: Anybody drive the new Chevy Impala?

orconn
08-03-13, 08:09 PM
Just wondering if any members have driven the new Chevy Impala. It has gotten great press, just wondering how it really stacks up.

CadillacLuke24
08-08-13, 02:52 AM
I've heard good. I do believe MC took one for a spin and liked it.

MoistCabbage
08-08-13, 02:58 AM
Nope, I've taken a close look at one, but did not drive it. Pretty nice looking car, some nice touches/details, good size interior, but I can't give any personal opinions on the driving experience.

Aron9000
08-08-13, 05:23 AM
Nope, I've taken a close look at one, but did not drive it. Pretty nice looking car, some nice touches/details, good size interior, but I can't give any personal opinions on the driving experience.

Same here, haven't driven one, but seen one in person. Its a good looking car on the outside, lots of space inside, huge trunk. Interior seems to be pretty high quality, but the dash has this really funky/ugly design about it that turns me off. If it drives/rides anything like a 3.6 V6 Buick LaCrosse I drove a couple years ago, then its IMO a damn good car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-13, 08:15 AM
I'd like to get in to take a closer look at one, but considering how much I hate customers who just stop in to "kick tires", the last thing I want to do on my day off is drop by the local Chevy store to kick tires and waste some sales guy's time.

I would very much like to grab a brochure though. Hmmm...

talismandave
08-08-13, 10:17 AM
Just go in and be straight with the salesman about where you work and you may get a "courtesy" test drive. He may want to check out something in your stock. Always nice to have friends across town.

An offer of a future test drive and a cocktail after, will open a lot of doors in that line of work!:D

HAZZARDJOHN
08-08-13, 01:33 PM
I haven't rented a car in a while, so no...

orconn
08-08-13, 03:30 PM
Just go in and be straight with the salesman about where you work and you may get a "courtesy" test drive. He may want to check out something in your stock. Always nice to have friends across town.

An offer of a future test drive and a cocktail after, will open a lot of doors in that line of work!:D

^^^ Very good advice , Chad. It never hurts to have friends among the competition; never can tell when they may be cohorts or even future employers or employees.

As far as "tire kickers" or lookers who don't look like they may potential buyers, I will repeat the true story that I used to tell those who worked for me.

Back in the mid-1960's a couple came into the Peter Satori Agency (MG, Jaguar, Alfa, Rolls/Bentley) in Pasadena, California wanting to look at the Jaguar E-type. They were dressed in the hippy attire of the day, he with long hair and she with her long hair unfashioned both in what the young salesman considered to be shabbily dressed. Well, the young guy blew off the couple with a haughty rebuff. It turned out that the couple was Joan Baez and Bob Dylan, who were already at the height of their folk music careers. The couple went on to the Hornburg Agency in Beverly Hills where they purchased six XKE's for the friends. This story was told me by my old friend George Pelling who spent many years as Satori's Rolls-Royce/Bentley salesman.

I always remembered this story and it stood me in good stead, as over the years, I dealt with a wide range of people, many of them deceptive in appearance, who let's face it were responsible for much of my success in my career.

As for me and George Pelling, I first met George when I was a young lad of eight years old. George, an English man, was also very nice and patiently stood by and answered my questions as I looked at the various imported cars for sale at the agency. This went on down the years and when I was in the area I would drop in and say high to George. then in my late twenties I almost bought a Bentley from George (I didn't by it because my wife said she wouldn't drive the "thing"), but did by the first of several new Jaguar XJ6 sedans from George over the next twenty years. I am sure George had many other customers that George had seen the potential in in their early years!

talismandave
08-08-13, 03:49 PM
Very true, I had friends in almost all the companies in town after 7 years in the biz. Helped if I was wondering about what to put in a trade if I could find out from them the weakness or problems to look for. Also found out our dealership was sold before the owners told us!

Selling at a GMC truck dealership taught me the second lesson too. The dirtiest looking guy in an old beat up truck was the one who usually had the cash rolled up in his pocket.

CadillacLuke24
08-08-13, 04:57 PM
I've seen a new one as well as a new Silverado at the local GM lot.

