: Cold air intake for 2012 CTS coupe?

jprestridge
08-03-13, 03:22 AM
Has anyone come across a 2012 compatible CAI? Most seem to fit up to 2011.

KLX
08-23-13, 11:04 PM
I have a 2013 and word is the CTS v's and the 3.6 cts's have the same intake so how would it benefit our cars to put on a cai? Other than looks and sound? Maybe a HP or 2?

D VADER
08-24-13, 09:22 AM
I would like to install a Volant CAI but none is listed for the 2013 CTS. I had one on my 2008 CTS and loved it. Seems that both are 3.6 engines so what's the problem?

arw1510
08-24-13, 09:30 AM
I would like to install a Volant CAI but none is listed for the 2013 CTS. I had one on my 2008 CTS and loved it. Seems that both are 3.6 engines so what's the problem?

The design of the stock intake tube has changed. The maf sensor is molded in to the current tube. On most cars, the maf sensor has its own little 1 or two inch section of tube that you unbolt and unclamp from the box and tub and reuse on the CAI. So it just seems like no company has really put in the r&d and time to make one that accommodates the new designed maf sensor.

Open your hood and check, but I think that's why. On our models the box and tube are one piece

D VADER
08-24-13, 12:27 PM
The design of the stock intake tube has changed. The maf sensor is molded in to the current tube. On most cars, the maf sensor has its own little 1 or two inch section of tube that you unbolt and unclamp from the box and tub and reuse on the CAI. So it just seems like no company has really put in the r&d and time to make one that accommodates the new designed maf sensor.

Open your hood and check, but I think that's why. On our models the box and tube are one piece

Maybe the answer is remove the silence baffle and add a K&N Performance filter?

arw1510
08-24-13, 03:54 PM
Maybe the answer is remove the silence baffle and add a K&N Performance filter?

Well what are you trying to gain from a CAI? Its only going to be better than the stock one when you are at WOT. Stock filter and stock box will flow more than enough air that the engine needs under normal operating conditions. If you want the different sound then sure, take off the resonator and see if you like it. Performance wise there won't be any difference except at WOT. Most people 'think' that there is gains from installing one, but they just think that because you're going to end up putting your foot down a little harder to hear the better sound that we all love.

wadesemaj
08-25-13, 12:57 AM

The difference is that they went from the 3.6 llt to the 3.6 lfx engine. They are two totally different engine s

arw1510
08-25-13, 10:14 AM
The difference is that they went from the 3.6 llt to the 3.6 lfx engine. They are two totally different engine s

No. This is true but is not why the cai doesn't work. Its because of the design change of the stock intake like I explained above. But the design change did happen to occur with the usage of the lfx engine. Remember that in 08 they had a direct injected engine also. What changed with the lfx was mainly the use of a plastic intake manifold instead of an aluminum one to save weight and heat transfer.

gohawks63
08-25-13, 02:50 PM
No. This is true but is not why the cai doesn't work. Its because of the design change of the stock intake like I explained above. But the design change did happen to occur with the usage of the lfx engine. Remember that in 08 they had a direct injected engine also. What changed with the lfx was mainly the use of a plastic intake manifold instead of an aluminum one to save weight and heat transfer.

More than that. There was a redesigned front engine cover and then exhaust manifolds are integrated into the heads.

CTSCHICK
08-25-13, 03:24 PM

The main fitment issue with the Volant is going to be the inclosed molded air box if the 12 & 13's are anything like the 2010 & 2011's that have the cars PCM behind the drivers side headlight and underneath the factory air box.
The Volant box is to big and sits on the pcm and that prevents it from mounting where it has to be mounted.

The air box on my Volant 08-09 Kit had to be cut & notched on the bottom for clearance because of that and is currently waiting for my b.f.'s friend to plastic weld it so that the PCM is not inside of the bottom of the box.

So 3 entirely different Volant kits would be needed for the 2nd gen CTS 08-09, 10-11 & 12-13

Nitro LX
08-26-13, 09:04 AM
So has anyone found a CAI for the 13 coupe? ive been looking and can only find it for the V.

C "T" ess
08-26-13, 12:55 PM
I went with the removal of the silencer and have had a K&N filter since the car was new. The change has given me the sound I enjoy and matches what you would expect from such a fast looking car. I did this solely for the sound ,as the ecm will always adjust to the changes in air flow and pretty much negate what ever slight increase you might think you feel.

