: Tiptronic - What's the big deal?!

BeelzeBob
02-07-03, 10:02 PM
Okay. Simple question. Why is the tiptronic better than just shifting up or down in a regular automatic? There is nothing better about it. But maybe your imagination can come up with something that fools some of us for a few minutes...

Brett
02-07-03, 10:08 PM
theres nothing inherently better about the tiptronic over just shifting your auto yourself, except that the tip was designed to do it and most other autos are not. the tip also wont override what your doing like an autostick from chrysler. Overall the tip is just gonna shift faster. But your basically right. thats why i feel the smg is superior, but thats another thread.

Dead Sled
02-07-03, 10:10 PM
Most Autos don't have manual control unless you get a shift kit. Its designed so you cant drop it down into first at 80, but now that I think about it tiptronic style transmissions wont let you do that either? who knows

BeelzeBob
02-08-03, 08:53 AM
Thanks.. So they're designed to shift differently.. Okay, so maybe that's one good point.. I just find it odd when my girlfriend decides to go into tiptronic mode.. I'm thinking to myself, "Why don't you just shift it in regular mode?"...

elwesso
02-08-03, 10:25 AM
Shifting through the gears on an automatic doesnt really do anything, because the tranny will shift. I have found that when i start in 1st, it actually shifts sooner than if i would have let stay in drive. As far as tiptronic, im sure it is more dynamic, and it wont shift unless you at red line for a while. Other than that, from what ive heard, it is basically like automatic where you can manually shift through the gears.

Brett
02-08-03, 10:33 AM
the more i think about it the only use i can really see is for something like an autocross application...being able to control downshifts and hold gears thru turns without the auto hunting for gears might be worthwhile...but i think in a straight line there is probably no benefit. maybe there are some SCCA guys on here that could confirm this

Brett
02-08-03, 10:54 AM
although you could do the same thing with your regular shifter albeit with slower shifts...well i guess the secret is out, there is absolutely no use for the tip...hopefully Porsche isnt on this forum or im sure the German Secret Police are going to be busting down my door

Devil_concours
02-08-03, 12:08 PM
actually most tips are five speed autos and if you're able to have more control over the gear change it will be more beneficial over regular auto since skips gears when it shifts (1-3,2-4)

elwesso
02-08-03, 12:38 PM
I didnt know that an auto skips.....

Amazing what you can learn in a days time......

BeelzeBob
02-08-03, 02:09 PM
Skips? All I know is most of my cars seemed pretty controllable when it came to shifting.. If I dropped it into 2nd, it stayed there until I upshifted.. The automatic only 'searches' if it's in drive or overdrive.. With the Caddy's, I hear you should keep it in 2nd when looking for a good take-off.. Other than that, I've always started in first and moved up a gear when needed. I've never had a car with a manual transmission...

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
I didnt know that an auto skips.....

Amazing what you can learn in a days time......

GM had a wonderfull thing called CAGS :rolleyes: Computer aided gear selector on the 'vettes and F-bodies and trucks too I think

it would usualy skip 3rd gear and just jump into 4th, yeah it isn't bad when you puttin around town but if you want to go boogie its annoying when it misses a gear and bogs down a lil bit then down shits gains speed then up shifts again.

elwesso
02-09-03, 11:07 AM
I was reading the owners manaul, and it said that 1st gear shouldnt be used for speeds over 30mph, and 2nd shouldnt be used for more than 20mins or over speeds of 55mph. If this is not followed, according to the manual "serious transmission damage can occur).

So thats why it seems that my 4spd only has like 2 speeds.

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 05:06 PM
most autos wont let you down shift untill the speeds are reduced like that either co you could drop it into first gear at highway speeds but you will coast down to about 30-35 before it really shifts into first. Please dont't try this though Cruising around in second gear causes high tranny temps and makes the engine run at higher RPMs for no good reason

Dead Sled
02-09-03, 05:11 PM
most street auto trannys are set up so they shift very slowly at low RPS. My caddy hits second gear about 7 MPH then hits 3rd about 20 if you're driving like an old man and not much different if you put it to the floor. Much of trans wear is caused by heat. much of that heat is from the Torque Convertor slipping and when the transmission is between shifts and is in 2 gears at once. Shift kits improve the quickness and firmness of shifts and thereby reduce heat

Elvis
02-09-03, 09:24 PM
I have what they call "sport-shift" on my Prelude. It's fun to play with, but it really doesn't give you that many advantages.

Launching is weak no matter what I do because there is a rev-limiter if your foot is on the brake (2000 rpms). I can force a redline on every shift, which is kinda nice for a 4-cyl. engine that needs to rev high.

But on a V8 I can't see that there would be that many advantages. The GM tranny is better tuned and designed to get you the most out of your N*.

BeelzeBob
02-10-03, 09:24 AM
On the f-bodies, the automatics shift from 1st to I think 4th - UNLESS you're hitting the gas hard. Then, you shift normally... This was done to save gas during normal driving conditions... Otherwise, there would have been a gas-guzzler tax...