I drove neither, but from looks, GM has got their crap together. Build quality is incredible, fit and finish is fantastic, and quality of materials is shocking. It seems like they have made the most of their second chance, and I am glad they took this wake up call seriously.

Johnxlrv
08-15-13, 05:45 AM
Driving a ltz now while in Houston. Fully loaded.

Acceleration and handling seem ok. Controls are typical GM. (Once you have operated a radio and ac in a GM truck, you have operated them all it seems. Car not as quiet as I would have hoped. As road conditions change, the tires sing a different tune, and you really hear it with the windows up. My 12 year beater f150 is more quiet in the cab!

I must say, I hate the seats. Leather and heated...yes...poor support...too hard. Either go to the sport seat side of things or just make them comfortable. Faux wood trim probably overdone. Plastic material on the dash holds scoff marks and is very difficult to remove.

One thing in particular really ticked me off...toll roads mean change...there is a nifty space for that in the door easily reached. But close the door and the shallow depth and curvature of that space launches the coins all over the interior. So I guess Avis is a few quarters richer!

So, I probably would not buy one, but they make good rental cars with decent trunk space and plenty of passenger space

Sorry if this seems negative, but perhaps a bit spoiled by the caddy

orconn
08-15-13, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the report!

greencadillacmatt
08-15-13, 12:31 PM
I don't know how they drive or ride, but I sat in one while my girlfriend checked out a new Sonic on the local dealer's lot. I thought the seats were VERY comfy, and I discovered that if I put the driver's seat all the way back I couldn't reach the pedals. That has never in my life happened to me before. (I'm about 6'5" tall.) I looked in the back seat and there was STILL some decent legroom behind the completely reversed seat! It was astounding, to say the least. The looks have completely won me over as well. In black with the bigger chrome wheels the are stunning. :cool2: If I'm ever in the market for a four door, this will be near the top of the list for a test drive.

ryannel2003
08-15-13, 02:10 PM
If they drive like my grandfathers departed '13 LaCrosse then I know its a good car. I sat in one at the local dealership and loved it. Interior looked of high quality and I love the styling. It looks to be a great car.

thebigjimsho
08-15-13, 04:16 PM
Yeah, I saw some great lease rates on a non-LTZ. Intrigued.

orconn
08-15-13, 04:32 PM
Jim, I would be especially interested in the your opinion.

Hoosier Daddy
08-15-13, 05:08 PM
Do I have to remind people to NOT say nice things about the Impala where MGay ustomercay ervicesay can read it? We don't want to encourage car makers to make FWD cars.

orconn
08-15-13, 05:20 PM
FWD has made my passage through icy, snowy conditions more comfortable and less perilous. I have had long experience with both FWD and RWD cars under about all types of driving experiences. And while experience and skill can maximize the benefits and minimize the detrimental characteristics of each form of traction, I find the benefits of FWD outweigh the drawbacks for most normal driving experiences. RWD is preferable for performance driving on a track or public "Twisties" at speed. But my track driving is a thing of the past, but having to deal with slippery conditions is still a fact of daily life!

Hoosier Daddy
08-15-13, 05:42 PM
FWD has made my passage through icy, snowy conditions more comfortable and less perilous. I have had long experience with both FWD and RWD cars under about all types of driving experiences. And while experience and skill can maximize the benefits and minimize the detrimental characteristics of each form of traction, I find the benefits of FWD outweigh the drawbacks for most normal driving experiences. RWD is preferable for performance driving on a track or public "Twisties" at speed. But my track driving is a thing of the past, but having to deal with slippery conditions is still a fact of daily life!
No, those conditions call for AWD. FWD is for someone who can't or won't pay for AWD and thereby further pollutes the automotive gene pool by encouraging manufacturers to make FWD. ;)

Show of hands everyone. Who thinks the FWD Caddies were/are the pinnacle of the marque?

CTSCHICK
08-15-13, 05:56 PM
Everybody else can offer FWD and have no troubles selling it so why should Gm or Cadillac be the exception

Me personally I would take RWD/FWD over any of their AWD offerings their AWD system isn't impressive at all compared to other Brands.

orconn
08-15-13, 07:33 PM
We already have had a show of hands, it kind of split down the middle. But those who lived in areas where they experienced annual ice and snow definitely came out for FWD.

