: My build with N2O

JB_V
08-02-13, 10:19 AM
Okay, so here is what I am going to do for my build (thanks to all that have helped by posting on this forum!)

Intercooler & Throttle body from TimmyC
air intake (spectre)
Nitrous (NX proton kit). I spent some extra dollars to get a remote bottle opener, progressive controller, fuel pressure cut off, pressure gauge, and an upgraded heater.

Also got a wideband O2.

The tuning and nitrous install will be done by Shane at J&S performance in Denver. I will keep everyone posted on the results. Can't wait.

Dave G
08-02-13, 10:22 PM
How big of a shot?

AriGold.
08-03-13, 03:25 AM
Awesome man. Do you have ever any pics of the car? I'm moving to Denver in a few months. I'm from Glenwood springs. Shoot me your number. I had planned to add nitrous to my setup next. After I get this tune worked out.

JB_V
08-03-13, 09:47 AM
Dave - I'll start with a 75 shot and work up to 100. I've been told the motor can take more, but I want to keep it somewhat safe.

Airgold - I'll definitely post pics once the install is done. I'll shoot you my number - always good to have someone local. So far, i really have not seen any other STS-Vs around here.

Charles Warren
08-05-13, 10:59 AM
cool, hope the 75 makes 95 hp. i keep reading on l67 with m90s the n20 takes well to fi setups so hoepfully lc3 likes it as well lol

Angr-E1
08-08-13, 05:30 AM
In for results as I have been thinking of injecting some of the giggle gas into my car.

parkeraire
08-17-13, 10:27 AM
any updates yet?

JB_V
08-25-13, 10:40 AM
sorry..been traveling of late. The heat exchanger is in, but decided to upgrade the stock pump to the jabsco, which just got late last week. The project is a bit behind and hoping to get it wrapped up next week or so. Some pics (not sure if this will work).

AriGold.
08-28-13, 02:38 PM
Great photo. I will forsure be giving you a call next week. I will be in Denver for a few days.

JB_V
09-19-13, 11:25 AM
Wanted to share some pics so far. Hoping to get most of it wrapped up this week and then on the dyno next week.

JB_V
09-19-13, 11:27 AM

JB_V
09-19-13, 11:29 AM

Angr-E1
09-20-13, 06:05 AM
Are you using the stock intake?

JB_V
09-20-13, 01:19 PM
I have the spectre intake.

007STS
01-20-14, 02:56 AM
You have any updates on this project?

JB_V
01-22-14, 11:26 AM
Yup, do have results and dyno numbers. Work travel schedule has been crazy of late, but I will try to get a write-up and some pics posted soon.

007STS
01-24-14, 10:54 PM
Sweet look forward to it!

007STS
01-28-14, 12:03 AM
Hey bro you have then dyno results???

1madstsv
01-28-14, 08:27 AM
Yup, do have results and dyno numbers. Work travel schedule has been crazy of late, but I will try to get a write-up and some pics posted soon.

I think every one just wants the numbers. Not hard to post that.

parkeraire
02-01-14, 08:46 AM
Fail?

1madstsv
02-01-14, 09:48 AM
My guess there is a piston out the side of the block.

Ninja-v
02-09-14, 06:28 PM
Go boom or vroom?

JB_V
08-06-14, 05:39 PM
Guys -

I know this is way overdue (between work travel and kids sports!). However, figure better late then never. Okay, so car did not blow up and actually is doing awesome. I've had the setup for some time now and it works well. To jog the memory, I did TimmyCs intercooler, new intercooler pump, 100 shot of N20 (nx express wet system with heater, remote bottle opener and purge kit), a/f gauge, and a tune. The numbers the car put down are:

without N20 - 437 hp and 364 tq
with N20 513 hp and 515 tq

The setup is super clean - the bottle is hidden in the trunk and all switches are hidden in the console. I used J&S performance in Denver and Shane did a great job - no corners cut. My next steps are (in the next 2 to 3 months) are:

smaller pulley
injectors
meth injection
going back and forth on the headers (need to pass emissions in Denver and need cats) - currently have the borla system.

