: Door handle replacement

Ewest
08-02-13, 09:16 PM
I removed the old drivers door handle that was peeling on my 2005 sts but it was riveted on. The new handle looks like i have to use screws to install it. Has anyone done this?

curtc
08-02-13, 10:26 PM
The factory repair calls for drilling out the rivet and fastening the replacement with a screw...You got it right!

I used aluminum metal repair tape to cover my peeling seam.

Ewest
08-03-13, 09:41 AM
Mine was way to bad for tape so I got a new one. It would have been nice if GM would have included the screws with the handle.

Ludacrisvp
08-03-13, 11:58 AM
Interior - Chrome Peeling Off Of Interior Door Handles

TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 06-08-110-004B
Date: March 04, 2009

Subject: Chrome Finish Peeling Off Inside Door Handles (Replace Handles)
Models: 2005-2009 Cadillac STS

Condition: Some customers may comment on the chrome finish coming off the inside door handles.
Correction:
1. Remove the door trim panel.
2. Drill the tops off the two heat stakes with an 8 mm (1/4 in) drill and remove the handle from the door trim panel.
3. Install the new door handle with new M6.5 self-cutting speed nuts obtained locally.
4. Reinstall the door trim panel.

Ewest
08-03-13, 09:43 PM
I didn't know that was how to attach it so I just used screws and flat washers. It worked

ddalder
08-04-13, 04:57 PM
When I replaced mine, I purchased the nuts GM specified in the parts listing. These were a waste of time because they were far too small to thread onto the post (even though they came packaged with the correct/specified part number on the bag). I ended up melting down the plastic posts in the same manner as the handle originally installed on the door panel.

Ewest
08-04-13, 10:16 PM
Great job. What I did was cut off some of the posts with a Dremel tool because they were too long. Then I used large washers and screws. Oh well it probably is better like you said than what G M suggested.