If I lived in the sunny area, dry (except for the Monsoon that causes the city of Phoenix to be bisected) part of Arizona I might also feel that way. Although I do appreciate the FWD cars to cross winds while on the Interstates.

I just can't warm up to Cadillac being a track performance car, but hay, whatever turns you on!

ryannel2003
08-15-13, 08:36 PM
No, those conditions call for AWD. FWD is for someone who can't or won't pay for AWD and thereby further pollutes the automotive gene pool by encouraging manufacturers to make FWD. ;)

Show of hands everyone. Who thinks the FWD Caddies were/are the pinnacle of the marque?

'67 Eldorado, '80 Seville, '92 Seville, '98 Seville, '92 Eldorado, '79 Eldorado... all fabulous cars. All FWD.

Just sayin.

ben.gators
08-15-13, 08:43 PM
Is this going to be one of those disputes on FWD vs. RWD? Nice, please proceed! :pop2:

Just a comment: a good set of tires can make a huge difference! Example: I used to own a FWD Cadillac. I never drove it in snow, but drove it in the rain a lot. And I can tell you that during hard brakes, or hard accelerations, ABS or traction control used to kick in. Now I have a RWD Cadillac and have been driving in the same condition, but so far never lost the traction! Sure enough FWD can provide a higher amount of traction compared to RWD, but tire is another very important parameter that can compensate the shortcomings of RWD cars! I think my tires on ATS are better than the tires on Seville STS, and that is why my RWD car has better traction!

orconn
08-15-13, 08:51 PM
^^^ Your ATS probably has better weight distribution than the Seville too!

ben.gators
08-15-13, 10:49 PM
If I am not mistaken, FWD cars tend to have a better traction on snow because of the heavy front end and more load on the front driving wheels, right?

Hoosier Daddy
08-15-13, 11:27 PM
'67 Eldorado, '80 Seville, '92 Seville, '98 Seville, '92 Eldorado, '79 Eldorado... all fabulous cars. All FWD.

Just sayin.
All great cars and I've owned several FWD ('79 Toronado, '86 Sable wagon, '89 CRX Si, '93 Infiniti G20, '02 SVT Focus).

But the question was basically if you could have any Cadillac ever made (in new condition), what percent of people would chose one of the FWDs and what percent would choose one of the RWDs as the best ever?

I never even said I didn't like FWDs, including the Impala. What I said was: we don't want to encourage more effort and production of FWD models within all brands. They already outnumber RWDs by a huge margin. The FWD lovers have plenty to choose from.

But now I'm even more interested in how many people actually thought I believed Customer Service or orconn couldn't understand pig Latin?

orconn
08-15-13, 11:46 PM
If I am not mistaken, FWD cars tend to have a better traction on snow because of the heavy front end and more load on the front driving wheels, right?

Yes, this is what we are told.

ryannel2003
08-16-13, 09:16 AM
All great cars and I've owned several FWD ('79 Toronado, '86 Sable wagon, '89 CRX Si, '93 Infiniti G20, '02 SVT Focus).

But the question was basically if you could have any Cadillac ever made (in new condition), what percent of people would chose one of the FWDs and what percent would choose one of the RWDs as the best ever?

I never even said I didn't like FWDs, including the Impala. What I said was: we don't want to encourage more effort and production of FWD models within all brands. They already outnumber RWDs by a huge margin. The FWD lovers have plenty to choose from.

But now I'm even more interested in how many people actually thought I believed Customer Service or orconn couldn't understand pig Latin?

I would choose an '03 Seville STS over any Cadillac ever made. I know a few people who would as well.

ben.gators
08-16-13, 09:44 AM
I would choose an '03 Seville STS over any Cadillac ever made. I know a few people who would as well.

I still secretly love my Seville STS, even maybe more than my brand new ATS! The ATS is a great car, and it is a better car than the Seville in many different aspects, no argue on that, but Seville STS is a very different car and has a very special feel to it! I am pretty sure that someday I will buy another Seville STS, but not as my DD!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-16-13, 11:40 AM
I've been trying like hell to get the brochure for the 14 Impala, but every dealer is out of them. Maybe I'll swing on over to the Chevy store 5 minutes away from my house today and snag one.

