :yup:
4)Ashley
5)Brooke Burke (thanks Stoney)

I would like to keep it a Canuck chick, but only Supa could be the exception at this point for obvious reasons.

Rick, I never considered the long-term effects of the added weight to the Lincoln driveline. I wonder if they take precautionary steps with the Deville armored cars...