Nitro LX
08-26-13, 07:18 PM
I went with the removal of the silencer and have had a K&N filter since the car was new. The change has given me the sound I enjoy and matches what you would expect from such a fast looking car. I did this solely for the sound ,as the ecm will always adjust to the changes in air flow and pretty much negate what ever slight increase you might think you feel.

Sounds like a good idea. Ill try it for now. Hope its not to hard.. kinda new at this ha. i just want it to sound badass right now haha till i can invest some more into it.

Ramv
08-27-13, 10:56 PM
ECM won't restrict air, just give fuel to match if there is a change in restrictions In other words if the intake was a restriction the ECM would help make more power with the removal of restrictions unlike a carb which would be leaned out.

gohawks63
08-27-13, 11:56 PM
ECM won't restrict air, just give fuel to match if there is a change in restrictions In other words if the intake was a restriction the ECM would help make more power with the removal of restrictions unlike a carb which would be leaned out.

How can it physically remove restrictions? The ECM will adjust the air/fuel ratio depending on air temp, engine temp and power needs

CTSCHICK
08-28-13, 12:40 AM
How can it physically remove restrictions? The ECM will adjust the air/fuel ratio depending on air temp, engine temp and power needs

He is saying that the cars PCM will make the necessary changes to benefit from the change or removal of the intake restriction.

gohawks63
08-28-13, 01:10 AM
He is saying that the cars PCM will make the necessary changes to benefit from the change or removal of the intake restriction.

That makes more sense, but will it really if you don't install a cold air intake that requires a tune to exploit the increased air volume? I know we discussed this often on the Mustang forums. The stock programming and Mass Airflow sensor is expecting a certain air volume to flow through the intake. More airflow will not necessarily improve performance, but less (I.e. from a dirty filter) will result in the PCM instructing the throttle body to adjust the air/fuel mixture to compensate.

I know I installed a K&N CAI on my Mustang. The K&N units do not require a tune so with the CAI alone the HP improvements are really pretty negligible. Mostly a few HP, hardly something you would notice. Only when you add a tune do you see or should I say feel a difference.

CTSCHICK
08-28-13, 01:56 AM
It is no different than GM using the same exact programming for the same car sold in different climates and elevations because the PCM is able to compensate for the better or for the worse.

The Maf tables are not restricted it can can read an increase in air flow just as it can read a decrease in airflow as in with your dirty filter example.

jprestridge
08-28-13, 08:33 PM
When you say you removed the silencer, are you referring the the enclosure covering the drop in K&N filter? Thanks, JP

arw1510
08-28-13, 10:57 PM
When you say you removed the silencer, are you referring the the enclosure covering the drop in K&N filter? Thanks, JP

No. There's a resonator that sits horizontal to the ground and kind of looks like a snorkel. There is probably pics in the " how to intake silencer removal" thread

Ramv
08-28-13, 11:40 PM
Early Mustangs used speed density which doesn't respond well to this type of mods. Later vehicles use MAF and can handle big changes, up to the point that they exceed the fuel injectors capability. A tune shouldn't be required unless major mods such as cams are installed. However a tune can often be beneficial on its own (or with small mods) as the tuning of stock vehicles tend to be conservative to avoid detonation on bad fuel or in extreme hot weather/traffic etc.

If the stock system is a major restriction to power, a CAI can help, or if it truly pulls in cold air will keep power up during high under temperature conditions. For example my 8.1/auto will get intake temperatures to almost 200 F after thirty minutes of WOT in first gear. Power noticeably decreases due to reduced oxygen due to the lower density of air. The stock tuning also decreases timing (reducing power) as the intake temps increase.

gohawks63
08-29-13, 12:27 AM
Early Mustangs used speed density which doesn't respond well to this type of mods. Later vehicles use MAF and can handle big changes, up to the point that they exceed the fuel injectors capability. A tune shouldn't be required unless major mods such as cams are installed. However a tune can often be beneficial on its own (or with small mods) as the tuning of stock vehicles tend to be conservative to avoid detonation on bad fuel or in extreme hot weather/traffic etc.

If the stock system is a major restriction to power, a CAI can help, or if it truly pulls in cold air will keep power up during high under temperature conditions. For example my 8.1/auto will get intake temperatures to almost 200 F after thirty minutes of WOT in first gear. Power noticeably decreases due to reduced oxygen due to the lower density of air. The stock tuning also decreases timing (reducing power) as the intake temps increase.

Ours is a 2006. The tune definitely improved the performance.