: manual ride level

Adumb
03-11-05, 06:37 PM
is there an easy way of making the air rides on my 83 fleetwood manual, instead of automatic?

Big_Blue
03-11-05, 07:44 PM
your trying to override the auto leveling ?

well you can either figget with the sensor in the rear of the vehicle to make sure it keeps your ride higher or unplug the compressor under the hood right infront of the driver side part of the windshield for a low rear affect.

Or just get stronger rear shocks that are not using air to raise the rear but keep it at the right height at all times

87cadman
03-11-05, 07:47 PM
my 87 cad is setup for manual. it has to be because the damn relay went out and it costs about 400 dollars for a new one. i'm not sure how to do it really. it was done for me by a mech. who is a friend of the family. i'll ask him this weekend and get back with you.

Adumb
03-12-05, 12:47 AM
thanks, cadman, what i was thinking maybe would be the way to do this, tell me if im wrong, is remove the computer that that automatically sets the ride and replace it with one that i can set with a switch of some kind. idk, that seems like the most logical way to me.

HotRodSaint
03-12-05, 10:38 AM
There should be a level switch at the rear.

Use those wires to wire it to a 3 way switch (Up/Down/Off).

Adumb
03-12-05, 11:00 AM
There should be a level switch at the rear.

Use those wires to wire it to a 3 way switch (Up/Down/Off).

so there is a switch there and i take that one out and put in the 3 way. up/down/off. so up would obviously make it go up, down would obviously make it go down and would off stop the rides where they are when i switch it to off?

HotRodSaint
03-12-05, 12:08 PM
so up would obviously make it go up, down would obviously make it go down and would off stop the rides where they are when i switch it to off?

That's my theory at least. The level control arm is just a switch, so it should work.

I haven't done it yet to my car, as I removed the air-shocks.

I was thinking about adding some helper air-bags and using the on-board compressor with a 3-way switch to control them.

N0DIH
03-12-05, 12:38 PM
The 76 Olds had a manual level ride control factory. Gauge and a knob.

But they are rare, and I have never seen one in a boneyard yet.

Tom

Adumb
03-12-05, 09:08 PM
if i found a 76 olds in a junk yard what would i need to get from it? just the gauge and knob or more?

90Brougham350
03-13-05, 02:21 PM
Well now couldn't you theoretically wire a switch going from a 12V power source such as the fuse box to a toggle switch, and then to the compressor? Isn't that green lead coming from the compressor a test lead? I think you hood a 12V source up to that and the compressor works, so technically, wouldn't putting a toggle in the vehicle allow the driver to activate the pump whenever? I know the suspension will release air to prevent damage, so would this work?

Brian