My only issue with the setup is that I put in a fuel pressure cut-off for the nitrous and that seems to be super temperamental. I think I will install a fuel pressure gauge to be able to adjust it proper during every day driving or maybe even remove. If anyone is in the Denver area and wants to see it just ping me.

Link to some pictures and also the dyno graph.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112870588093147388619/STSV

baller95
08-06-14, 06:21 PM
Dude get a video of this beast ASAP!!

1madstsv
08-06-14, 09:36 PM
Tought it would make more Tq. My c5 makes 400hp-375 and a 125 shot made 530-598 on a NA set up. Boosted setups normaly pick up even more.

----------

But still it should feel real nice

2007blackbty
08-06-14, 11:53 PM
No injectors needed to hit 500+ hp at the wheels?430+ with just intake,throttle body, exhaust and tune?don't add up to me.am I missing something?

JB_V
08-07-14, 02:54 AM
Baller95 -Agreed - i do need to get some video clips. Thinking about picking up one of those GoPros and having some fun :)

1madstsv - I was a bit surprised with the tq number with just a tune, but the N20 did help quite a bit on that front. I think the pulley change might help. And yes, feels great when you get on it. The only gripe is i just replaced the tires and went with all-season (DWS). Good tire, but does not grip well under hard acceleration. I should have gone with summer tires (DW).

2007blackbty - this is with stock injectors. I can try and find the data to see how maxed they were. Keep in mind the nitrous is a wet system - adding additional fuel. Fro the next set of mods i'll definitely be going with bigger injectors.

chouston3v
08-07-14, 09:12 AM
Did you switch to colder plugs?

----------

Also does your nitrous activate through the throttle position sensor? or a microswitch?

Ludacrisvp
08-07-14, 10:41 AM
Too bad they didn't do AWD in the V ... you wouldn't have to worry about the tires not grabbing at launch as much :)

JB_V
08-07-14, 11:33 AM
The plugs are the stock heat range. However, i most likely will go one heat range cooler with the pulley add. The nitrous is activated with a micro-switch placed by the accelerator pedal and will engage at WOT if the system is armed.

baller95
08-07-14, 02:22 PM
Baller95 -Agreed - i do need to get some video clips. Thinking about picking up one of those GoPros and having some fun :)
Good idea :thumbsup:

sts454049
08-10-14, 07:56 AM
looking forward for this !

Rboughne1
08-24-14, 08:48 PM
Guys -

I know this is way overdue (between work travel and kids sports!). However, figure better late then never. Okay, so car did not blow up and actually is doing awesome. I've had the setup for some time now and it works well. To jog the memory, I did TimmyCs intercooler, new intercooler pump, 100 shot of N20 (nx express wet system with heater, remote bottle opener and purge kit), a/f gauge, and a tune. The numbers the car put down are:

The setup is super clean - the bottle is hidden in the trunk and all switches are hidden in the console. I used J&S performance in Denver and Shane did a great job - no corners cut. My next steps are (in the next 2 to 3 months) are:

smaller pulley
injectors
meth injection
going back and forth on the headers (need to pass emissions in Denver and need cats) - currently have the borla system.

My only issue with the setup is that I put in a fuel pressure cut-off for the nitrous and that seems to be super temperamental. I think I will install a fuel pressure gauge to be able to adjust it proper during every day driving or maybe even remove. If anyone is in the Denver area and wants to see it just ping me.

I'm doing TC Fab Headers, and welding into my Borla exhaust two SLP high flow cats ($180.00 or so for the pair) and two new post cat O2 bungs into each pipe extending just aft of the stock cats. Just need to extend the O2 sensor wires aft of the new high flows to the new bung location. SLP makes some pretty compact units with heat shielding on top to mount almost anywhere. I'm screwed here with emissions too... Just waiting for Jet Hot to return the headers, and I'll get it underway. I know, overkill because they're stainless, but screw it...do it once, done forever, no regrets...

Rboughne1
07-07-15, 08:01 PM
No injectors needed to hit 500+ hp at the wheels?430+ with just intake,throttle body, exhaust and tune?don't add up to me.am I missing something?

