: Door handle replacement

08-02-13, 09:16 PM
I removed the old drivers door handle that was peeling on my 2005 sts but it was riveted on. The new handle looks like i have to use screws to install it. Has anyone done this?

08-02-13, 10:26 PM
The factory repair calls for drilling out the rivet and fastening the replacement with a screw...You got it right!

I used aluminum metal repair tape to cover my peeling seam.

08-03-13, 09:41 AM
Mine was way to bad for tape so I got a new one. It would have been nice if GM would have included the screws with the handle.

08-03-13, 11:58 AM
Interior - Chrome Peeling Off Of Interior Door Handles

Bulletin No.: 06-08-110-004B
Date: March 04, 2009

Subject: Chrome Finish Peeling Off Inside Door Handles (Replace Handles)
Models: 2005-2009 Cadillac STS

Condition: Some customers may comment on the chrome finish coming off the inside door handles.
1. Remove the door trim panel.
2. Drill the tops off the two heat stakes with an 8 mm (1/4 in) drill and remove the handle from the door trim panel.
3. Install the new door handle with new M6.5 self-cutting speed nuts obtained locally.
4. Reinstall the door trim panel.

08-03-13, 09:43 PM
I didn't know that was how to attach it so I just used screws and flat washers. It worked

08-04-13, 04:57 PM
When I replaced mine, I purchased the nuts GM specified in the parts listing. These were a waste of time because they were far too small to thread onto the post (even though they came packaged with the correct/specified part number on the bag). I ended up melting down the plastic posts in the same manner as the handle originally installed on the door panel.

08-04-13, 10:16 PM
Great job. What I did was cut off some of the posts with a Dremel tool because they were too long. Then I used large washers and screws. Oh well it probably is better like you said than what G M suggested.