Hoosier Daddy
08-16-13, 12:09 PM
I've been trying like hell to get the brochure for the 14 Impala, but every dealer is out of them. Maybe I'll swing on over to the Chevy store 5 minutes away from my house today and snag one.
I think you know but they might not really be out of them. If a brochure is "too" popular, they keep them off the racks and give them out only when asked based on if they think you might actually buy one. I've even been given a brochure and watched salespeople tell two other walk ins they don't have any. I bought a Mustang via email. When I arrived to take delivery, I asked the first salesperson I saw for a brochure and was told they didn't have any. I walked into the internet sales office to do the paperwork and asked again. They gave me one and another to give to a friend.

talismandave
08-16-13, 12:22 PM
Wait, that would mean a salesman lied though. I doubt that.

Honest mistake maybe, just didn't know they came in?

bigm57ict
08-16-13, 02:18 PM

When put that way, yes the car I would choose is RWD. However, it wouldn't be my choice because it is RWD.
I prefer the older generations of Cadillac. They are larger, more comfortable, and have a luxury car style that no one makes today. And, yes, they happen to be RWD.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-16-13, 03:12 PM
Wait, that would mean a salesman lied though. I doubt that.

Honest mistake maybe, just didn't know they came in?

I've been to three Chevy dealers over the summer, trying to find a 14 Impala brochure. Nobody has them. Chevy was late to put them up on their website for a digital download as well. I think they are behind in print....it's not unheard of. Honda had the same thing with the 2013 CR-V brochure, every dealer was out of them!

I've got a few spare minutes, so I'll head over to the local Chevy dealer this afternoon and try to snag one again.

orconn
08-16-13, 04:52 PM
Chad, I think you might have better luck just going on line to Chevrolet's official web site. If they can't send you a 2014 Impala brochure their management should be put out to pasture ASAP! (As an after thought and remembering GM's past competence marketing their cars it might be a problem, But ity would be worth a try!)

thebigjimsho
08-16-13, 06:39 PM

Better traction? No. Too much weight on the drive wheels are great to start, worst scenario once moving. Lose control in a FWD car and you're done...

Hoosier Daddy
08-16-13, 06:58 PM
Better traction? No. Too much weight on the drive wheels are great to start, worst scenario once moving. Lose control in a FWD car and you're done...
Yep, high polar moments and huge front weight bias. FWD is so common because its cheaper to build, not because its safer. Naturally FWD car makers don't brag about that and spin other benefits without mentioning the downsides.

Daimler and BMW make very few FWD cars. Its not because there isn't any snow or rain in Germany or they like having their customers killed off in dangerous RWD cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-16-13, 07:08 PM
You go ahead and tell me what's easier to move through treacherous snowstorms, front or rear wheel drive. What's easier to get moving on a slippery, steep embankment? What will get you going easier through a 12" snow drift?

orconn
08-16-13, 07:42 PM
I had never heard that front wheel cars were easier and cheaper to build, actually I had heard just the opposite. The real reason for the switch over to front wheel drive was the increase interior space that this configuration allowed from the same wheel base dimensions.

I am well aware of the advantages of rear wheel drive under certain conditions and the disadvantages that come with this configuration. However, despite what they tell you in their ads, the real reason that Mercedes sticks with rwd is that internationally Daimler markets cars with a wide variation of engine displacements and cylinder numbers. It is much easier to accommodate this wide range of different engine sizes and types when using a rear wheel drive configuration than a fwd configuration. Same thing goes for BMW.

Both Audi/Volkswagen and Alfa Romeo have proven, with their sedan race cars, that front wheel drive can be made to handle almost as well, witness there championships on the European closed road and rally circuits.

Having driven both configurations, both with and without all the technological handling and traction aids employed on cars today, the only advantage I can see for which driven wheels are present are how the car copes with snow and ice. To sum up my experience, my '95 Seville was much better under these conditions and my 2002 Mercedes (with every techno device available at the time) sucked! The Merc was better than the 1957 Olds 98 Holiday or the 1962 Cadillac convertible with which I navigate upper Midwest Winters and better that the Nissan Cedric 2800 Speciale that I fought Hokkaido, Japan 8 month winters with (all rwd), but not nearly as good as my '95 Seville STS fwd)!