I agree. His numbers might not be corrected. Or, if they are corrected, the dyno might be a Mustang, which, in my understanding, typically reads higher than a Dynojet (never used one of those, though, just from what I've read. Or maybe I'm backwards on that thinking, and the Mustang reads less). Either way, I don't understand how with his mods the TQ is so low at 364, while his HP is so high at 437 - corrected or uncorrected.

I had the same Spectre intake, a full Borla exhaust (didn't see him even mention an exhaust, blkbty, as you infer), and tune (sure he had the Timmy C TB, but I had the Timmy C headers and deleted cats, so you do the math) and only got a corrected 408/394. It took me the addition of a smaller 2.4" upper pulley, Timmy C 85mm throttle body, Timmy C CAI, 60# injectors, and S/C porting just to get to a corrected 453/449.

----------

Guys -

smaller pulley
injectors
meth injection

Did you do the pulley, injectors, meth, and headers yet?

JB_V
07-08-15, 06:22 PM
Not yet. I would get the pulley/injectors and not sure I'd do the headers or meth at this point. The car is perfect - runs great and zero issues with emissions. Also, I do have the borla system on the car.

Rboughne1
07-08-15, 08:12 PM
Just do the headers, and don't worry about the cats. I didn't. We have emissions AND safety inspection in Eastern PA, and the solution is simple...just don't get it inspected. Cops never look at that sh!t, and even if they do, it's only a ticket. I've gotten parking tickets from cops on my car, without even a TRACE of an inspection sticker ever being present on the glass, literally right under the very wiper they're shoving the ticket. MULTIPLE times. If you were to get caught, just tell 'em you're just getting it back on the road after doing some repair, and going to get it inspected once completed. They're not even gonna care.

----------

And BTW, a pulley, injectors, S/C porting, and headers will make it even MORE perfect, and just as reliable and driveable with a good tune. I THOUGHT I was happy at 408/394 before them too...but ignorance is bliss!

JB_V
07-09-15, 02:06 PM
Thanks. Question: Does your emissions require a dyno based test with the ODB plugged in? And if so, did you have any issues passing it without cats? Are you running the crank pulley or S/C pulley? I've heard both end of the spectrum when it comes to slippage.

Rboughne1
07-09-15, 08:11 PM
Emissions in PA near the major cities is Check Engine Light, visual, and safety, though some areas in the sticks are still just safety and visual. Real hillbilly sh!t...but I'm not that lucky. NJ used to be Dyno and sniffer, visual, and safety. Now it is just CEL, with no visual or safety. But you're missing the point. Just don't get it inspected.

I'm running the 2.4" TimmyC upper pulley. I believe it is 12.5-15% overdrive, as stock sizing is 2.8". If it is adjusted correctly, there is no slippage. D3 has a lower that is 10% overdrive. Timmy C has a lower that is 27% overdrive. I wanted to do Timmy's, but was warned off of it by my tuner, as the IAT2's would be too high, leading to potential reliability issues. According to D3, with anything more than a 10% overdrive, you're just chopping at hot air, and adding no HP. According to TimmyC, though there is no HP gain, there is a MASSIVE torque gain. I split the difference the closest I could, at 12.5-15%. Couldn't be happier.

Bigmizike67
07-21-15, 10:52 AM
So which lower pulley are you running, I have Timmy's upper 2.4, I'm looking to run the gas before Labor Day, already killing them at the track I have injectors ported headers and borla (no resonators)

Rboughne1
07-21-15, 01:39 PM
So which lower pulley are you running, I have Timmy's upper 2.4, I'm looking to run the gas before Labor Day, already killing them at the track I have injectors ported headers and borla (no resonators)

I'm running the 2.4" upper, if indeed it is me you're asking. If you are asking JB-V, neither, I believe, nor is he running an upper. Check out the OperatorRageous thread titled "Running Lean up Top," post #50 ( http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/600073-running-lean-up-top.html ) for an idea of the torque spike TC-Fab's 27% OD Lower provides. Pretty tremendous, though no hp gain due to IAT temps...

