: A little oil never hurt Anyone?

erichthecatt
08-04-13, 07:16 PM
I serviced my 10 STS today, 40,000 miles on the car. Oil, filter, cleaned the K&n, and the cabin air filter. So I thought I'd just look around underneath. At the rear end, the differential has 2 big ol round pieces on the left and right side attached to the cv boots. Passenger side is totally clean. The drivers side has a dirty film of oil on the round piece. Nothing on the boot. no leakage on the ground. Just a light film of oil, on the drivers side. So I assume the seal is very slightly leaking. Would this be a concern? I still have warranty until May 2014. I hesitate taking the car in for something so minor, in fear something else will get screwed up along the way. I've yet to get one door, bumper ding in the 2.5 years ive had the car, and hesitate on leaving my car with anyone. thanks for any opinions!

carter's_sts
08-05-13, 01:38 AM
I know the 05s and 06s had rear diff seal leaks that were common, but not sure about the later ones.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-05-13, 10:39 AM
I serviced my 10 STS today, 40,000 miles on the car. Oil, filter, cleaned the K&n, and the cabin air filter. So I thought I'd just look around underneath. At the rear end, the differential has 2 big ol round pieces on the left and right side attached to the cv boots. Passenger side is totally clean. The drivers side has a dirty film of oil on the round piece. Nothing on the boot. no leakage on the ground. Just a light film of oil, on the drivers side. So I assume the seal is very slightly leaking. Would this be a concern? I still have warranty until May 2014. I hesitate taking the car in for something so minor, in fear something else will get screwed up along the way. I've yet to get one door, bumper ding in the 2.5 years ive had the car, and hesitate on leaving my car with anyone. thanks for any opinions!

Hello erichthecatt,

I am glad your vehicle has been in good condition in the 2.5 years you have owned it. I understand how you are looking for advice from the community on a concern of yours about the dirty film of oil found. However, if you would like my assistance and provide me with with your VIN, I am more than happy to research this on your behalf. I can be contacted via private message! I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care