Hoosier Daddy
08-16-13, 07:55 PM
You go ahead and tell me what's easier to move through treacherous snowstorms, front or rear wheel drive. What's easier to get moving on a slippery, steep embankment? What will get you going easier through a 12" snow drift?
M U S T S U P R E S S D O N R I C K L E S D E B A T E S C H O O L T R A I N I N G!

Can't do it..... Okay I'll accept your argument that FWD is for the lazy.

Actually, how can we best transfer this discussion to where its not OT? I apologize for starting that here.

----------

I had never heard that front wheel cars were easier and cheaper to build, actually I had heard just the opposite. The real reason for the switch over to front wheel drive was the increase interior space that this configuration allowed from the same wheel base dimensions.
I'm sorry, but that's wrong. It's cheaper to build a complete drive train outside the car body and not have to build in drive shaft tunnels and install driveshafts on the assembly line. And having a bigger car (interior) from the same amount of metal IS a cost saving measure in itself. You repeating that as what you heard is the exact kind of spin I was refering to.

orconn
08-16-13, 08:15 PM
^^^ "Hm, "And having a bigger car (interior) from the same amount of metal IS a cost saving measure in itself" is true and one of the advantages of front wheel drive design, however, since both drive trains are assembled out side the car I would have to say, and will bet, that which ever way the assembly line is et up to accommodate either drive train the time and motion would be about the same and the incremental savings negligible. However, the ease and adaptability, when using a wide range of power plants, makes the rwd configuration more desirable when this is taken into account.

We Americans tend to think of Mercedes-Benz as solely a "luxury" car maker, when in fact they are really the taxi cab builders who gussy up their meat and potatoes cars for the American market.

Hoosier Daddy
08-16-13, 08:31 PM
both drive trains are assembled out side the car
No, the RWD differential and driveshaft are installed on the assembly line. They are NOT assembled out side the car and installed on the line as a single unit with the engine and transmission.

thebigjimsho
08-16-13, 08:45 PM

What will get you out of a slide easier? What will keep you better balanced to not slide in the first place?

If I just liked RWD better and that's it, I'd say it. But, with a skilled driver behind the wheel, RWD is better. Period. If you're a dolt, drive FWD. But, once you've overcooked a turn in FWD, have fun waiting for traction. In RWD, I'd be sawing the wheel and throttle and getting it back in line...

----------

BTW, if you want the ultimate winter car, get an AWD and SHADDUP!

ryannel2003
08-16-13, 08:47 PM
I really buy my cars based on what I actually like. FWD/RWD/AWD was never a first consideration for me. No snow here so that isn't a problem.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-16-13, 09:52 PM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages in snow, but for simplicity and ease in the worst of weather, gotta go with FWD.

CTSCHICK
08-17-13, 12:06 AM
Daimler and BMW make very few FWD cars.

Both companies have more new models coming out soon that will be FWD

thebigjimsho
08-17-13, 10:56 AM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages in snow, but for simplicity and ease in the worst of weather, gotta go with FWD.

Again, if you aren't an experienced driver. I got into my V w/ snow tires with just as much confidence than if I were to get in an Impala with snows...

Johnxlrv
08-17-13, 11:28 AM
I don't know how they drive or ride, but I sat in one while my girlfriend checked out a new Sonic on the local dealer's lot. I thought the seats were VERY comfy, and I discovered that if I put the driver's seat all the way back I couldn't reach the pedals. That has never in my life happened to me before. (I'm about 6'5" tall.) I looked in the back seat and there was STILL some decent legroom behind the completely reversed seat! It was astounding, to say the least. The looks have completely won me over as well. In black with the bigger chrome wheels the are stunning. :cool2: If I'm ever in the market for a four door, this will be near the top of the list for a test drive.

Agreed, the seats go back a ways...with my 180lb frame, I did not get the side and back support and adjustments I wanted.

Of course, white is a boring color...but the right one in tx lol.

And for a certain hearse lover, you probably can fit about three or more bodies in the trunk...