Bigmizike67
07-22-15, 12:07 PM
Yes, I thought that I read in the thread that you compromised in the middle, it made me think you had come up with an alternative, I'm presently waiting on my cams to come back from Crower, being reground to accept the gas and extend my rpm curve, I have all Tim's toys trying to break 600 HP, with CHRF doing the heads, it's going to be fun, using Tim's numbers to build off of, Tim is well aware of my highjinks and is awaiting my outcome, I'm trying to boost past 27%, by over sizing the exhaust valve within the head itself, I will post shortly, plus I'm already running the K&B BAP, my Grace is a MmmMonster! Stay tuned, CHRF is putting custom buckets in my heads, it should really turn up, going to try and incorporate more boost, CHRF says the LC3 lower end can handle it, so I'm going down the rabbit hole

Ninja-v
07-22-15, 05:06 PM
You got the heads off already then I assume? If so, did the motor have to come out to take the timing cover off or can you leave that in and slack the chains from the top?

Rboughne1
07-22-15, 09:22 PM
Yes, I thought that I read in the thread that you compromised in the middle, it made me think you had come up with an alternative, I'm presently waiting on my cams to come back from Crower, being reground to accept the gas and extend my rpm curve, I have all Tim's toys trying to break 600 HP, with CHRF doing the heads, it's going to be fun, using Tim's numbers to build off of, Tim is well aware of my highjinks and is awaiting my outcome, I'm trying to boost past 27%, by over sizing the exhaust valve within the head itself, I will post shortly, plus I'm already running the K&B BAP, my Grace is a MmmMonster! Stay tuned, CHRF is putting custom buckets in my heads, it should really turn up, going to try and incorporate more boost, CHRF says the LC3 lower end can handle it, so I'm going down the rabbit hole

Sounds cool. The cams I'm unsure of, as supposedly D3 had issues trying to make more power with new grind profiles due to the VVT. Then again, they weren't running the giggle gas...

baller95
07-23-15, 09:04 AM
Yes, I thought that I read in the thread that you compromised in the middle, it made me think you had come up with an alternative, I'm presently waiting on my cams to come back from Crower, being reground to accept the gas and extend my rpm curve, I have all Tim's toys trying to break 600 HP, with CHRF doing the heads, it's going to be fun, using Tim's numbers to build off of, Tim is well aware of my highjinks and is awaiting my outcome, I'm trying to boost past 27%, by over sizing the exhaust valve within the head itself, I will post shortly, plus I'm already running the K&B BAP, my Grace is a MmmMonster! Stay tuned, CHRF is putting custom buckets in my heads, it should really turn up, going to try and incorporate more boost, CHRF says the LC3 lower end can handle it, so I'm going down the rabbit holeDamn! You should create a build log thread or something!

Bigmizike67
07-23-15, 01:16 PM
Check this out, CHRF makes resistors designed specifically for our cars, will extend our curve significantly and belive me I'm rest assured of the trap doors that will open once I'm into this, but we will see, CHRF only does Northstars so this is their specialty so we will see exactly what they know on this build, I will start a new thread once I'm starting to put her back together, presently completely apart, so stay tuned, I was shopping gas kits, they told me to machine right into the head ports, and hide everything in the valley, with that level of boost the car will need a direct shot, I'm going to put mine on the top end, to finish the race, I still can not get this car to hook though, presently running 305 DOT'S if there is no weight transfer we might have to bag this beast and drop her on her belly for traction, or maybe just the rear slightly below the front, two weeks ago a CTSV spec wagon won the street class here at our local track, he was dragging everyone out their, only comp was an silver STS-V, he pulled hard but spun of the line mostly causing him to loose, not sure of his setup but once he got going he almost caught the wagon, I did not see any Timmy C mods in the grill and he was talking, but he was flying, he was on stock tires though, might very well have been his demise, but it was great watching the Caddy's do their thing out there so it feels like X-mas eve for me but I have been working on this for a year now, shooting for a Labor Day break out at the track, I will keep you posted

TimmyC
07-24-15, 08:19 PM
Check this out, CHRF makes resistors designed specifically for our cars, will extend our curve significantly

"Resistors?"

