: Headlamp replacement?

CateraSport
03-11-05, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, my passenger side headlight has a leak and is constantly fogged up. I have a 2000 Sport with the HIDs, and the headlight does absolutely nothing with the lens fogged up.

Does anybody know where I can purchase the headlight housing? Remember I have the projector HIDs... The dealer quoted me $400+ just for the housing, and that is ridiculous.

Thanks!

stevehogan
03-11-05, 12:48 PM
Before you cough up $400, you might try this. The issue is that damp air will get into the headlights by way of the lamp service boots (the rubber covers on the back of the housing). When they are removed to install new bulbs, ambient air gets inside (it will eventually get inside anyway, just from enough temperature cycles. It's not a perfect seal around the boots.) A good way to reduce or eliminate the problem is to open up both boots and use a hair dryer to blow warm air into one of the openings and allow it to exit the other opening. Don't set the hair dryer too hot. The idea is to blow dry air through the housing and remove as much of the damp air as possible. Do this for about 10 or 15 minutes. For good measure, you can place a packet of silica gel inside the housing (tape it to one of the service boots). The silica gel will absorb the remaining moisture and your lamp will remain condensation free for a few years.

CateraSport
03-11-05, 01:06 PM
Awesome, thanks for your help! I'm going to give this a try ASAP!