: keeping throttle open while cleaning

Rob Benham
03-12-05, 03:07 AM
Cleaning the throttle (SLS in particular):

The tubular strut that you have to remove to get the air intake system out of the way, is just the right length to put between the seat and the gas pedal. Motor the seat forward till the pedal is right down.

patbecky
03-04-10, 01:36 PM
I used a length of wire coat hanger hooked through the throttle linkage and around the bracket above it.

mitchjagger
03-09-10, 05:52 PM
I found that a boat anchor works very well....

Dadillac
03-09-10, 08:55 PM
I use a piece of wood. I put it in the throttle body (above or below the blade) and clean the open section. I then switch its location and clean the dirty side. Easiest thing I came up with

Don

Skiller.
03-18-10, 10:43 PM
I think I will try that Don. Is there a risk of flooding the engine if you keep the accelerator pressed down?

jcresciSTS
03-19-10, 02:31 AM
I got around to getting this done last night...I left my foot on the peddle and my friend cleaned it, when I went to start the car it didn't want to go at first then I tried again and it fired up and hasn't given me a problem since * knock on wood*

One thing, one screw ended up dropping and we mysteriously could not locate it...the other two have the TB on there tight and we found a screw that fit ok just be sure and we put it at the very top for easy replacement...I know its a 1/4" but what length or specific screw should I look for, I'm going to try for one at Lowes, rather be safe than sorry.

Dadillac
03-19-10, 08:27 PM
I think I will try that Don. Is there a risk of flooding the engine if you keep the accelerator pressed down?

Not at all. The engine will need to be off while doing the cleaning so no fuel will be used.

Don

tateos
03-19-10, 09:56 PM

No - the engine is off and no fuel passes through this area anyway - the fuel enters the intake stream further along, just before the intake valves. I suppose it would be a good idea to avoid EXCESSIVE amounts of throttle body cleaner, like don't just spray the whole can in there; try to sop up whatever you can with towels or rags, but don't let them fall in the manifold, or you'll have to unbolt the throttle body from the manifold!

Dadillac
03-20-10, 08:48 PM
When I clean my throttle body I block the blade with the wood. Spray the cleaner in the throttle body and scrub with a toothbrush. I then spray more cleaner to wash away the gunk. Wipe liberally with a clean rag and switch the wood. Do the same and then start the engine. Never have had an issue

Don