GMrules
08-06-15, 10:12 PM
"Resistors?"

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

I'm surprised the op chose a wet system. I didn't think injecting fuel before a supercharger was the best thing to do. First, a supercharger is a compressor, fuel a liquid. Liquids DO NOT compress (for all practical purposes). About 8% (1 / 12.7afr = .08) of the volume going through the blower will be uncompressable and just reducing the amount of air that can be pumped through. It kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Second, I'm not sure I'd want fuel in contact with seals within the blower. I doubt they were designed for it and there's no reason for it.

A dry system would be better suited for these cars, except maybe a direct inject system like one poster mentioned having or doing. For the price of a larger charge air heat exchanger you can get a dry 35-250hp N2O kit. The N2O itself will do far more to reduce IAT2s than a larger radiator will (of course this would only be when N2O is in use). N2O makes a great intercooler. A N2O kit should actually make more power on a SC engine than on a NA engine due to the intake air cooling effect.

Another issue is fuel. With a wet system you need added fuel and a fuel controller... and asprin for the headaches from getting a wet system installed and tuned. On a dry system you only have nitrous to plumb. The stock ECM handles the fuel, adding more for the "extra air," up to the limits of the fuel injectors and pump, with no tuning "required." Don't quote me but I think I remember figuring the stock injectors will feed up to about 575hp (crank) if pushed to 95% duty cycle (I think the stock limit is a DC of 80%, so higher would require a tune). So, it depends on other mods and how much N2O to determine if you need bigger injectors.

You can get a set of new 60# Bosch for $300/shipped, and they would handle the full 250hp extra (I don't know about the stock pump). New injectors would require a tune to set the new flow rate.

I've been thinking of a small dry shot (35-50) for my SRX-V project, mainly for the cooling effect when running a 2.3" pulley.

baller95
08-07-15, 08:10 AM
^ Will the 2.3" pulley fit the on the SC snout?

GMrules
08-07-15, 10:41 AM
It's supposed to fit. Measuring the machining tool, it leaves a 2" diameter snout and the ID of the 2.3" pulley is 2.06" so it should. I'll let you know; I hope to get around to that job in the next day or so.

baller95
08-07-15, 11:36 AM
It's supposed to fit. Measuring the machining tool, it leaves a 2" diameter snout and the ID of the 2.3" pulley is 2.06" so it should. I'll let you know; I hope to get around to that job in the next day or so.Sounds good, let us know!

GMrules
08-10-15, 12:36 AM
^ Will the 2.3" pulley fit the on the SC snout?

The 2.3" pulley fits after machining the snout. I'm glad that chore is over. I tore up 2 pullers trying to get the stock pulley off. I finally used a Dremel tool to cut a split in it, all but a small part the disc wouldn't reach. Machining the snout took longer than expected but went fastest when I operated my drill motor in many bursts instead of constant speed for a while, before tightening the spring again. Pressing the new hub on was tough, even with the hub heated to 600*, anti-seize on the shaft, and a ball-bearing equipped installation tool.

baller95
08-10-15, 12:56 AM
The 2.3" pulley fits after machining the snout. I'm glad that chore is over. I tore up 2 pullers trying to get the stock pulley off. I finally used a Dremel tool to cut a split in it, all but a small part the disc wouldn't reach. Machining the snout took longer than expected but went fastest when I operated my drill motor in many bursts instead of constant speed for a while, before tightening the spring again. Pressing the new hub on was tough, even with the hub heated to 600*, anti-seize on the shaft, and a ball-bearing equipped installation tool.Sounds like a lot of work but glad you hear it worked out! I'm curious how much power you're going to get from that. You might be the first with a 2.3"!

GMrules
08-10-15, 09:58 AM
Sounds like a lot of work but glad you hear it worked out! I'm curious how much power you're going to get from that. You might be the first with a 2.3"!

Frankly, if my engine wasn't out so I could do it without taking the blower off or apart, I would have sent it to TimmyC. I certainly didn't save money after buying the machining tool, and tearing up two pullers.

