: PS Pump reservoir spitting fluid

carguy16
03-13-05, 06:38 PM
This has done this several times, I look under the hood, and there is some fluid sitting around the cap for the power steering reservoir, then today I open it again and fluid has sprayed on the plastic cover wheere its says SPFI V8, right on top of the engine.

Anyone know what is causing this? I opened the reservoir and got a smelly wiff off the fluid, I didnt stick my nose next to it and it stank. I bought a couple quarts of new fluid and a turkey bayster, and plan on sucking some old fluid out, putting some new fluid it, let is circulate, suck more out and put some new in.

Any other good way of doing it?

DanTheMan
03-13-05, 08:59 PM
This last summer I had the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump dry rot on my and the combination of old fluid and tiny amounts of air bubbles caused the pump to go bad. Luckly the local parts store had a remanufactured one that cost me $90 when it was all said and done. It was kind of a pain but I'd check your hoses first. Unlike most things cadillac the hose actually can be sold by any dealership just as a single piece ($40).

Big_Blue
03-13-05, 09:46 PM
I have seen this happen before on a car and what was found to be the problem is that there is a air bubble in the PS system. Kinda like a hydra lock. It was in one of the corners of the hoses where it bent. It would build up and prevent the fluid from returning to the Rack.It didnt happen all the time but this guy had the problem alot until found out what the problem was. May not be your problem excatly but I have seen it first hand and heard of that problem before.

DanTheMan
03-14-05, 01:18 AM
yeah, you do not want air of any type in your power stearing system. It makes a kind of yawing noise, depletes assist power, and in my case seemed to amplify a minor engine knock I have yet to find. It can't be good for the system. My suggestion is to try flushing the system and see if that takes care of the your problem. Start with the easiest stuff first.

P.S. The service manual suggests raising the front wheels off the ground and turning the stearing wheel lock to lock a bunch of times to force fluid through the system. This will remove most small bubbles. Given the age and condition of your car it won't likly help anything but just in case you see small bubbles after a flush.