: ECT sensor on a 6.0L

gornati
03-13-05, 03:43 PM
Hi all, im having a check engine light li t in my coupe deville 81.
I checked and its code 14, ECT sensor shorted.
I bought a new sensor from advanced auto parts.
BUT i have no idea where this sensor is located on the 6.0L (368 cu. in.) engine, i would really appreciate if you guys help me out and tell me where this sensor is located!!
Thanks

PIctrures welcome!
Thanks

gornati
03-14-05, 02:30 AM
TTT
ok really need helkp on this one.

The Ape Man
03-16-05, 01:15 AM
Nobody else posted so FWIW: My wife cleaned the office and I can't find my old shop manual suppliment! That's what I get for being a slob. By process of elimination the coolant temp sensor on a 368 will not be located in the intake manifold because they don't run antifreeze through it. The only other places where there could be threaded holes for something that size would be in front of the block slightly to the right or left just above the water pump, next to the waterpump sideways or down on the sides of the block below the exhaust manifolds where the large freeze out plugs are. The last area would be hard to see without being underneath the vehicle. If you think that you have found the sensor but are not sure, pull the connector off to see if it will fit your new sensor. It is probably keywayed so as not to fit other sensors or solenoids.

N0DIH
03-16-05, 12:18 PM
I don't know this engine at all, but a stab in the dark. GM puts them in a couple places:

1. Water crossover near thermostat
2. Cyl heads
3. Thermostat housing itself

I personally haven't seen them anywhere farther away than that on any non EFI car. Those are the best places to detect water temp.

Most have a black and a yellow wire attached to it. 2 connector styles. 1 with 2 pins side by side (which all replacements are) and the original is round with one pin in the middle and one surrounding it.

Tom

gornati
03-17-05, 01:10 AM
THAK YOU GUYS!!! i found it! the problem was the terminal was shorted, just used black tape everything is okay now!
Now i just have to solve the coolant leaking, and the caddy is perfect!
Thanks

The Ape Man
03-17-05, 04:31 PM
THAK YOU GUYS!!! i found it! the problem was the terminal was shorted, just used black tape everything is okay now!
Now i just have to solve the coolant leaking, and the caddy is perfect!
Thanks

Where was it??????

gornati
03-18-05, 12:47 AM
on the left side of the water pump!!!