Oh no, I've read of others with 2.3" pulleys. SmoothFlow has been making them for some time. The quality is great, so is the price. A 2.3" kit with an extra 2.8" pulley was $210.

Theoretically each 0.1" equals about 0.5 PSI, 2.3" = 14.5 PSI, 2.4" = 14 PSI,... 2.8" = 12 PSI, etc.

baller95
08-10-15, 10:20 AM
Ah ok that makes sense. So what else are you waiting to do for this project? (You should start a new build thread by the way!)

GMrules
08-10-15, 03:40 PM
I'm mostly waiting for the summer heat to subside. I'm just kinda piddling for another month. I just have a few more minor things to sort out with hoses, heater, fuel, EVAP, etc. I just looked into the next to the last thing left unexplored, engine oil cooling, and found mine already has it. The only thing left is the starter wiring; the new engine has the wiring coming out from under the intake and has connectors on the ends so I suspect that won't be an issue.

I picked up the last electrical connector I needed today so I can now make my supplemental engine wiring harness for the extra sensors, etc. I may go ahead and hook it in to the ECM and fuse block some morning when cool so it'll be ready to just plug in to the new engine.

I will post a new thread on my project once completed, maybe a few... engine swap, paddle shift, CD to Nav upgrade (hopefully tomorrow morning's project).

I need to correct my previous statement about stock injectors having a duty cycle limit of 80%. I don't know of an injector duty cycle limit but there is a fuel pump duty cycle limit. Stock is 90%. What it was is the 80% duty cycle is what is programmed for the injectors to flow at maximum HP at a given pressure, i.e. for the 4.4 to flow enough to feed 469 HP a 80% duty cycle is required.

As far as I know the injectors can be controlled and will flow all the way to static condition (100%) without any tuning but pushing too far is obviously a bad idea, better to get bigger injectors.

baller95
08-10-15, 03:57 PM
What transmission are you going to use?

GMrules
08-10-15, 05:14 PM
For as long as it lasts, the original 6L50E but with a stronger converter, zip kit in the valve body, and tuning to increase pressures. Those things will help some, and I don't plan on flogging it hard often, but I eventually plan on putting in a 6L80E, either when I find one at a decent price or when my 6L50E breaks. When I bought my engines (I bought 3, sold 2) I tried to talk the guy into a deal on a new 6L80E AWD but he wouldn't budge on his $3000 price.

Rboughne1
08-15-15, 11:12 PM
For as long as it lasts, the original 6L50E but with a stronger converter, zip kit in the valve body, and tuning to increase pressures. Those things will help some, and I don't plan on flogging it hard often, but I eventually plan on putting in a 6L80E, either when I find one at a decent price or when my 6L50E breaks. When I bought my engines (I bought 3, sold 2) I tried to talk the guy into a deal on a new 6L80E AWD but he wouldn't budge on his $3000 price.

6L80E Trans: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-2006-CADILLAC-STS-V-SERIES-4-4L-RWD-/231653732761?hash=item35efa37199&vxp=mtr

Ninja-v
08-15-15, 11:50 PM
Awe man that thing is f'd inside and out! It kills me to see those images! Paper bag to mouth!

GMrules
08-16-15, 09:49 AM
6L80E Trans: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-2006-CADILLAC-STS-V-SERIES-4-4L-RWD-/231653732761?hash=item35efa37199&vxp=mtr

Not a bad price but it's RWD, not AWD. I may eventually have to convert to RWD, it just depends on what breaks.

Caddymac101
08-23-15, 03:03 PM
Out of curiosity have you modified anything internally? Like the upper cams, lift, angle etc? Northstar are built to operate at the factory hp and TQ, if you want more power the right way you need to modify everything including the engine management system and the transmission controller. To be honest the only thing you can leave stock on a northstar is the camshaft. It supports 300-500hp easily. Upgrade everything else.

Check out chrfab.com best people for any and all northstar mods, hands down the build anything 500-2000 hp.

Caddymac101
08-23-15, 03:04 PM
Imagine a 600+hp sts 4!!! With stsv brake and suspension upgrades.